Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students

    Hi All-
    When I began this journey with my husband, we were both lost as to which direction to go and what tests to take first. With that in mind, I wanted to list the tests that I took for my Psychology degree and the order in which I took them, in the hope that this will help to guide new students. This is not to say that this is the way that you should travel. It is just to give you an idea of maybe where to begin.

    I started when I was 47 years old. It has been a difficult but very rewarding journey. I've made several friends along the way who have helped me, and without them I think I would have taken many tests that I didn't need. At times I was so discouraged I didn't think I would ever be able to accomplish this. One time I packed it all up and said "enough". I just wanted to share this so if you get discouraged, I want you to know that others have also. Just don't quit! Keep trying! You can do this too!

    Sociology (CLEP)
    Macroeconomics (CLEP)
    Microeconomics (CLEP)
    US Govt (CLEP)
    Psychology (CLEP)
    US Hist 1 (CLEP)
    US Hist 2 (CLEP)
    (I needed all the previous tests to be able to take Social Studies & History. They could be taken in any order, although I would recommend starting with Sociology and then Psychology. As Macro & Micro are harder exams, I would recommend taking them after the two History exams.)
    Social Studies & History (CLEP)*
    English Composition (ECE)
    Statistics (DSST)
    College Algebra (CLEP)
    Humanities (CLEP)*
    Accounting (CLEP)*
    Principles of Finance (DSST)
    Ethics (DSST)
    Ethics (ECE)
    College Math (CLEP)*
    Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (CLEP)*
    Introduction to Computing (DSST)
    Info Systems & Computer Application (CLEP)
    Operations Management (TECEP)
    Principles of Management (CLEP)
    Principles of Supervision (DSST)
    Human Resources Mgmt (DSST)
    Principles of Marketing (CLEP)
    Introduction to Business (DSST)
    Information Literacy (ECE)
    Introduction to Business Law (1) (CLEP)
    FEMA (2 credits)
    Business Policy (TECEP)
    Human Growth & Development (CLEP)
    Introduction to Education Psychology (CLEP)
    Abnormal Psychology (ECE)
    Research Methods (ECE)
    Adulthood & Aging (ECE)
    Foundations of Gerontoloty (ECE)
    Social Psychology (ECE)
    Organization Behavior (ECE)

    *These exams were worth 6 credits each; all other exams listed were worth 3 credits each. NOTE: the 6 credit CLEP Accounting exam is no longer available and has been replaced by a 3 credit exam that only covers one half of the original exam.

    If you are taking College Math, I would highly recommend taking it right after or right before College Algebra. If you need Money and Banking, I would take it right after Macro and Micro (taken in that order). I took Intro to Business AFTER the business courses because it made it very easy to just go over InstantCert. The only reason I saved ECE Organizational Behavior for last was to see what grade I needed for my GPA; however, a good time to take OB would be right after or right before taking the DSST or ECE Human Resources Management exam. The ECE Information Literacy exam can be taken at any time and does provide some valuable information.

    I feel it is very important that you obtain a copy of the "Student Guide to Credit by Examination at Excelsior College" assessment catalog. This catalog will clearly show which CLEP, DSST, and ECE exams meet each of the degree requirements and the scores required to pass each exam. This catalog does not include the Thomas Edison exams (TECEP) that can fulfill some of the requirements.

    Please note that the requirements for the Excelsior College Psychology degree have changed as of January 1, 2007. You can no longer completely test out of a Psychology degree (please see the Excelsior College School of Liberal Arts catalog for details).

    I hope that this will be of some help to those of you just beginning on your journey. Remember that all of our journeys will be different, but hopefully this will give some guidelines to those who need a starting point.
    Dawn
    Taking the Road Less Traveled
    The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

    BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
    Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
    After MIS I'll be halfway there!
    72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
    Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
    12 credits completed toward my accounting degree

  • #2
    Excellent advice, information, and of course portrait of what hardwork and dedicated effort can lead to once you learn how draw a map!

    Congrats!
    ShotoJuku +
    A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
    IC Forums Senior Moderator
    Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

    Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here ---> http://www.degreeforum.net/general-e...html#post59179
    God Bless The USA http://www.degreeforum.net/core/imag...es/patriot.gif

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by yutzyj
      You can no longer completely test out of a Psychology degree (please see the Excelsior College School of Liberal Arts catalog for details)
      I downloaded that and I can't find specifically what you're talking about... or I just can't figure it out! Any help would be appreciated, since I intend on doing what you did.

      ~Terry

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Banta
        I downloaded that and I can't find specifically what you're talking about... or I just can't figure it out! Any help would be appreciated, since I intend on doing what you did.

        ~Terry
        Terry,

        Here is the post that snazzlefrag made in September 2006 after the changes were announced. I hope this helps.

        JoAnne


        Having now read the new requirements for the Psychology major (effective for anyone who enrolls Jan 1st, 2007, or later), it appears that there will be two key areas that can no longer be fulfilled via exams:

        1) History and Systems/History of Psychology/Psychological Foundations.
        2) Biological and Physiological Foundations
        (Biopsychology, Physiological Psychology, Animal Behavior, Comparative Psychology, Perception, Sensation, Neuroscience).

        All other requirements can be completed by exam (see below). The major still requires 30 credits (at least 15 upper level).

        Here is one possible path to completing all but two of the new requirements via examination:

        ----
        I. Core Requirements:

        A. General Psychology (CLEP Introductory Psychology)
        B. Statistics (DANTES Principles of Statistics)
        C. Research Methods/Experimental Psychology/Experimental Design (ECE Research Methods in Psychology)
        D. History and Systems/History of Psychology/Psychological Foundations (No exam available)

        II. Intermediate and upper level courses in central knowledge areas or sub disciplines of psychology, including a minimum of one course in each of the five areas from among the following:

        1) Biological and Physiological Foundations (No exam available)
        2) Developmental Perspectives (CLEP Human Growth, or DANTES Lifespan Development, or ECE Lifespan Development)
        3) Social Influences (ECE Social Psychology)
        4) Abnormal Psychology (ECE Abnormal Psychology)
        5) Cognitive Bases (CLEP Educational Psychology...assuming they will still accept it under their new policy)

        III. Electives (as needed):
        (You will need to make sure you have a total of at least 15 upper level credits)

        DANTES Organizational Behavior, or ECE Organizational Behavior.
        ECE Foundations of Gerontology.
        ECE Psychology of Adulthood & Aging.
        ----

        Don't take my word for it! I'm just some dork writing an opinion on a message board. Because of the new policy, it will be absolutely essential (now more than ever) that you get your degree plan approved in writing by Excelsior College.

        Hope that helps,
        Snazzlefrag
        Last edited by Kiwi Lover; 08-28-2007, 09:51 PM.
        BS - General Business - June 2007
        Excelsior College

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting. I know that I really should try and enroll in Excelsior as soon as possible so I can get some professional guidance, but I don't really have the money to do so right now. So, I'm just going to take what tests I can and deal with these other courses when the time comes. Seems like a relatively minor difference though.

          Just a thought and probably something I'd have to ask the people at Excelsior about... but what about the Psychology GRE? It seems possible that the credits there could count towards filling the void.

          Thanks for the reply, JoAnne.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just getting started

            Please help! 54 yo & Just getting started with excellsior Lpn to Rn degree. I need to take all my clep exam's and decided to start with sociology 1st. Have college net work study guide however any help is greatly appreciated!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Banta

              Just a thought and probably something I'd have to ask the people at Excelsior about... but what about the Psychology GRE? It seems possible that the credits there could count towards filling the void.
              Does anyone know the answer to this about the GRE? I am interested in the Psychology major but only if I can test out of it.
              Excelsior College
              B.S. Liberal Studies - Criminal Justice/Protective Services (07/2008)

              TUI University
              M.S. Emergency and Disaster Management (09/2009)

              DSST's Civil War - 65 (A), Drug and Alcohol Abuse - 58 (A)

              CLEP's A&I Lit - 72

              ECE's Abnormal Psych - B, Research Methods in Psych - A, PAA - A, FoG - A

              TECEP's English Composition I - 98

              Comment


              • #8
                Okay, I am confused about the whole Excelsior college, Is this a school where you pretty much just pay and they give you a degree and you can transfer as much credit as you can or something?
                Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

                Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

                Traditional: (43)

                FEMA: (13)

                Military: (70+)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shadowless
                  Okay, I am confused about the whole Excelsior college, Is this a school where you pretty much just pay and they give you a degree and you can transfer as much credit as you can or something?

                  Excelsior is a regionally accredited college focused on assisting adult learners (many, but not all with prior college credits) begin or complete a degree.

                  To this end, one accumulate credits in a variety of ways, including: taking online courses through Excelsior, testing out of courses through Excelsior ECE, CLEP, DANTES or TESC (Thomas Edison State College) exams, transferring courses or applying for prior learning assessment. With many of Excelsior's degree programs, one may test of all the requirements (with the exception of a required, 1 credit Information Literacy course).

                  Excelsior College is one of three unaffiliated colleges referred to on this and other DL forums as the "Big 3."

                  The "Big 3" schools consist of:

                  Excelsior College - http://www.excelsior.edu
                  Thomas Edison State College - Thomas Edison State College
                  Charter Oak State College - Charter Oak State College - distance learning college, online degrees, courses

                  The commonality of these three institutions is that one may transfer in credit, or test out of 100% of the requirements for a degree, without the need to take course. Now with this general statement comes a caveat. One may not test out of every degree program (e.g. Excelsior's Biology, Chemistry and Physics BA/BS programs require a certain number or science courses (w/ labs) to be completed in the classroom - or online if that is possible).

                  Good luck,
                  Tom
                  Last edited by japhy4529; 11-23-2007, 11:32 AM.
                  Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

                  - Calvin Coolidge

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So they take all transfer credits as well then?

                    How much does it cost to go through the process? Do you have to take the tests through them? If not then do you just transfer all your credits once you make it to the 120 total credits or so that are needed and pretty much pay them to give you the degree?
                    Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

                    Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

                    Traditional: (43)

                    FEMA: (13)

                    Military: (70+)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by yutzyj
                      Hi All-
                      When I began this journey with my husband, we were both lost as to which direction to go and what tests to take first. With that in mind, I wanted to list the tests that I took for my Psychology degree and the order in which I took them, in the hope that this will help to guide new students. This is not to say that this is the way that you should travel. It is just to give you an idea of maybe where to begin.

                      I started when I was 47 years old. It has been a difficult but very rewarding journey. I've made several friends along the way who have helped me, and without them I think I would have taken many tests that I didn't need. At times I was so discouraged I didn't think I would ever be able to accomplish this. One time I packed it all up and said "enough". I just wanted to share this so if you get discouraged, I want you to know that others have also. Just don't quit! Keep trying! You can do this too!

                      Sociology (CLEP)
                      Macroeconomics (CLEP)
                      Microeconomics (CLEP)
                      US Govt (CLEP)
                      Psychology (CLEP)
                      US Hist 1 (CLEP)
                      US Hist 2 (CLEP)
                      (I needed all the previous tests to be able to take Social Studies & History. They could be taken in any order, although I would recommend starting with Sociology and then Psychology. As Macro & Micro are harder exams, I would recommend taking them after the two History exams.)
                      Social Studies & History (CLEP)*
                      English Composition (ECE)
                      Statistics (DSST)
                      College Algebra (CLEP)
                      Humanities (CLEP)*
                      Accounting (CLEP)*
                      Principles of Finance (DSST)
                      Ethics (DSST)
                      Ethics (ECE)
                      College Math (CLEP)*
                      Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (CLEP)*
                      Introduction to Computing (DSST)
                      Info Systems & Computer Application (CLEP)
                      Operations Management (TECEP)
                      Principles of Management (CLEP)
                      Principles of Supervision (DSST)
                      Human Resources Mgmt (DSST)
                      Principles of Marketing (CLEP)
                      Introduction to Business (DSST)
                      Information Literacy (ECE)
                      Introduction to Business Law (1) (CLEP)
                      FEMA (2 credits)
                      Business Policy (TECEP)
                      Human Growth & Development (CLEP)
                      Introduction to Education Psychology (CLEP)
                      Abnormal Psychology (ECE)
                      Research Methods (ECE)
                      Adulthood & Aging (ECE)
                      Foundations of Gerontoloty (ECE)
                      Social Psychology (ECE)
                      Organization Behavior (ECE)

                      *These exams were worth 6 credits each; all other exams listed were worth 3 credits each. NOTE: the 6 credit CLEP Accounting exam is no longer available and has been replaced by a 3 credit exam that only covers one half of the original exam.

                      If you are taking College Math, I would highly recommend taking it right after or right before College Algebra. If you need Money and Banking, I would take it right after Macro and Micro (taken in that order). I took Intro to Business AFTER the business courses because it made it very easy to just go over InstantCert. The only reason I saved ECE Organizational Behavior for last was to see what grade I needed for my GPA; however, a good time to take OB would be right after or right before taking the DSST or ECE Human Resources Management exam. The ECE Information Literacy exam can be taken at any time and does provide some valuable information.

                      I feel it is very important that you obtain a copy of the "Student Guide to Credit by Examination at Excelsior College" assessment catalog. This catalog will clearly show which CLEP, DSST, and ECE exams meet each of the degree requirements and the scores required to pass each exam. This catalog does not include the Thomas Edison exams (TECEP) that can fulfill some of the requirements.

                      Please note that the requirements for the Excelsior College Psychology degree have changed as of January 1, 2007. You can no longer completely test out of a Psychology degree (please see the Excelsior College School of Liberal Arts catalog for details).

                      I hope that this will be of some help to those of you just beginning on your journey. Remember that all of our journeys will be different, but hopefully this will give some guidelines to those who need a starting point.
                      Hello,

                      Would you please show which exams from the above list counted toward your Psych major?

                      Thanks,
                      Tom
                      Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

                      - Calvin Coolidge

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shadowless
                        So they take all transfer credits as well then?

                        How much does it cost to go through the process? Do you have to take the tests through them? If not then do you just transfer all your credits once you make it to the 120 total credits or so that are needed and pretty much pay them to give you the degree?
                        Yes, Excelsior will accept most transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges or universities (contact them for info on accepting credits from nationally accredited schools). They will not accept transfer credits with a grade of "D" or "F", nor will they accept developmental or remedial courses in transfer.

                        While you may wait to enroll until you reach 120 credits and just hope for the best, I would suggest submitting an online application (this will run you just $75) and send in your transcripts for an unofficial evaluation. At least you will then know what credits you still need to complete your degree.

                        If you do not have any (or very few) credits accumulated at this point, just take classes or exams that you know (or are fairly certain) will transfer to Excelsior.

                        You may register (for free) on the Excelsior website (http://www.excelsior.edu), to download detailed information. Be sure to download the following document (in PDF format): "A student guide to credit by examination at Excelsior College." Also, if you are interested in pursuing a specific major, download the appropriate document that begins with "Guidelines for the major in XXX."

                        Good luck!
                        - Tom
                        Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

                        - Calvin Coolidge

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          New and confused

                          Okay being new and confused I have a question or two. I am in need of testing out of 9 Upper division interdisciplinary studies. The school I am attending is University of Phoenix online to finish up a Bachelor's in Nursing. Of course no one has told me anything about testing out of subjects until the last two weeks of my degree when I am told I still need the 9 hours. So the counselor tells me I can take a DSST and 2 in Excelsior. So my question is that for the Excelsior I have to register for my tests through them and then go test at a Pearson site? I pay money to Excelsior, think this is around $205 a class, and then what about does it cost for the sitting of exam itself? Like I said I am really new at this..... and I am needing to try and test out before May 19, 2008. Crazy I know. Thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by steener28
                            Okay being new and confused I have a question or two. I am in need of testing out of 9 Upper division interdisciplinary studies. The school I am attending is University of Phoenix online to finish up a Bachelor's in Nursing. Of course no one has told me anything about testing out of subjects until the last two weeks of my degree when I am told I still need the 9 hours. So the counselor tells me I can take a DSST and 2 in Excelsior. So my question is that for the Excelsior I have to register for my tests through them and then go test at a Pearson site? I pay money to Excelsior, think this is around $205 a class, and then what about does it cost for the sitting of exam itself? Like I said I am really new at this..... and I am needing to try and test out before May 19, 2008. Crazy I know. Thanks
                            I think someone should move this post to another spot on the forum. Anyway, in answer to your question, I would recommend taking one of the Excelsior (ECE) nursing exams. There are a number of 3, 4, 6 and 8 credit exams available. The cost of each exam is around $200. You could take one ECE nursing exam worth 8 credits and one other 3 credit exam. For more info, go to excelsior.edu and register for free. Once you are registered, go to "My EC" and download the appropriate PDF file.

                            Make sure to check with Phoenix first, before taking any exams, to make sure that they will accept this type of exam and to make sure it does not duplicate a nursing class that you have already taken.

                            - Tom
                            Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

                            - Calvin Coolidge

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by steener28
                              Okay being new and confused I have a question or two. I am in need of testing out of 9 Upper division interdisciplinary studies. The school I am attending is University of Phoenix online to finish up a Bachelor's in Nursing. Of course no one has told me anything about testing out of subjects until the last two weeks of my degree when I am told I still need the 9 hours. So the counselor tells me I can take a DSST and 2 in Excelsior. So my question is that for the Excelsior I have to register for my tests through them and then go test at a Pearson site? I pay money to Excelsior, think this is around $205 a class, and then what about does it cost for the sitting of exam itself? Like I said I am really new at this..... and I am needing to try and test out before May 19, 2008. Crazy I know. Thanks
                              You register and pay for the exam on the Excelsior College web site, then you go to the Pearson Vue web site to schedule an appointment to take the exam at one of their testing centers. There is no charge beyond what you pay Excelsior. You may need to wait a couple of days for Pearson Vue to have the registration information from Excelsior. Have two pieces of ID with you the first time you go to a Pearson Vue testing center -- they are very rigorous about confirming your identity and making sure you have nothing with you when you go into the testing room.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X