Strategic Management TECEP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Management TECEP

Has anyone taken the TECEP test for Strategic Management? What was your experience? Best study method?

I'm trying to decide whether to take TECEP or the Penn Foster course. I have 2 classes left Strategic Management and Business in Society. I'm looking for the quickest, easiest way to check these boxes. I hoping to finish before 12/31/14. Any suggestions?
    TESC
    BSBA-GM
    MSM OL

ALEKS
    Inter. Algebra
    College Algebra

CLEP
    Principles of Marketing

DSST
    Intro to Computing
    Management Info Systems
    Business Ethics&Society

SL
    English Comp I&II
    Cultural Anthropology
    Business Ethics
    Intro to Business
    Principles of Management
    Western Civil I&II
    US History I&II
    Intro to Religion
    Intro to Philosophy
    Macroeconomics
    Microeconomics
    Managerial & Financial Accounting
    Intro to Sociology
    Business Statistics
    Business Law
    Business Communication
    Organizational Behavior
    Student Success
    Intro to Environment
    Intro to Nutrition
    Accounting I&II
    Personal Finance
    American Government

Sophia
    Project Management

Penn Foster
    Financial Management
    Strategic Management

TESU - MSM Courses
    Marketing Management
    Leadership in the 21st
    HR Management
    Economic Issues in Org
    Accounting for Managers
    Leading Change
    Leading Strategic Change
    Contemporary Issues in Leadership
    Org Leadership I & II
    Org Research
    Capstone

I have no personal experience with either of these, but the general consensus seems to favor Penn Foster for Strategic Management and DSST Business Ethics and Society. Good luck, you are so close!
    BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
    83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Comment

I need to take both of these at some point in the future. As, KayV has stated, the Penn Foster course is a pretty popular way to complete the credit for Strategic Management. That's the way I'm going to complete it as well. Just be aware that you have to attend three weekly webinars so the course takes a minimum of three weeks to complete.

I am going to be taking the Business in Society TECEP at some point, as I need to ensure I have the 8 total TECEPs required for the Per Credit tuition, but I'm not looking forward to it due to the fact that it has not one but three essays.
      Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
      Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
      Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully

Comment

BUMP I've been wondering about the Strategic Management TECEP myself. I was planning to register for it this term. I even ordered the textbook from amazon two weeks ago and it hasn't been shipped so I cancelled it and registered for a different set of TECEPS. Now I'm considering the Penn Foster route. I have seen a lot of people saying that the Penn Foster course can be done in a week but requires 3 chat webinars (1 per week), so it actually takes three weeks to complete it. Cost is a little more for Penn Foster, non resident tecep $111 +$20 for used textbook versus about $200 for Penn Foster. Hope someone can tell us just how deep the TECEP is so we can decide.
        Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
        10/31/14=24 credits
        11/30/14=47 credits
        12/31/14=12 credits
        01/31/15= 15 credits
        02/13/15= DONE!!!
        ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
        CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
        DSST: Supervision
        STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
        TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
        PENN FOSTER: Finance

Comment

Originally posted by Jima60 View Post
          Has anyone taken the TECEP test for Strategic Management? What was your experience? Best study method?

I'm trying to decide whether to take TECEP or the Penn Foster course. I have 2 classes left Strategic Management and Business in Society. I'm looking for the quickest, easiest way to check these boxes. I hoping to finish before 12/31/14. Any suggestions?
          Hello,

I took the TECEP and have read over the study guide for the Penn Foster course. My advice, go with PF it is so much easier. If you need to take the TECEP let me know, I still have my notes and quite a bit of study material to prepare for the exam. I studied for much longer than 3 weeks for the TECEP, it was actually probably close to six weeks before I felt ready to test.
          "Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
          AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
          BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
          AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
          BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔ)!

Comment

Do NOT plan on getting PF's class done in three weeks. While you might be able to get the exams, chat rooms, and project done within three weeks, the webinars were not offered every week. (Was there a post that said that there was a new instructor? That might have changed the scheduling.) It's sort of like a 12-step program in that you just jump in, register for three webinars, and take them. One of my webinars was cancelled a few hours before it was to begin, and there wasn't a webinar every Sunday evening.

PF was good about grading the project (paper) quickly. With the exams, you get two opportunities for each test. The chat rooms are as easy or as hard as you make them. The chat postings are a bit harder than getting a degree from UNC in that you actually have to SHOW up, but not much harder than that!
            TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Comment

I am planning on taking this test with in a few weeks, any notes or tips would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by spmartin94 View Post
                I am planning on taking this test with in a few weeks, any notes or tips would be appreciated
                check your inbox
                "Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
                AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Comment

I know it's been years, but do you by chance still have those notes handy on TECEP Strategic Management?

Comment

Did you pass the TECEP Strategic Management? I'm close to taking it but don't find much input on it in this site...finding the material very readable but a little worried as it's my last 3 credits...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by EMPcat View Post
                      I know it's been years, but do you by chance still have those notes handy on TECEP Strategic Management?

Check your PM

TESC:
                      AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Comment

Back to update...I took the TECEP last night. I don't know my score, but I feel like I passed. I studied heavily for about 2 weeks.

1. I have taken several TECEPS and the exam descriptions consistently match what is on the exam. This one was on par too. I always suggest getting the textbook and focusing your study time on information in the exam description.

2. I absolutely would not attempt to take this exam without background course work. Take Organizational Behavior, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics first. I was able to get 7/10 of the m/c practice questions right based on prior study alone. I came with prior knowledge of economics, organizational structure, centralized/decentralized decision making, corporate culture, acquisitions, mission, vision, SWOT, benchmarking, and a few other tidbits that cut down on my study time.

3. With that said, a couple of the essay questions are deep. I had the suggested text, but I HATE that they pull answers from information that isn't in diagrams, bulleted list, italicized, SOMETHING to indicate that it is important enough to be tested on. Anything in a list, you'd better study. Almost all of the essay questions (and they are 3-4 part questions) come in the form of "list the 5 steps of this" or "Give 4 reasons for blah blah blah". There were 2 parts in the essay questions I could not answer. When I went back to find the answers in the textbook, sure enough, it was buried in paragraphs; not highlighted as a core concept, not a learning objective, not even bold printed. Probably lost 10 points on too-deep test material. I felt really good on almost all the other essay and short answer questions though, so I didn't sweat it. Just annoyed that they designed the test that way. I keep reminding myself I only need 60% to pass.

4. My test was very heavy on corporate culture, strategic alliances, strategy for competing internationally, diversification strategy (specifically: strategic fit, mode of entry, industry attractiveness). Saw a good chunk on internal and external environment.
                        Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
                        10/31/14=24 credits
                        11/30/14=47 credits
                        12/31/14=12 credits
                        01/31/15= 15 credits
                        02/13/15= DONE!!!
                        ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
                        CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
                        DSST: Supervision
                        STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
                        TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
                        PENN FOSTER: Finance

Comment

Hi - I'm getting all of the lower level tests done first to get my base knowledge set and will be done with them in March. And then I plan on taking the Strategic Management TECEP in April. I agree with iwant2stalku that TECEPs overall are very true to the outlines on the TESC website. AND they will throw a question from deep in the info at you.

I will be getting the book to study but any notes or study guides would be greatly appreciated.
                          -Dina
                          MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
                          BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
                          AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999

Comment

Originally posted by passit1 View Post
                            I will be getting the book to study but any notes or study guides would be greatly appreciated.
                            Sent you a PM.

TESC:
                            AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Comment

Just took this CBT today, minimal studying due to work and life stuff that came up.

iwant2stalku nailed it in the head for the background info you should already know and the lists; some questions are pure definition, although there was one very insultingly simple math/finance question I ran into (if you can pass Principles of Finance, which you already should have, this should be a joke). Either way, it's a capstone for a reason, so treat it as such. Much of the textbook is review/"fluff", but where I got caught up in taking the exam is that all of the essay questions involves lists, and at times whole sections (broken down as learning objectives in the recommended textbook). My original plan to overkill this exam was to write down all lists and memorize them, but illness and what I listed above got in the way and I felt like giving the exam my money's worth, if nothing else.

That said, I used the previous edition of the textbook, finished within an hour, and despite cramming for two days (although I studied most of what bricabrac has early on), don't really feel like I was sweating the exam much. Some of the essay I flatout didn't know, but either way I could answer/BS everything, so I have that satisfaction at least. Either way I'll find out in two weeks if my money was wasted on this TECEP or not.

Stuff I still remember:

Graphs and other illustrations (but not cases/examples of other companies doing things; there was not a single specific instance of any particular company mentioned in any of the questions) can be asked about, in both multiple choice and short answer form.
                              Mission vs Vision
                              Diversifying business tests, kinds of new businesses to pursue, and questions to ask (i.e. the list of lists)
                              Strategic alliance (practically everything about it; if there's a list, guess what? Yup)
                              Corporate culture definition, and every list about it. (I BSed everything about this one, as I ran out of time cramming before the test could start)

Oh, and for those who have the textbooks, you know how there's a counterargument for practically everything? You'd want to know that too.

Last but certainly not least, bricabrac, thank you once again; even if I failed this exam, this was a joy to study through, and your stuff really made the actually enjoy reading through it.

Now if y'all don't mind, I'm going through my tub of chunky mint chocolate chip ice cream and seeing how much I can down in one gulp.

Comment

Working...
                              X