Which College?: New and Overwhelmed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which College?: New and Overwhelmed.

I am so thankful for this site, I have been reading through the forums and the wiki. The only issue with reading the forum is that I am ending up seeing snapshots along the length of a few-year timeline with often contradicting information. I would start to put together a plan in my head only to find a thread where such and such college had a major change, making them less optimal.

To avoid asking for an entire Plan all at once without attempting myself to put forth the effort, I will ask simply: For someone with only about 18 random college credits mostly in electives and no degree, which of the Big 3 is t he FASTEST to get a Bachelor's? I don't care what area of study, because ultimately they all seem to be beneficial in my growth as a person in some way, but my main reason for getting the degree is to be able to enroll in programs like JET (teaching English in Japan) where the only requirement is a 4-year degree from an accredited university.

I spent a few years out of high school burning myself out on the idea of college because I wanted my education to define me and lead to my dream career. I am turning 30 in a couple months and I see now that it's just a tool, and that any learning, regardless of subject matter is invaluable. I guess it took 10 years to be mentally ready to take this step, and I thank God for this site and the exam-based options we have.

My next challenge is with my 8 to 5 job, trying to figure out when the best time to take the Exams.

Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to working more with the insanely knowledgeable people here.

Welcome! It can be very overwhelming at first!

I'm guessing the BALS from TESU will be fastest if you want to use random credits. The BSBA is also fast for some people. The amazing ability to use alternative credit to earn even UL credits quickly from home is really helpful to most of us

ETA: I don't know if you've done so, but if you post a list of what credits you have, dfrecore is great at helping figure out fastest degree options.
    Last edited by Mamasaphire; 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM.
    BA.SS: TESU '17
    AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
    CHW Certification: CC '15
    ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
    CC: '95-'16
    CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
    DSST: HTYH; '08
    FEMA: unusable at TESU
    IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
    Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
    NFA: 2 CR; '15
    SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
    Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
    Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
    TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
    TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SaebScholar View Post
      My next challenge is with my 8 to 5 job, trying to figure out when the best time to take the Exams.
      The good news about most alternative credit (besides CLEP/DSST) is the ability to take the exams when it works best for you, so early in the morning or late at night are usually both valid options.
      ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
      Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamasaphire View Post
        Welcome! It can be very overwhelming at first!

I'm guessing the BALS from TESU will be fastest if you want to use random credits. The BSBA is also fast for some people. The amazing ability to use alternative credit to earn even UL credits quickly from home is really helpful to most of us

ETA: I don't know if you've done so, but if you post a list of what credits you have, dfrecore is great at helping figure out fastest degree options.
        I agree and personally like the BSBA plan for it's easy access to courses and material. Every time I consider the LS I find about a dozen concentrations I would like to spend some time in lol
        Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
        Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
        ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
        The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
        TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
        CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
        Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
        Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
        Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
        45cr down

Comment

EDIT: Is there somewhere else I should post these credits for dfrecore to look at? Or is this thread okay?

Awesome replies so far. I am assuming LS is liberal arts? And when you say you are overwhelmed by the concentration, you mean I will have to choose a specific concentration as a major? I'm literally this new at getting an actual degree. I will check out the concentrations. It might work in my favor if I find something that's actually interesting to me, whereas I was just going to go for anything especially avoiding something that was PERFECT FOR ME.
          creditslrg.jpg

AUD-141 1555 Intermediate Studio Recording - 3
          AUD-140 1525 Beg Studio Recording - 3
          CSIS-101 5080 Intro Comp/Data Processing - 3
          CSIS-202 4156 Networks & Data Communications - 3
          ENGL-101 3852 Freshman Composition - 4
          MUS-115 4102 Beg Voice Class - Breath/Tone - 2

Full Sail English 101 equivalent - 3
          Full Sail ~History of Video Games - 3
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SaebScholar; 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

There are many course options that either do not have proctored exams or the exams can be proctored online and do not require a testing center. The online proctored exams can be done 24/7 which can be convenient if your work schedule does not make it easy to get to a CLEP/DSST testing center.
            For the general liberal studies degree you can choose just about any gen ed courses such as math, science, humanities, social sciences, etc. TESU does not require any concentrations for the general liberal studies degree. I believe Excelsior is flexible with degree requirements but a little picky when it comes to upper level courses or transferring courses in and is more expensive. COSC also has general study degrees and are also flexible degree wise but require more upper level credits. TESU tends to be more popular on here.
            Last edited by swalke321; 01-08-2017, 05:43 PM.
            TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
            Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
            ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
            DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
            PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
            Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
            The Institutes: Ethics Course
            AP: American History
            FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
            NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
            Schmoop: Drugs in Lit

Comment

Originally posted by swalke321 View Post
              There are many course options that either do not have proctored exams or the exams can be proctored online and do not require a testing center. The online proctored exams can be done 24/7 which can be convenient if your work schedule does not make it easy to get to a CLEP/DSST testing center.
              Originally posted by Mamasaphire View Post
              The good news about most alternative credit (besides CLEP/DSST) is the ability to take the exams when it works best for you, so early in the morning or late at night are usually both valid options.
              Awesome which "brand" are these?

Comment

Some of the alternative course options that are popular on here are Straighterline, Study.com, and Schmoop. Straighterline and Study.com both require proctored exams online that can be taken anytime. Schmoop does not require proctored exams.

Online College Courses That Fit Into Your Degree Program | StraighterLine

Study.com | Take Online Courses. Earn College Credit. Research Schools, Degrees & Careers

Shmoop: Homework Help, Teacher Resources, Test Prep
                TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
                Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
                ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
                DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
                PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
                Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
                The Institutes: Ethics Course
                AP: American History
                FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
                NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
                Schmoop: Drugs in Lit

Comment

Has straighterline gone to recorded exams or do they still require advanced scheduling? I have a hard time going back now that study.com does and also has the quizzes as part of the overall grading (I find the all or nothing approach is disconcerting). Combined with TESU taking a number as UL it's just a really a more attractive option IMHO
                  Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
                  45cr down

Comment

JET (teaching English in Japan)
                    Although you are just starting out on the way to teaching abroad, it might be a good idea to consider beyond programs like JET and what you are going to do after. With a degree and no teaching license you will be able to teach English in many places, but it will be in language schools/ESL setting. While this is fun to travel around and get experience, and a career can be made of it, the jobs often pay quite low and it will take dedication and a masters later to move up in a very crowded field.
                    There are better opportunities for rewarding careers in international schools but they require teaching licenses and often degrees in subjects, if you want to teach science or math etc. There are also many 2nd and 3rd tier schools around the world that don't have as strict recruiting policies as the big international schools but will still require experience and some education related courses/professional development.
                    Just something to think about as you start to build courses for your bachelors, including some education related courses and some extra English courses will look good on your transcript and will open up other options in the future if you decide to move away from ESL work.

Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
                    Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
                    Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
                    SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++, Religion (27)
                    TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
                    Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams (13)
                    ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
                    NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
                    Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
                    ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
                    CPCU: Ethics (2)
                    Total: 128

Comment

Originally posted by socsci View Post
                      Although you are just starting out on the way to teaching abroad, it might be a good idea to consider beyond programs like JET and what you are going to do after. With a degree and no teaching license you will be able to teach English in many places, but it will be in language schools/ESL setting. While this is fun to travel around and get experience, and a career can be made of it, the jobs often pay quite low and it will take dedication and a masters later to move up in a very crowded field.
                      There are better opportunities for rewarding careers in international schools but they require teaching licenses and often degrees in subjects, if you want to teach science or math etc. There are also many 2nd and 3rd tier schools around the world that don't have as strict recruiting policies as the big international schools but will still require experience and some education related courses/professional development.
                      Just something to think about as you start to build courses for your bachelors, including some education related courses and some extra English courses will look good on your transcript and will open up other options in the future if you decide to move away from ESL work.
                      You could even add in a associate degree with a concentration in English from Excelsior with all the courses shmoop now offers
                      45cr down

Comment

Looking at your credits, it seems like a BA in Liberal Studies would be a good fit for you.
                        Your first step should be to go to ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires. Search the forum for efficient ways to complete Intermediate Algebra, and be extremely careful as you take the placement exam, because you will get your credits with no further work if you get 70% on the placement test.

After that, apply for the Study.com scholarship:
                        Get Free Access to Study.com's College Accelerator Sponsored by Guardian | Study.com

Then take Personal Finance (required first course) and use it as a free elective.

After that, use those five remaining classes for your upper level courses, among which:
                        Business 113: Business Communication/ TESU Business 113: Business Communication 3UL
                        Psychology 104: Social Psychology/ TESU PSY-370 : Social Psychology 3UL
                        Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology/ TESU PSY-322 : Research in Exp Psych 3UL
                        Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology/ TESU PSY-350 : Abnormal Psychology 3UL
                        History 108: History of the Vietnam War/ TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War 3UL
                        Biology 103: Microbiology/ TESU BIO-351 : Microbiology 3UL
                        Biology 106: Pathophysiology/ TESU BIO-316 : Pathophysiology 3UL
                        Or get approval for
                        Business 107: Organizational Behavior/ as TESU PSY-361 Organizational Behavior 3UL

Study.com also has a lot of education courses, and you could take those along with the Shmoop literature classes to make yourself a good candidate for English teaching jobs. Unfortunately they only count as free electives at TESU.

While you are waiting for your scholarship approval, go ahead and take English Composition II through Straighterline. You will also need to take Straighterline’s Intro to Communication (COM-108). In addition, you could take a science course through SL, or go to Saylor for the cost of a $25 proctor fee.

After those, you could take the free Ethics class from The Institutes.

Shmoop would be a good source for a lot of other general ed and liberal studies credits. You could take their three history classes and lots of literature (and math) courses for $90/ month.
                        BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
                        83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Comment

Originally posted by KayV View Post
                          Looking at your credits, it seems like a BA in Liberal Studies would be a good fit for you.
                          Your first step should be to go to ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires. Search the forum for efficient ways to complete Intermediate Algebra, and be extremely careful as you take the placement exam, because you will get your credits with no further work if you get 70% on the placement test.

Get Free Access to Study.com's College Accelerator Sponsored by Guardian | Study.com

Then take Personal Finance (required first course) and use it as a free elective.

After that, use those five remaining classes for your upper level courses, among which:
                          Business 113: Business Communication/ TESU Business 113: Business Communication 3UL
                          Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology/ TESU PSY-322 : Research in Exp Psych 3UL
                          History 108: History of the Vietnam War/ TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War 3UL
                          Or get approval for
                          Business 107: Organizational Behavior/ as TESU PSY-361 Organizational Behavior 3UL

Study.com also has a lot of education courses, and you could take those along with the Shmoop literature classes to make yourself a good candidate for English teaching jobs. Unfortunately they only count as free electives at TESU.

While you are waiting for your scholarship approval, go ahead and take English Composition II through Straighterline. You will also need to take Straighterline’s Intro to Communication (COM-108). In addition, you could take a science course through SL, or go to Saylor for the cost of a $25 proctor fee.

Shmoop would be a good source for a lot of other general ed and liberal studies credits. You could take their three history classes and lots of literature (and math) courses for $90/ month.
                          Kay it looks like you've laid out a solid plan with very good suggestions! You are great at that!
                          ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Comment

Originally posted by KayV View Post

Or get approval for

I love you.

Can you help me understand the part about "ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires"
                            I'm still trying to understand exactly what ACE is. Is ALEKS about to lose accreditation for some reason? Or is it an annually renewing thing?"

Comment

I love you.

Can you help me understand the part about "ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires"
                              I'm still trying to understand exactly what ACE is. Is ALEKS about to lose accreditation for some reason? Or is it an annually renewing thing?"
                              Correct ALEKS (owned my McGraw Hill) has not reapplied for accreditation, so you need their credits on a transcript (ACE) by the end of the month. They are only $20 a month, so if you already know your math it's very inexpensive credits
                              45cr down

Comment

Working...
                              X