• Show
Clear All

• 2 new DSST exams!!!!!!

2 brand new exams

Exam Fact Sheets | DSST | Get College Credit

Math for Liberal Arts
    3 Baccalaureate
    Math for Liberal Arts
    Real number systems, sets and logic, metric system, conversions and geometry, algebra, graphs and functions, linear systems and inequalities, exponents and logarithms. This exam was newly created January 2017 and includes content reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Principles of Advanced English Composition
    3 Baccalaureate
    Elements of effective writing, reading and writing arguments and using secondary sources. This exam was newly created January 2017 and includes content reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE).
    Jennifer
    10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
    BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
    Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

I'm thinking of taking the math exam to see what it's like. There is a -$17 code now through Jan 31. Enter Promo Code TAKE17OFF
    Jennifer
    10-year member

Comment

ACE says:

Principles of Advanced Composition: In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in english [sic] composition II. Credit is recommended for examinees with scores of 40 and above. (11/16).

The big advantage (?) of this exam appears to be just answering multiple choice questions instead of having to write essays:

This examination is a multiple-choice exam designed to evaluate whether candidates possess the knowledge and understanding that would be gained by taking an upper level college course in English Composition. The exam covers topics including types of writing, elements of effective writing, reading and writing arguments and using secondary sources. Prometric's DSST exams traditionally have 100 items per form to be completed in 2 hours. However, in this instance, based on the recommendations from the subject matter experts involved in the development of this exam, this has been reduced to 64 items per form to be completed in the 2 hour time frame. Each form contains scenarios to which multiple items apply; therefore, this allows candidates time to read these larger bodies of text.
      BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
      83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Comment

ACE says:

Math for Liberal Arts (SQ300; SR300)

Credit Type: Exam
        ACE Course Number: 0076
        Organization: DSST by Prometric
        Location: Over 1,900 colleges and universities recognize the DSST program and award college credit for passing scores. Colleges, universities and corporations throughout the United States and in some other countries administer tests year-round. All test center locations can be found at DSST | Get College Credit.
        Length: 2 hours
        Dates Offered: 11/1/2016 - 10/31/2019
        Description: This examination is a multiple-choice exam designed to evaluate whether candidates possess the knowledge and understanding that would be gained by taking an upper level college course in Math for Liberal Arts. The exam covers topics including real number systems, sets and logic, metric system, conversions and geometry, algebra, graphs and functions, linear systems and inequalities, exponents and logarithms including financial literacy and counting; and probability theory and statistics. Prometric's DSST exams traditionally have 100 items per form to be completed in 2 hours. However, in this instance, based on the recommendations from the subject matter experts involved in the development of this exam, this has been reduced to 80 items per form to be completed in the 2 hour time frame. This allows time for calculation and arithmetic. Candidates will be able to use a calculator for this exam.
        Skills Measured: The skills measured include real number systems (11 percent); sets and logic (16 percent); metric system, conversions, and geometry (12 percent); algebra, graphs, and functions (11 percent); linear systems and inequalities (8 percent); exponents and logarithms, including financial literacy (22 percent); and counting, probability theory, and statistics (20 percent).
        Credit Recommendation: In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in mathematics or quantitative literacy. Credit is recommended for examinees with scores of 54 and above for SQ300 and 52 and above for SR300. (11/16).
        BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.

Comment

It's difficult to believe that it could be easier than the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, but it would be interesting to hear your perspective.
          BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.

Comment

3 weeks ago
            http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-or...eral-arts.html

Comment

Originally posted by KayV View Post
              It's difficult to believe that it could be easier than the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, but it would be interesting to hear your perspective.
              I took the TECU Applied Liberal Arts course while I was a student, it was easy - but doing anything for 12 weeks is annoying (at least for me) and EXPENSIVE (tuition plus required text). I hate everything to do with TECEPs, I also took 1- might have been 2- as a student. I wouldn't even consider it with the other options out there- otoh, DSST testing centers are close to me and cheap. I'll let you know!
              Jennifer
              10-year member

Comment

Originally posted by cookderosa View Post
                I took the TECU Applied Liberal Arts course while I was a student, it was easy - but doing anything for 12 weeks is annoying (at least for me) and EXPENSIVE (tuition plus required text). I hate everything to do with TECEPs, I also took 1- might have been 2- as a student. I wouldn't even consider it with the other options out there- otoh, DSST testing centers are close to me and cheap. I'll let you know!
                When you could take TECEP's for residency, it was a no-brainer! They also had some UL business courses that were harder to get. I also liked not having to go to a testing center, ours is pretty far and inconvenient.

Now, with these 2 options, and SL and Study.com, I'm willing to be almost no one will take a TECEP ever. I certainly won't recommend even the English Comp II TECEP for those who already have English Comp I (like I did).
                WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
                TESU BSBA in HR
                (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
                GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
                DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

My husband needs both English Comp's, and now he can take the CLEP modular and the DSST Advanced and get credit with no essays! He can write ok, but does NOT enjoy it at all.

I also have a friend who needs both, and is a good test-taker, but isn't a great typist, so this is a great option for that type of person as well.

More expensive to do both, but without having the essays is a great option for a lot of people.
                  WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
                  TESU BSBA in HR
                  (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
                  GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
                  DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

the DSST math is probably similar to the Uexcel Contemporary Mathematics
                    Excelsior College | Contemporary Mathematics

https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/7...thematics.pdf/

Comment

I would like to use IC to study for the English Comp II DSST. Could anyone recommend the closest set to this?\

Also: Can I take DSST's at home? Trying to do this before work or after work might be a problem for me.

Comment

Math for Liberal Arts is 1 + 1 = 3

Way cool that DSST came out with new tests.

2 brand new exams

Math for Liberal Arts
                        3 Baccalaureate
                        Math for Liberal Arts
                        Real number systems, sets and logic, metric system, conversions and geometry, algebra, graphs and functions, linear systems and inequalities, exponents and logarithms. This exam was newly created January 2017 and includes content reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE).

3 Baccalaureate
                        Elements of effective writing, reading and writing arguments and using secondary sources. This exam was newly created January 2017 and includes content reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE).
                        •DSST Exams (78 credits) •Credit for Prior Learning - CPL (68 credits) •ACE Courses (50 credits) •JST Military Courses (48 credits) •Credit-by-Assessment - CBA (44 credits) •CLEP Exams (42 credits) •ECE/UExcel Exams (30 credits) •PLA Portfolio (19) •Cooperative Work Experience (11 credits) •FEMA IS on Transcript (10 credits).

Comment

Math for Liberal Arts
                          3 Baccalaureate
                          Math for Liberal Arts
                          I could have used this 10 years ago!
                          ShotoJuku +
                          A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
                          IC Forums Senior Moderator
                          Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here ---> http://www.degreeforum.net/general-e...html#post59179
                          God Bless The USA http://www.degreeforum.net/core/imag...es/patriot.gif

Comment

Originally posted by SaebScholar View Post
                            I would like to use IC to study for the English Comp II DSST. Could anyone recommend the closest set to this?\

Also: Can I take DSST's at home? Trying to do this before work or after work might be a problem for me.
                            DSSTs are like CLEPs. Study, then make an appointment at a proctored testing center (usually a college or university) to take the test.
                            BA.SS: TESU '17
                            AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
                            CHW Certification: CC '15
                            ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
                            CC: '95-'16
                            CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
                            DSST: HTYH; '08
                            FEMA: unusable at TESU
                            IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
                            Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
                            NFA: 2 CR; '15
                            SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
                            Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
                            Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
                            TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
                            TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread.

Comment

2 brand new exams

Math for Liberal Arts
                              3 Baccalaureate
                              Math for Liberal Arts

3 Baccalaureate
                              The old DF group would be ecstatic. The new DF group is wondering when the SL version is coming out.
                              CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
                              Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Comment

Working...
                              X