Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvm View Post
    --snip--
    I'm with you. When I was first looking into online degrees, I was considering Ashford, National University, and APU because of proctoring. Had I known about Amberton University (~45 minutes from my home), I probably would have gone through them rather than my current choice of WGU.

I have the bandwidth, but I hate having my webcam plugged in. It stays unplugged and in a box until I have to proctor, and is unplugged within five minutes of proctoring being done. I had two of my three SL tests stopped, flat out, because I have odd testing habits myself. When I get stuck and need to think, I look at a blank wall or ceiling (preferably a white or grayish color) and try to visualize the information on my newfound "canvas" of sorts. Two of my proctors thought I was looking at notes taped to the ceiling, froze my exam, and had me show them the ceiling a second time to prove that I wasn't cheating. Never have that problem at a Pearson center, so that doesn't bug me as much.

It's not about cheating for me, it's about privacy, security, and flexibility. Oddly enough, both Amberton and APU seem to have non-proctored exams (mostly written, not many multiple choice) at a somewhat reasonable price point and are, at least, respectable. If OP wants the easiest possible degree with largely multiple choice exams and no proctor, it seems like University of Phoenix is probably his or her best bet - but the degree probably won't get him anywhere.

Western Governors University (2017):
    BS Information Technology Security (In Progress, 88/123 CUs)
    Journey & Accountability post located here.

Community College (2014-2017):
    AAS Information Systems Cybersecurity
    AAS Cisco Systems Comp. Net. Technology

CCNA, CCNA: Security, and CCNP Certified.

Credits:
    Local CC (2014-17) (79cr): College Algebra (4), Composition I (3), Intro to Speech Comm. (3), Federal Govt. and Const. (3), Intro. to Humanities (3), Comp. Networking Courses (30), InfoSec Courses (15), General IT Courses (18)
    StraighterLine (9cr): Organizational Behavior (3), Business Statistics (3), English Composition II (3)
    ALEKS (18cr): [Beginning, Intermediate, & College] Algebra (9), Trigonometry (3), PreCalculus (3), Intro to Statistics (3)
    The Institutes (2cr): Ethics 312; TEEX (4cr): Cyber 301 for Business Professionals (2), Cyber 101 (2); Sophia (1cr): Developing Effective Teams

Comment

Concerning staring at solid objects: I do the same thing. Sometimes I focus on a tiny imperfection on an object. That's actually meditation. Contrary to popular the belief, mediation is not necessarily clearing your head of all thoughts as that's virtually impossible. When you focus on one thing, such as a light, a tiny spec on the wall, the moon, a tree or an object or scene you create within your mind, that is meditation. The purpose, as you probably know, is to force extraneous thoughts aside and focus. Often people who have severe depression and / or anxiety, cannot turn off their thoughts. That's why it's so important to learn to meditate at a young age.

Just imagine what the world would be like if we could stop negative thoughts in their tracks.

In more simplistic terms, imagine what could be accomplished if children began school with the ability to stop unwanted and unneeded thoughts from invading their minds while they focus on the task at hand.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Comment

I wasn't actually trying to say the OP was asking to cheat, I was just saying I don't condone people looking for un-proctored tests just so you don't have someone watching you. I am sorry that I don't understand the anxiety around this issue, I am sorry that people do get bad anxiety about it. I never felt that anyone was just sitting there watching me, I feel like ProctorU mostly likely have a proctor "watching" may people at once so at most they are peaking hear and there. You can also ask ProctorU proctors to freeze the video on your end so you don't see them and they only talk in chat.
        Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting: 120/120
        FINISHED: Graduation Date 9/15/2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
        CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
        Institutes: Ethics 312
        Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
        Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
        Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
        SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
        TECEP: Strategic Management (63), Federal Income Tax (76)

Comment

Until the OP, Hikkomori, answers why s/he does not want to be proctored, I don't think it's fair for us to speculate. We do not know the reason(s) for the question.

Not wanting a proctor is not necessarily an indication that someone plans to cheat. Here's why!

I think one of the things that started this off in the wrong discussion was saying they're be willing to go with a sketchy school if there was no proctoring. Now, who would be willing to get a near-useless degree, as long as they didn't have to be proctored? That doesn't even make sense. I think it was someone wanting to find a degree mill.
          WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
          TESU BSBA in HR
          (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
          GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
          DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

Also, I live in a rural area where the best bandwidth I can get is 1.5mbps.

If I could get adequate bandwidth, I probably would not want a proctor, whom I do not know, peering into my home. I don't have anything hide as far as illegal activities or immoral objects, but I would not want them knowing about the electronics and other assets in my study room.

Also, when I'm testing, I tend to take a break every 20-30 minutes. I run in place, do jumping jacks and sit-ups to clear my head. I don't want anyone to see me doing that. Not that I'm doing anything wrong. If you're exercising at the gym, do you want someone watching you constantly? That seems creepy, imo!

Just some things to consider.
            I think that if you want to get around the first problem, you can always go take tests at a testing center - CLEP/DSST/UExcel, etc.

I have never worried that they're "peering into my home" as they can only see what I want them to see. I do my exams from a laptop in my kitchen, and there is literally nothing there for them to see except my kitchen. It pretty much looks like every other kitchen on the planet.

And finally, before all of this online stuff came along, the only way to get a degree was to go sit at a school and take courses. Where someone is watching you take tests. Not creepy. The teachers also don't let you do jumping jacks during the exams, at least, not the classes I've ever taken. Of course, I was watched by teachers during testing for the first 12 years of school as well, and I didn't think that was creepy either...

Not sure why anyone would think that a person watching a classroom full of students isn't creepy, but a person watching you on a monitor is? That just seems strange to me. It's the same thing we've all done for years.
            WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
            TESU BSBA in HR
            (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
            GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
            DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

Originally posted by dfrecore View Post

I think one of the things that started this off in the wrong discussion was saying they're be willing to go with a sketchy school if there was no proctoring. Now, who would be willing to get a near-useless degree, as long as they didn't have to be proctored? That doesn't even make sense. I think it was someone wanting to find a degree mill.
              Good point concerning the sketchy school. Even though it may somewhat imply it, it still does not mean the OP plans to cheat or seeks a degree from a degree mill. Until s/he posts again, we cannot truly know.

Comment

Originally posted by dfrecore View Post

I think that if you want to get around the first problem, you can always go take tests at a testing center - CLEP/DSST/UExcel, etc.

I have never worried that they're "peering into my home" as they can only see what I want them to see. I do my exams from a laptop in my kitchen, and there is literally nothing there for them to see except my kitchen. It pretty much looks like every other kitchen on the planet.

And finally, before all of this online stuff came along, the only way to get a degree was to go sit at a school and take courses. Where someone is watching you take tests. Not creepy. The teachers also don't let you do jumping jacks during the exams, at least, not the classes I've ever taken. Of course, I was watched by teachers during testing for the first 12 years of school as well, and I didn't think that was creepy either...

Not sure why anyone would think that a person watching a classroom full of students isn't creepy, but a person watching you on a monitor is? That just seems strange to me. It's the same thing we've all done for years.
                Dfrecore, you make good points. We all have our reasons for our decisions. I've not used ProctorU so maybe it really isn't creepy but the thought of it does "feel" a bit creepy to me. I don't mind being proctored. I just prefer to do it in person. I'm fine being proctored by certified librarians at my local library or the proctor at the test center.

Concerning exercising while testing, I've taken some CLEPS and last week, I took my first DSST. The test center I use has a small room with a single computer and I'm the only one in the room while I'm testing. I'm free to run in place or do jumping jacks or sit-ups, provided I don't make noise that can be heard in the adjoining rooms. I don't know if other test centers are set-up this way. Maybe I just hit the jackpot.

Btw, I think there's a video camera mounted on the wall in the small room at the test center. It does not bother me because I've met the proctor and because, if they are watching me, they're not watching me in my home.

Comment

Working...
                X