Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU

Hello, all. First post here. I've been off and on checking this forum for a few years now and have gathered a lot of useful information.

I was recently honorably separated from the Navy and am finally ready to start my degree. I have a few university credits already and a lot of credits on my joint service transcript(mostly from Navy Nuke program). Before I start, though, I have to decide on which school and which program. Both schools appear to have very similar nuclear engineering technology programs which I know will accept a lot of my transfer credits(I've been in talks with them). I was also looking into excelsior's BS in electrical engineering technology and TESU's BS in electronics systems engineering technology. All 4 of those programs have ABET accreditation.

Does anyone have any familiarity with these programs? Specifically, I was wondering how the labs are handled, whether I can do them online or have to find an equivalent class at a local cc? My main goal is to pick whichever will be the fastest(assuming they accept similar amount of transfer credits) and cheapest route(trying to save my GI bill for a more expensive degree down the road), with consideration given if one program is better than the others.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Your best bet is to apply to them, get an evaluation to find out what you require. If you already have a brief idea of what's missing, complete them at the CC or using CLEP/DSST or ACE/NCCRS credits. You can then decide your path of least resistance, go with whatever degree would be "cheaper/easier/faster". I am leaning towards the TESU, you may want to go for a TESU BSAST Technical Studies instead, see if they can place the majority into your AOS to greatly lower the requirements for that section as it's the hardest to find for alternative credits.
    TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA General Management (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)

2017 BSBA General Management Spreadsheet (using mainly SL/Study.com)
    DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki

1. The Basic Approach - Online Education Guide
    2. Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit
    3. How/When To Start? Start Now For Cheap!
    4. Several Sources Of Cheap Credit
    5. The Spreadsheet - Track Your Progress - Reference Tool
    6. The ABCs - A, CBD, E, F, G - Accreditation, Competency Based Degree, Evaluation, Fees, GPA
    7. Overwhelmed - Too Long Didn't Read - Just Help Me Please, Step By Step!

Sources of Credit - Davar, Saylor, Straighterline.com, Study.com and Alternatives
    FREE Sources of Credit (used for free electives)

View my profile "About Me" for Quick info on TESU BALS/BSBA Bachelors Degree in 1200 hours (120 days or 4 months)
    Note: Read the entire Wiki guide to review TESU equivalency course list & links for CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com/TECEP

Comment

The only logical option is to apply to them. Your personal case will be judged different by all the colleges. Then decide which one gives you a better deal. That's what I did.
      •DSST Exams (78 credits) •Credit for Prior Learning - CPL (68 credits) •ACE Courses (50 credits) •JST Military Courses (48 credits) •Credit-by-Assessment - CBA (44 credits) •CLEP Exams (42 credits) •ECE/UExcel Exams (30 credits) •PLA Portfolio (19) •Cooperative Work Experience (11 credits) •FEMA IS on Transcript (10 credits).

Comment

Check out : https://www.ecpi.edu/sites/all/theme...ET-Program.pdf

Comment

TESU would probably be best for you, think they offer more credit for military nukes. But also look at ODU (ABET ETAC accredited) for classes that can be transferred in, they're cheaper then TESU or Excelsior at $369 per SH for out of state students: https://online.odu.edu/programs/nucl...ing-technology

Comment

Originally posted by johnw View Post
            TESU would probably be best for you, think they offer more credit for military nukes. But also look at ODU (ABET ETAC accredited) for classes that can be transferred in, they're cheaper then TESU or Excelsior at $369 per SH for out of state students: https://online.odu.edu/programs/nucl...ing-technology
            Excelsior and TESU are only $250 per credit hour for military, but they have to complete a minimum number of credits with the school. There is also the Comprehensive Tuition Plan at TESU for those taking 24 or more credits per year. That also makes TESU cheaper than ODU unless ODU has a military discount.
            TxState - PhD CJ (ABD)
            Angelo - Master of Security Studies (finished in 14 months and under $11k) & Grad Cert Terrorism
            TESC - BA Soc Sci, AAS ESST, ASNSM in Bio, BSBA CIS (in progress)
            Free study aids: Learner.org, Allpsych.com, Learnerstv.com, Saylor, & KhanAcademy.
            CLEP
            Intro Psych 70, US Hist I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mark 68
            DSST
            Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
            ALEKS
            Int Alg, College Alg
            FEMA
            5 credits, PDS
            TEEX
            4 credits
            TECEP
            Federal Income Taxation, Science of Nutrition, Microeconomics, Strategic Management, Medical Terminology
            CSU Global CBE
            Sys Analysis and Design
            Straighterline
            Intro to Comm, Microbiology
            Uexcel
            A&P

Comment

Originally posted by sanantone View Post

Excelsior and TESU are only $250 per credit hour for military, but they have to complete a minimum number of credits with the school. There is also the Comprehensive Tuition Plan at TESU for those taking 24 or more credits per year. That also makes TESU cheaper than ODU unless ODU has a military discount.
              But isn't the OP no longer active duty military? TESU looks to have that pricing only for active duty.
              WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
              TESU BSBA in HR
              (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
              GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
              DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

Originally posted by dfrecore View Post

But isn't the OP no longer active duty military? TESU looks to have that pricing only for active duty.
                You're right. I should have reread the OP to remind myself. Excelsior offers a small discount to veterans.
                TxState - PhD CJ (ABD)
                Angelo - Master of Security Studies (finished in 14 months and under $11k) & Grad Cert Terrorism
                TESC - BA Soc Sci, AAS ESST, ASNSM in Bio, BSBA CIS (in progress)
                Free study aids: Learner.org, Allpsych.com, Learnerstv.com, Saylor, & KhanAcademy.
                CLEP
                Intro Psych 70, US Hist I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mark 68
                DSST
                Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
                ALEKS
                Int Alg, College Alg
                FEMA
                5 credits, PDS
                TEEX
                4 credits
                TECEP
                Federal Income Taxation, Science of Nutrition, Microeconomics, Strategic Management, Medical Terminology
                CSU Global CBE
                Sys Analysis and Design
                Straighterline
                Intro to Comm, Microbiology
                Uexcel
                A&P

Comment

Thank you all so much for giving me some things to consider. I hadn't even thought of using ODU for their classes. I'm sending my transcripts to excelsior and tesu so I can get the specifics down. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Comment

OP: I recently completed the BS in EET (Power Systems specialization) degree at Excelsior and took most of the upper-level courses required for the degree through Excelsior. I posted a summary in the Excelsior/TESU/CO forum.

Regarding how labs are handled: General education coursework with labs (such as Physics I and II) I completed previously at a brick-and-mortar. For all labs taken at Excelsior it's virtualized on your home computer. For example, there would be course-specific software such as LabVIEW for the Instrumentation and Data Acquisition course or assembly language software for the Microprocessors course. Most of the time there would be a lab manual with steps and goals outlined and you had to use the course software to generate data and write a lab report including screenshots of your results.

Lab-specific software I recall using:

LabVIEW
                    Multisim
                    DOSBox/Debug
                    PowerWorld Simulator

Comment

Thank you wallerstein. I read your thread. I will definitely be hitting you up as I get more questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X