APA Question & first week of MBA :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APA Question & first week of MBA :)

Good news - I got my feedback and grades from week 1 semana 1 of my MBA Organizational Design/Diseño Organizacional class. First of all, I was top rated in the forum discussions. ha ha ha - who would have guessed that a forum classroom setting would suit me very well.. I guess these IC forums really do prepare you for more than just the undergrad!

Secondly, I got my first paper back with a 90% grade and feedback. A few very minor comments (and a couple of tiny Spanish corrections, but hey this is my first graduate paper!), but my major screw-up was that I didn't use APA citation properly throughout my work. I just did the whole paperThis is and put the references at the end.

Huh? I didn't know that was incorrect! Sorry.. that's what my team at COSC did on our papers so I figured this was ok. Am I supposed to put the number where the reference is. I feel dumb but I have no idea what those little tiny numbers are called and don't know how to use them throughout the text. I've been looking for an answer online and I'm still a little fuzzy. Can someone explain this to me in very simple language? I am truly horrible at following instructions so I could use Idiot's Guide-type directions.

Thanks!!!
    Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA
    COSC BS, Business Admin

Completed
    Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63| SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert |
    Harvard Medical Dept of Continuing Education- Toxicology: Certificate of Participation

Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide
    MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
    BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
    AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this). Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior...000-total.html

Comment

Two words for you... Purdue Owl. The Purdue OWL: APA Style

The basics of in-text citation: Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide

The basics of reference list: Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide

Depending on what your resources are, there may be a "cite" button somewhere that will pop up a handy little prewritten citation. Otherwise you have to work it out yourself. There are little citation generators all over the internet which you can put your reference info into and it will pop out a perfectly formatted reference.

Good luck, and good job on your first Spanish grad paper!!!

ETA: dammit, rebel totally stole my thunder
      TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
      B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)

Comment

lol, sorry....at least great minds think alike
        MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
        BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
        AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this). Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior...000-total.html

Comment

This is one of the reasons I feel writing courses are so important. At TESC they were very strict on citing correctly (at least in all my courses). Big points were deducted for not getting it right but I already took ENG121/122 at my community college; my professors were sticklers (thank goodness).

The superscript number references are either footnotes (reference at the bottom of the page) or endnotes (reference list at the end of the document).

The APA style guide is now on edition 6, you can pick up a copy at amazon. I also use the word program citations (under reference tab) but still have to tweak it for exact style.

In the interim use the owl website for guidance Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide

Here is a sample of an APA paper

Edit: a bit of redundancy here (sorry rebel and ponygirl). And remember graduate work is more in depth than undergrad so you will definitely need a style guide. Probably a few. Here is another good resource:
          Amazon.com: Academic Writing for Graduate Students, Second Edition: Essential Tasks and Skills (Michigan Series in English for Academic & Professional Purposes) (9780472088560): John M. Swales, Christine Feak: Books
          Last edited by bricabrac; 09-07-2011, 11:07 PM.
          "Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
          AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
          BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
          AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
          BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔ)!

Comment

Originally posted by burbuja0512
            Am I supposed to put the number where the reference is. I feel dumb but I have no idea what those little tiny numbers are called and don't know how to use them throughout the text. I've been looking for an answer online and I'm still a little fuzzy. Can someone explain this to me in very simple language? I am truly horrible at following instructions so I could use Idiot's Guide-type directions.

Thanks!!!
            I thought APA didn't use the superscript numbers. I just looked the the APA 6th edition and didn't see it in the sample papers (unless I missed it). The superscript (little number at the end of the citation) is used in Chicago/Turabian writing style. That's what we are using at AMU/APU. Are you sure they don't want Chicago/Turabian instead of APA?
            Last edited by CLEP101; 09-08-2011, 07:08 AM.
            Excelsior College - DONE
            AAS-2009, BSLS-2010

Thomas Edison State College - DONE
            BA in History-2011

Texas A&M University Central Texas
            Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
            Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II
            DSSTs Passed
            Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"

Comment

Originally posted by CLEP101
              I thought APA didn't use the superscript numbers. I just looked the the APA 6th edition and didn't see it in the sample papers (unless I missed it). The superscript (little number at the end of the citation) is used in Chicago/Turabian writing style. That's what we are using at AMU/APU. Are you sure they don't want Chicago/Turabian instead of APA?
              Nope.. he says APA. I don't know if he wants the superscript or if he means that I just didn't mention my references at all throughout the text. I would think that APA style is the same no matter where you're at, but I'm not sure if I totally screwed up or if they have a slightly different version.

Thanks everyone for the links! I had seen the OWL link before but I'm just going to have to keep re-reading until it all makes sense.. A while back, Noodle Tools was recommended and I use that one to plug my references in and have the citation generated. I'm sure that there's probably more functionality to it so I'll also have to check it out.

UGH. Who would have thought that my most challenging part of a graduate class in Spanish would be the @#%$ citation?

@bricabrac - yes I agree with you regarding the English classes. For a while now, I have been saying here that everyone that plans on going on to graduate level work should take at least one or two classes at the undergrad level, otherwise it will be crazy difficult at the grad level. That's probably one of the reasons that COSC put in the Cornerstone, it covers all that sort of "intro to college" type stuff.

I do think it's weird that I took English back in the early 90's in community college and never heard of APA or any other style for all that goes. Was it not as important back then or perhaps I wasn't in the type of class that would need it? (I honestly can't remember)
              COSC BS, Business Admin

Completed
              Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63| SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert |
              Harvard Medical Dept of Continuing Education- Toxicology: Certificate of Participation

Comment

there is software that you can use with your word processor that will help you. I don't remember specific names, an hour with google will return more results than you can handle. Anyway, it overlays your work into APA format in the same way a spell check does. For instance, when you're signed in with Google Chrome and you come to Instantcert to the forum, a spelling error is underlined in red. It's automatic, not something you have to "do" here- as opposed to being here through Internet Explorer which requires you to "use" spell check. So, this works WITH your existing word processing software. Anyway, when I looked into buying a program, it was around $40. If I were enrolled in a grad program, I'd add this to my budget for sure!
                Jennifer
                10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
                BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
                Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

Comment

Just get zotero. Its free, and works with MS Word. I don't know if it works for Spanish, but you could check it out.

It will cite in whatever format you want. You can in text citations, and it will create, with one click, your whole bibliography of works cited.
                  BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
                  Total: 147 credits

Comment

Might I suggest: APA PERRLA software helps students properly format papers in APA style and create citations and references - PERRLA.com
                    ShotoJuku +
                    A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
                    IC Forums Senior Moderator
                    Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here ---> http://www.degreeforum.net/general-e...html#post59179
                    God Bless The USA http://www.degreeforum.net/core/imag...es/patriot.gif

Comment

@Clep101 -Yes, APA uses footnotes and endnotes (with superscript indicators). This is what I meant by it is good to have multiple references. I have used APA exclusively in my work and in approx 95% of my college courses.

@burbuja0512 - The college composition courses were in MLA style. If all of the students at COSC cited incorrectly they need to retool the cornerstone. Graduate work is all about research, it's up to the students to research the papers and format correctly. Of course I come from a research background so I'm jaded.

The software most talked about by the grad students at TESC is stylease APA Format Software | Automatic Research Paper Formatting | StyleEase
                      I actually use endnotes professionally; I also use i-cite, word citations and more important my own writing skills. I cannot afford errors that are made in style changes.
                      Last edited by bricabrac; 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM.
                      "Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
                      AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Comment

EC was very strict and did a lot of papers all in APA. APA doesn't use footnotes or subscript. I use OWL for reference along with a software program called Stylease. It works with Word and formats you paper for you. You still have to know where and how to put the citations, but it lays it out for you. For my citations and bibliographies I use bibme.org and son of a citation. Both are websites. Some school libraries also have bibliography makers and citation generation when you look things up. EC had a citation generator. Just make sure you select the proper format because these sites usually do any format such as MLA, APA, Chicago etc. I hated APA when I started at EC, but it did prepare in the APA writing department, although, I did have to go through an edition change which messed me up and made me nuts...more than I already am! Good luck!
                        Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
                        MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
                        BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
                        BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
                        ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
                        ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
                        ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
                        ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
                        ECE - Social Psych. - B
                        ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
                        ECE - HR Management - B
                        ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
                        ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
                        CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
                        CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
                        DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
                        DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
                        DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
                        DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
                        DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
                        DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
                        DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
                        DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
                        DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
                        DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
                        UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
                        ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
                        Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
                        FEMA - PDS + more

Comment

Wow.. thanks so much for all of the info everyone!! I have quite a bit to review right now. Just need to find a tool that will work with Spanish and I'll be set

@Bricabrac. I'm pretty sure that the reason for the Cornerstone is to teach students stuff like that. Keep in mind that my ONLY class at COSC was the Capstone and every single person in my class was from the generation of students that had not been required to take a Capstone. COSC is in a unique position (well all of the Big 3, really) because the majority of the students there have not been at COSC throughout their educational career. Most of the people I met had a hodge-podge of credits from a variety of schools and chose COSC not because of their liberal testing policies, but because they found a school that would take their collection of credits and turn them into a degree. However, what I think COSC realized is that with the varied student backgrounds, they were getting people who weren't very strong in certain areas such as the ability to take an online class successfully and also basic citation and writing questions. That's why they're forcing the two classes now as in many cases, the Capstone was the students first and last class at COSC.
                          COSC BS, Business Admin

Completed

Comment

I'm sorry but I will have to respectfully disagree. APA does include footnotes and endnotes. I again refer you to style guides. Since in the pharmaceutical industry, specifically clinical research and medical affairs department, we publish articles and papers on a quarterly basis that are written in APA style.

This is a quick reference I found online.

http://www.sourceaid.com/reference/p...tion-guide.pdf

Pg 9
                            Footnotes
                            General Guidelines
                            1. Footnotes are used to provide information that is not essential to the thesis of the text.
                            2. Footnotes are used sparingly.
                            3. Statements, for which there is information in the footnotes, are superscripted with a sequential number that corresponds with the relevant footnote.
                            4. The footnotes page is placed at the end of the text preceding the Reference List page.

Pg 10
                            Endnotes
                            In most styles, the only difference between footnotes and endnotes is their location within the text. Traditionally, endnotes are located on a separate page and footnotes are located at the bottom of the page on which their associated statements appear. APA style is an exception to these endnote/footnote distinctions. APA footnotes replace endnotes, but the footnotes appear in the traditional location of endnotes (on a separate page preceding the reference list).
                            Last edited by bricabrac; 09-08-2011, 04:23 PM.

TESC:
                            AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Comment

I have written a gazillion APA papers and I know this backward and forward now.

There are no superscripts. Here is how it goes:

Say you read an article and the guy says that France has 70% of its power delivered by nuclear. To cite that as a paraphrase you can just do this.

Nuclear power is being used to fuel 70% of power needs in France (Yoder, 2011).

Then if you have a quote:

Yoder (2011) stated that "nuclear power is way cool!" (p. 45).

If you want to quote more than 40 words you need to set it off in a block quote. Which is a paragraph with .5" of indentation on the left.

For your references, you get the hang of it, but if you are using scholarly journals as references through a site like proquest.com, there is a Cite link at the top of the article which will automatically format a reference for the references section in any number of formats including APAv6.

Your paragraphs are to be double spaced. The references are single spaced with a double space between them. The first line has no indentation but the rest of the lines have a .5" hanging indentation.

Google purdue OWL and read it a bit.
                              Once you get the hang of it, its easy. I stressed out a lot at first but now I'm good.

Zotero is also nice. Any page you are on, you can click some buttons and it will add it to a list of references in Zotero. Then you can export that reference as a bibliography item just like the Cite link in proquest.com.

Your school should provide you access to atleast 5 scholarly research libraries where you can search for appropriate source material. Appropriate materials include dissertations, scholarly journals, sometimes trade journals and sometimes newspaper articles.

Peer reviewed scholarly journal articles are the best though.

Good luck and have fun!
                              BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
                              MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
                              Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Comment

Working...
                              X