Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course Offering from Saylor.org

Hello All,

I have been seeing a large increase on people using Saylor for credits I was unaware that could be taken from Saylor. Do any of you have a full list of offerings. I checked the ACE website and it still only shows the ones I know of, Soci, Psych, Macro, Micro... I'd really like to update my Cheapest degree spreadsheet with Saylor courses seeing how they are only 25$ for the test.
    Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting: 120/120
    FINISHED: Graduation Date 9/15/2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
    CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
    Institutes: Ethics 312
    Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
    Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
    Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
    SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
    TECEP: Strategic Management (63), Federal Income Tax (76)

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (79/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux Admin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Comment

Thanks, this was a huge help!!
      Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting: 120/120
      FINISHED: Graduation Date 9/15/2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
      CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
      Institutes: Ethics 312
      Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
      Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
      Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
      SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
      TECEP: Strategic Management (63), Federal Income Tax (76)

Comment

The main complaint here about Saylor courses - they are a hot mess. Not all, but most. Lots of broken links, and it's like drinking from a firehose. Too much information. If you went through the courses, it would take you many more hours than necessary to pass the course, but unfortunately, you don't know which is overkill and which is needed.

I think it's a matter of "you get what you pay for" with Saylor - cheap, but not well-laid out courses.

That being said, it certainly couldn't hurt to take the exams cold if you thought you could pass. Or use alternative study methods (KhanAcademy) to try to pass the math courses. Things like that are available to help with some of the courses.
        WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
        TESU BSBA in HR
        (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
        GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
        DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Comment

Originally posted by dfrecore View Post
          The main complaint here about Saylor courses - they are a hot mess. Not all, but most. Lots of broken links, and it's like drinking from a firehose. Too much information. If you went through the courses, it would take you many more hours than necessary to pass the course, but unfortunately, you don't know which is overkill and which is needed.

I think it's a matter of "you get what you pay for" with Saylor - cheap, but not well-laid out courses.

That being said, it certainly couldn't hurt to take the exams cold if you thought you could pass. Or use alternative study methods (KhanAcademy) to try to pass the math courses. Things like that are available to help with some of the courses.
          Agreed. If I were to take Saylor courses, I would just get a decent college-level book on the topic, check to see if it mostly aligns with the objectives of Saylor, and hope that the book would be enough to teach me the core basics (and combine that with some common sense). That should get you there.

Take this with a grain ofsalt, since I've never used Saylor.
          Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (79/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
          AA Sociology, community college, 2015
          Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux Admin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
          BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Comment

My son found Intro to Business, Corporate Communication, and Marketing to be rather straightforward in terms of exam material - he did just what was suggested above and mostly used a college level textbook. Scored upper 70s, low 80s on finals. Then he got into the two economics courses and bombed the finals - re-took and Straighterline and did great. He was going to do Accounting via Saylor but has decided to go with Straighterline for that one.
            Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
            Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
            Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of Marketing, Corporate Communication
            Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
            ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
            Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
            Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
            Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
            Sophia: Project Management
            CURRENT - Working on BS HR Management at WGU - Courses completed: Critical Thinking and Logic, Integrated Natural Science Applications, Employment Law. In Progress: Spreadsheets, Workforce Planning - Recruitment and Development

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with Saylor. The first course I took was Business Law & Ethics, which I have a little background in. I read all the material and passed with a mid 80s score. Then I took Principles of Management, which I have some background in, read all the material, and failed with a 69. There is a ton of material in the course, and that is reflected in the test questions. Some of the test questions were ridiculously specific -- trivia questions that no student would highlight while studying.

It really rather discouraged me; it was only my second course attempt on the road to getting my bachelors. I actually took a break from working towards my degree because of it. Then I realized the way to get through Saylor courses with minimal heartburn is to concentrate on the practice exams, and skim through the course material based on the questions presented in the practice exams to fill in gaps. With this method you'll need to take several practice exams to ensure you pass, but the fact is, depending on the course you take, actually studying the traditional way *doesn't* ensure you'll pass. There's just too much information to wade through/try to retain.
              Currently muddling through (BALS Humanities):

Capstone

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Comment

Saylor = Curriculum
                Saylor /=/ Test Prep

If you are looking for test prep, it's probably not a match. Saylor content isn't aligned with the exams, and will require no less than 60 hours (some >120)

The Saylor list includes all ACE courses when you look it up under the Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem instead of Saylor.
                ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
                Jennifer
                10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
                BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
                Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

Comment

Saylor seems confused on the Corporate Communication class. What I mean is, on their site they have the class listed as ACE and NCCRS, but when I go to ACE they don't mention the class lol. Not sure if I have to set up an NCCRS account or not. :/
                  Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Comment

You literally just answered my question, we were typing at the same time LOL! Thank you!

Originally posted by cookderosa View Post
                    Saylor = Curriculum
                    Saylor /=/ Test Prep

If you are looking for test prep, it's probably not a match. Saylor content isn't aligned with the exams, and will require no less than 60 hours (some >120)

The Saylor list includes all ACE courses when you look it up under the Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem instead of Saylor.
                    ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
                    Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Comment

Originally posted by Toastmaster View Post
                      Saylor seems confused on the Corporate Communication class. What I mean is, on their site they have the class listed as ACE and NCCRS, but when I go to ACE they don't mention the class lol. Not sure if I have to set up an NCCRS account or not. :/
                      It was ACE Approved this spring - my son took the exam and received credit via ACE. I just checked ACE's site, though, and only seven courses are showing up as ACE approved - very strange.
                      Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
                      Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
                      CURRENT - Working on BS HR Management at WGU - Courses completed: Critical Thinking and Logic, Integrated Natural Science Applications, Employment Law. In Progress: Spreadsheets, Workforce Planning - Recruitment and Development

Comment

I just checked and there seems to be an error on Ace's site, because it says the Corp Comm class is valid 4/1/2015 - 3/31/2018, yet it's not showing up on the course list.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan555 View Post
                          I just checked and there seems to be an error on Ace's site, because it says the Corp Comm class is valid 4/1/2015 - 3/31/2018, yet it's not showing up on the course list.
                          You can also request Saylor to submit directly to a university, which they will do free of charge:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ewform?c=0&w=1
                          Currently muddling through (BALS Humanities):

Capstone

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan555 View Post

It's there - you have to look under ACP ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
                            Jennifer
                            10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
                            BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                            AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                            AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
                            Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

Comment

Originally posted by cookderosa View Post
                              It's on that page, but I logged on to my son's account and attempted to add the course, and it wasn't there.

Comment

Working...
                              X