Study.com a serious disappointment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study.com a serious disappointment

So, I'm feeling EXTREMELY upset and frustrated right now. I put my time and effort into earning these credits. I've been patient, as many have here waiting for grades to be finalized.

I took 3 courses. Personal Finance, Organizational Behavior and Digital Marketing. I passed all of them with my preliminary scores, which I have complete understanding that those are not final. However, I know I did not fail all of them. Especially the one with the project, as I got 100 on the quizzes, an 85 preliminary score on the final and a 63 on the project which does not equate to failing. All of these exams were submitted before/around Christmas starting on the 22nd.

I filed for Ace approval, and all three were approved last week even though I never received any email from study.com. A few days ago, I checked Study.com and all my exams were with a status of Retake, with a note that I needed at least 70% to pass.

I just now received ANOTHER email from ACE, that all 3 of my courses were denied by Study.com, and they have been removed from my ACE transcript. How could they be approved, and added, and then a week later denied, and removed?

And to top it off, I STILL have not received any notification from Study.com or email about my results. There's so much back and forth!! People being told if ACE approved, then the been cleared and now this. I'm so disappointed. My experience from Study.com so far has been nothing but trouble, while I thoroughly enjoyed the courses and the setup, and was hoping to take many more exams through them but this experience has really ruined my motivation let alone interest to continue with them.
    Last edited by strawberryxfuzz; 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM.
    TESU BSBA GM
    Started: Nov 2016
    Graduation Goal: Sept 2017
    120/120 -- FINISHED

CLEP: (15) A&I LiteratureㅣCollege Compㅣ Macroeconomics
    ALEKS: (12) Buisness StatisticsㅣPreCalculusㅣCollege AlgebraㅣIntermediate Algebra
    The Institutes: (2) Insurance Ethics
    TEEX: (4) Cybersecurity for EveryoneㅣCybersecurity for ITㅣCybersecurity for Business
    Saylor: (21) Intro to Molecular & Cellular BiologyㅣEnviromental EthicsㅣBuisness Law & EthicsㅣPrinciples of ManagementㅣPrinciples of MarketingㅣMoral & Political PhilosophyㅣMicroeconomics
    Study.com: (42) Personal FinanceㅣPrinciples of FinanceㅣIntro to CommunicationㅣIntro to World ReligionㅣIntro to SociologyㅣIntro to Managerial AccountingㅣGlobal & International ManagementㅣDigital Marketing & AdvertisingㅣOrganizational Behavior ㅣ Human Resource ManagementㅣStrategic Human Resource ManagementㅣAdvanced AccountingㅣEnviro Science 101ㅣMarketing Research
    DAVAR: (21) CIS 101ㅣCIS 315ㅣSCI 103ㅣSCI 102ㅣMAN 390ㅣAmerican GovㅣACC 301
    TECEP: (3) Business Admin BUS-421

Oh no, that is terrible! Have you asked why? My first thought is something with the online proctoring went wrong. I have to say my experience with Study.com is positive. I had four paid months and now I'm on the scholarship. I also used them to understand mircobiology when I took the course through Straighterline. I hope it all gets fixed soon!
    Credit Sources:
    Guilford Technical Community College (59)
    U.S Army Training
    ALEKS
    Study.com
    Straighterline
    Shmoop
    DSST
    UExcel

Comment

If there was an issue with the proctoring - which I can't see why there would be as I've used the same space for proctoring with ProctorU and had no issues, then I should have been notified about it. I have received NOTHING from Study.com, about my final grade, about proctoring issues, nothing! That's why I'm so livid right now, there is absolutely NO communication on their side at all. I shouldn't have to go to my dashboard and see RETAKE on all my exams, telling me I need 70% to pass, without the final results even given to me after waiting this long.

It shouldn't have been put ON my ACE transcript, only to be taken off a week later.

Since I started, it's been nothing but inconsistent. From the changes on the dashboard confusing everyone and being left unexplained until people start hounding them, and this... I'm just overwhelmed and fed up. I've had it with e-mailing them, I want to speak directly on the phone with someone in charge at this point because this is unfair.

In another thread Study.com made a comment about how they changed the grading policy, and if I failed because of that reason then that's ALSO unacceptable because they didn't notify us! I completed my finals before this policy change obviously, so just because they took too long to grade it doesn't mean I should be penalized for something I was unaware of.
      TESU BSBA GM
      120/120 -- FINISHED

ALEKS: (12) Buisness StatisticsㅣPreCalculusㅣCollege AlgebraㅣIntermediate Algebra
      TEEX: (4) Cybersecurity for EveryoneㅣCybersecurity for ITㅣCybersecurity for Business
      Saylor: (21) Intro to Molecular & Cellular BiologyㅣEnviromental EthicsㅣBuisness Law & EthicsㅣPrinciples of ManagementㅣPrinciples of MarketingㅣMoral & Political PhilosophyㅣMicroeconomics
      Study.com: (42) Personal FinanceㅣPrinciples of FinanceㅣIntro to CommunicationㅣIntro to World ReligionㅣIntro to SociologyㅣIntro to Managerial AccountingㅣGlobal & International ManagementㅣDigital Marketing & AdvertisingㅣOrganizational Behavior ㅣ Human Resource ManagementㅣStrategic Human Resource ManagementㅣAdvanced AccountingㅣEnviro Science 101ㅣMarketing Research

Comment

Sorry for your frustration, not sure why you had that happen to you. I would remain calm and just shoot them one of those ask the expert things and see what they say. Thankfully I haven't had any of these issues with them. Also I don't see any changes to the grading policy that you are talking about where do you see these. Seems like LL courses are general 105 points to pass and the UL's are generally 210 to pass. If they ACE approved you originally that means someone either approved it without reviewing the video first(which they shouldn't be doing) or during all there upgrades and changes something screwed up and your ACE got revoked. Once again just submit a ticket and have them look into it. Be considerate in your e-mail as the person responding probably has ZERO to due with your issue.
        Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting: 120/120
        FINISHED: Graduation Date 9/15/2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
        CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
        Institutes: Ethics 312
        Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
        Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
        Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
        SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
        TECEP: Strategic Management (63), Federal Income Tax (76)

Comment

Study.com posted it in another thread:

Originally posted by Study.com View Post
          Sorry for the confusion! It sounds like your account has been affected by changes we very recently implemented. In accordance with the American Council on Education’s expectations and postsecondary education practices, we have updated the Study.com grading policy for our credit-recommended courses. Here are the changes we’ve made to the policy:
          • Lesson quizzes will now factor more heavily into your final grade for a course. You will have three opportunities to take each quiz for a score, and we’ll only factor your highest score into your overall grade. You can continue to take each quiz for practice, but you will only be scored on your first three attempts. For instance, if you take a lesson quiz three times and receive scores of 40%, 80%, and 60%, only the 80% score will factor into your final course grade.
          • You are now allowed a maximum of 3 attempts on each proctored final exam. If you do not pass a final exam on your first attempt, you will have the opportunity to take it two more times to earn a passing score. The 3-day waiting period between attempts will still be in effect.

You can find more details about these changes and the rest of the grading policy by checking out the Syllabus tab in your course.

If you have received an email confirming that you passed your course, then that status holds true. Please contact Customer Support to resolve any issues you see with your courses and exams, or if you have any questions!

Thank you,
          The Study.com Team
          TESU BSBA GM
          120/120 -- FINISHED

Comment

Originally posted by strawberryxfuzz View Post
            It shouldn't have been put ON my ACE transcript, only to be taken off a week later.
            Wait, an organization can revoke this after they approve it? Wow.
            Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (79/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
            AA Sociology, community college, 2015
            Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux Admin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
            BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Comment

There was a lady on here a while back saying Straighterline revoked a years worth of ACE credits from her.
              Credit Sources:
              Guilford Technical Community College (59)
              U.S Army Training
              ALEKS
              Study.com
              Straighterline
              Shmoop
              DSST
              UExcel

Comment

when did they post that. They need to make that much more known. Hopefully that doesn't affect my most recent test for Macro not sure If I will get the pass with that grading method.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gotten to some lessons they just hated and started guessing on the questions. I probably didn't do this enough not to pass the Macro course but I am not sure anymore. I messaged Study.com hopefully they will get back to me soon.
                Last edited by Synicaal; 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM.

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
                CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
                Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
                SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II

Comment

Originally posted by OakLakeNC View Post
                  There was a lady on here a while back saying Straighterline revoked a years worth of ACE credits from her.
                  I remember her, I assumed they revoked it but she hadn't added it to ACE. I guess it's good they can do that for a situation like hers, where she was caught cheating, and harassed the company employees endlessly.
                  Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (79/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
                  AA Sociology, community college, 2015
                  Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux Admin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
                  BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Comment

Originally posted by jsd View Post
                    Wait, an organization can revoke this after they approve it? Wow.
                    I was so shocked, I figured Study.com was just super backed up and that's why I didn't receive any feedback from my exams. But now it's to the point where theres just absolutely no organization and no communication.

Originally posted by Synicaal View Post
                    when did they post that. They need to make that much more known. Hopefully that doesn't affect my most recent test for Macro not sure If I will get the pass with that grading method.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gotten to some lessons they just hated and started guessing on the questions. I probably didn't do this enough not to pass the Macro course but I am not sure anymore. I messaged Study.com hopefully they will get back to me soon.

They just posted it today in this thread:

Here
                    Last edited by strawberryxfuzz; 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM.
                    TESU BSBA GM
                    120/120 -- FINISHED

Comment

We wanted to address a problem we introduced to our site today. As we posted here we are changing our grading policy on how we incorporate quiz scores into your overall score for a course. These changes are being mandated by the American Council on Education in order to keep our credit recommendation for courses on our site.

Any quiz taken before 1/9/2017 will be subject to the old grading policy, the highest quiz score counts regardless of the number of quiz attempts. Any quiz taken after 1/9/2017 will be subject to our new grading policy, the highest quiz score counts within the first 3 quiz attempts. You can read more about that here.

To be clear, we will not be changing anyone's grade if you've already taken a quiz. This policy only affects quiz scores going forward. If you have any additional questions about this policy I would encourage you to talk with customer support to resolve any issues.

Comment

This should solve your problem strawberryxfuzz since you took all your quizzes before the switch over. If you have any problems getting credit for those courses customer support will be able to help you, but everything should just work. I just talked to the employee who is implementing the fix and they are staying in the office until the change goes out!

Sorry for all the confusion

Comment

"I filed for Ace approval, and all three were approved last week even though I never received any email from study.com. A few days ago, I checked Study.com and all my exams were with a status of Retake, with a note that I needed at least 70% to pas"

This sounds to me like ACE did a naughty and lazily approved your courses BEFORE contacting Study.com for verification.
                          Somewhere you need to know what your scores for your final as well as your full courses - how can they not give you a score??

We did Study in our homeschool for one of my sons earlier this year - dumped them like a hot potato. We have used Straighterline on and off here for a long time, using it currently - I was completely unimpressed with Study in every way. I don't even care that SL is more expensive, to me, aggravation is expensive.
                          Jennifer
                          10-year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
                          BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                          AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
                          AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
                          Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

Comment

Is Straighterline really more expensive? I thought Study was more expensive.
                            BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
                            83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Comment

Originally posted by KayV View Post
                              Is Straighterline really more expensive? I thought Study was more expensive.
                              Study.com could be cheaper now because they offer additional courses for $70 each. Also you don't have to buy any additional materials (books). So It can be cheaper if you can manage 3 or more courses per month. I do have to say with this recent change I have been waiting my lonest so far to have a ACE request reviewed. I hate the change that they made but I understand them.

I really hope strawberryxfuzz can get their issue resolved from study.com, From the grades posted I don't see how those courses where anywhere near fails. Also if for some reason you need more points strawberryxfuzz redo the project and not the final. The final will eat up an exam where you can resubmit the project and not use up anything. If they are anything like mine they told me if and what I did wrong so that would have been a quick fix for a bunch more points.

To Add on to this say you can get 4 Study.com courses done in a Month Membership that comes to $340 total.
                              Straighterline would run you about 330 for four courses and that is not counting any books you may need. So they come pretty close. Much closer then it used to be. If you just take the 2 exams a month at Study its $200 and SL would be about $200 for a month membership and 2 courses without cost of books. So Study.com does come out very slightly ahead.
                              Last edited by Synicaal; 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM. Reason: added price estimates

Comment

Working...
                              X