Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    hbtaylor is offline Minor Noble
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default will CCAF accept AARTS credit?

    My base education office was unable to answer this for me so I was hoping someone here would. I am former Army but have recently joined the Air Force. My Ace credit from AARTS would satisfy my final 9 credits for my CCAF degree but will CCAF accept AARTS credit? If they wont is there any work around?
    Last edited by hbtaylor; 06-20-2011 at 12:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Personally I would call or email CCAF directly. Below is the official link.

    USAF Air University: Community College of the Air Force

  3. #3
    valsacar is offline Knight / Dame
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    173

    Default

    I would think they would, everything on the AARTS is ACE recommended.

    P.S. I'm jealous, I tried to do the AF Reserve (prior Army myself) and pretty much got told to .... off, in only slightly more polite terms. Upset me a bit, I worked under AF for the last 4 years I was AD and really enjoyed it. Worked in two different AFSCs (jobs the Army doesn't have), plus my own, had support from many AD SNCOs (mostly MSgts, a couple SMSgt and a Chief)... wouldn't even give me the time of day.

  4. #4
    dcan is online now Grand Duke / Duchess
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    CCAF evaluates AARTS and SMARTS transcripts based on applicability towards your particular career field degree program. Call them and ask to speak to the program manager for your degree program, then ask him or her specific questions. It can't hurt to send it in though.

    Goal: TESC BA Computer Science (switched from BSBA CIS)

    After completing all but 4 gen eds for the BSBA, in June 2013 I switched to BA CS to go full-STEM and due to life and career I am now slow-rolling it taking 1-2 courses per semester until complete. Current ETA Fall 2014.

    Completed:
    AAS Computer Science, CCAF
    CLEP: A&I Lit, CCM, College Math, Fin Acc, Marketing, Mgmt, Microecon
    DSST: Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance
    ALEKS: College Algebra, Trig, Stats
    Classes: ENC-102, LAW-201, ECO-111, ACC-102, LIB-495, COS-213, COS-241

    Next: Computer Architecture, Calc I

    Remaining:
    CLEP: 3x gen eds
    Classes: Calc I/II, Discrete Math, Operating Systems, Capstone

    Wife & step-son pursuing state emergency management certification & Big 3 options.

    Newbies Links (READ) (READ)
    Unofficial Community-Supported DegreeForum Wiki (link approved by forum admin)

    Testing Overview | Exam Resources | Test-Specific Feedback (IC subscribers only)

  5. #5
    dcan is online now Grand Duke / Duchess
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valsacar
    I would think they would, everything on the AARTS is ACE recommended.

    P.S. I'm jealous, I tried to do the AF Reserve (prior Army myself) and pretty much got told to .... off, in only slightly more polite terms. Upset me a bit, I worked under AF for the last 4 years I was AD and really enjoyed it. Worked in two different AFSCs (jobs the Army doesn't have), plus my own, had support from many AD SNCOs (mostly MSgts, a couple SMSgt and a Chief)... wouldn't even give me the time of day.
    Are you saying you couldn't join the AF Reserve, or you couldn't get a CCAF degree? Not being able to join the Reserve seems like crap, but not being eligible for a CCAF degree can be entirely legit because they have to deal with SACS accreditation requirements regarding faculty training and qualifications, class quality (as defined by SACS), etc. Sister service students can and do qualify but they have to attend AF training (tech school or leadership schools) to have a shot at all.

    Goal: TESC BA Computer Science (switched from BSBA CIS)

    After completing all but 4 gen eds for the BSBA, in June 2013 I switched to BA CS to go full-STEM and due to life and career I am now slow-rolling it taking 1-2 courses per semester until complete. Current ETA Fall 2014.

    Completed:
    AAS Computer Science, CCAF
    CLEP: A&I Lit, CCM, College Math, Fin Acc, Marketing, Mgmt, Microecon
    DSST: Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance
    ALEKS: College Algebra, Trig, Stats
    Classes: ENC-102, LAW-201, ECO-111, ACC-102, LIB-495, COS-213, COS-241

    Next: Computer Architecture, Calc I

    Remaining:
    CLEP: 3x gen eds
    Classes: Calc I/II, Discrete Math, Operating Systems, Capstone

    Wife & step-son pursuing state emergency management certification & Big 3 options.

    Newbies Links (READ) (READ)
    Unofficial Community-Supported DegreeForum Wiki (link approved by forum admin)

    Testing Overview | Exam Resources | Test-Specific Feedback (IC subscribers only)

  6. #6
    valsacar is offline Knight / Dame
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcan
    Are you saying you couldn't join the AF Reserve, or you couldn't get a CCAF degree? Not being able to join the Reserve seems like crap, but not being eligible for a CCAF degree can be entirely legit because they have to deal with SACS accreditation requirements regarding faculty training and qualifications, class quality (as defined by SACS), etc. Sister service students can and do qualify but they have to attend AF training (tech school or leadership schools) to have a shot at all.
    Couldn't join the reserves. I'm overseas as a contractor and my MOS no longer converts directly to an AFSC. Since I would be an IMA I wouldn't really have a reserve unit to pay for retraining (nor could I really get away with that much time off from work).

    I did sit down and do some research (growing up with a mother in law school, you learn a thing or two about researching) and found a way. AFCFM can waive the formal training requirements, but they rarely do it. Since I want to get into 3D0X3 (IT Security basically) I've looked at the certifications/experience/etc that I have and outlined a plan. I'm sitting for the CISSP exam in December (Bootcamp in November), going to cost me around 10k (less if I can get my company to foot some of the bill... I'm trying) but that should do it. Combine my MOS (25B), my degree (BS in IT, will be done in December), my work experience (many years in IT and security), and the top industry certification for IT Security/IA (plus quite a few others) and I should have a good chance at them accepting that I can operate at a 5 level (CISSP is at least 7 level work).

  7. #7
    dcan is online now Grand Duke / Duchess
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valsacar
    Couldn't join the reserves. I'm overseas as a contractor and my MOS no longer converts directly to an AFSC. Since I would be an IMA I wouldn't really have a reserve unit to pay for retraining (nor could I really get away with that much time off from work).

    I did sit down and do some research (growing up with a mother in law school, you learn a thing or two about researching) and found a way. AFCFM can waive the formal training requirements, but they rarely do it. Since I want to get into 3D0X3 (IT Security basically) I've looked at the certifications/experience/etc that I have and outlined a plan. I'm sitting for the CISSP exam in December (Bootcamp in November), going to cost me around 10k (less if I can get my company to foot some of the bill... I'm trying) but that should do it. Combine my MOS (25B), my degree (BS in IT, will be done in December), my work experience (many years in IT and security), and the top industry certification for IT Security/IA (plus quite a few others) and I should have a good chance at them accepting that I can operate at a 5 level (CISSP is at least 7 level work).
    I would be very interested in knowing if they waive you in like that. Didn't know they would do that. Just be sure you meet the DoD8570 certification requirements for the AFSC, sounds like you do but make sure all the right squares are filled and knock 'em dead.

    Good luck!

    Goal: TESC BA Computer Science (switched from BSBA CIS)

    After completing all but 4 gen eds for the BSBA, in June 2013 I switched to BA CS to go full-STEM and due to life and career I am now slow-rolling it taking 1-2 courses per semester until complete. Current ETA Fall 2014.

    Completed:
    AAS Computer Science, CCAF
    CLEP: A&I Lit, CCM, College Math, Fin Acc, Marketing, Mgmt, Microecon
    DSST: Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance
    ALEKS: College Algebra, Trig, Stats
    Classes: ENC-102, LAW-201, ECO-111, ACC-102, LIB-495, COS-213, COS-241

    Next: Computer Architecture, Calc I

    Remaining:
    CLEP: 3x gen eds
    Classes: Calc I/II, Discrete Math, Operating Systems, Capstone

    Wife & step-son pursuing state emergency management certification & Big 3 options.

    Newbies Links (READ) (READ)
    Unofficial Community-Supported DegreeForum Wiki (link approved by forum admin)

    Testing Overview | Exam Resources | Test-Specific Feedback (IC subscribers only)

  8. #8
    valsacar is offline Knight / Dame
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcan
    I would be very interested in knowing if they waive you in like that. Didn't know they would do that. Just be sure you meet the DoD8570 certification requirements for the AFSC, sounds like you do but make sure all the right squares are filled and knock 'em dead.

    Good luck!
    I already meet 8570 requirements for level 1 and 2, CISSP will give me level 3. It is in the AFI and CTE... whatever that it CAN be done, the question is WILL they. Only one way to find out.

  9. #9
    hbtaylor is offline Minor Noble
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Update I was able to find someone at base education that would help me. It turns out that CCAF is very picky about AARTS transcripts. Out of all my recommended credit they would only take 4 hours (PLDC). This took me down to 5 hour and I was able to clep management to bring my total down to just 3 hours in speech.
    My only complaint about all this is that my bachelors degree accepted my army speech credit but that its not good enough for CCAF, looks like I will be taking the speech DANTES next wish me luck.

  10. #10
    dcan is online now Grand Duke / Duchess
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hbtaylor
    Update I was able to find someone at base education that would help me. It turns out that CCAF is very picky about AARTS transcripts. Out of all my recommended credit they would only take 4 hours (PLDC). This took me down to 5 hour and I was able to clep management to bring my total down to just 3 hours in speech.
    My only complaint about all this is that my bachelors degree accepted my army speech credit but that its not good enough for CCAF, looks like I will be taking the speech DANTES next wish me luck.
    Sorry to hear that. CCAF has to deal with some sticky SACS requirements that sometimes cause issues. Your college may have accepted it as something akin to TESC accepting a PLA, whereas CCAF doesn't have that kind of option. The courses have to be either taught by the AF, accredited, or approved on a case-by-case basis without causing accreditation problems.

    Goal: TESC BA Computer Science (switched from BSBA CIS)

    After completing all but 4 gen eds for the BSBA, in June 2013 I switched to BA CS to go full-STEM and due to life and career I am now slow-rolling it taking 1-2 courses per semester until complete. Current ETA Fall 2014.

    Completed:
    AAS Computer Science, CCAF
    CLEP: A&I Lit, CCM, College Math, Fin Acc, Marketing, Mgmt, Microecon
    DSST: Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance
    ALEKS: College Algebra, Trig, Stats
    Classes: ENC-102, LAW-201, ECO-111, ACC-102, LIB-495, COS-213, COS-241

    Next: Computer Architecture, Calc I

    Remaining:
    CLEP: 3x gen eds
    Classes: Calc I/II, Discrete Math, Operating Systems, Capstone

    Wife & step-son pursuing state emergency management certification & Big 3 options.

    Newbies Links (READ) (READ)
    Unofficial Community-Supported DegreeForum Wiki (link approved by forum admin)

    Testing Overview | Exam Resources | Test-Specific Feedback (IC subscribers only)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8