Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF Commission with TESU Degree
(08-21-2019, 12:30 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 09:58 AM)kittenbiscuit Wrote: Hello, this thread is just what I've been searching for! I would be so grateful if anyone could throw in their two cents on my situation. Trying to navigate this myself has been tough. Here's the quick rundown: I will be 27 in a few weeks. I am interested in joining AFROTC at an out-of-state university and pursuing one of the "highly desired" language majors for scholarship. I currently have, to my knowledge, ZERO college credits. I am aware of the requirement to be 31 or under upon commissioning to receive scholarship. Basically, I'm thinking my best option is to test out of freshman year in six months or less, if possible. I am more than determined enough to do this, I just need a good gameplan. What would be the CLEP tests I would want to take to fully test out of my first year? Currently, I am studying for the College Composition test with Modern States and should be ready to schedule my exam in less than a week.

Nobody will be able to answer this question without knowing what school you're going to. Different schools A. Have different first-year requirements, and B. Have different policies regarding CLEP.
I don't have a school chosen yet. I should have been clearer, my mistake. My question is more about testing out of a first year at, for example, TESU or one of the orher Big 3 and then transferring to a school with an AFROTC program. And what CLEP/other testing avenues I would need to take to satisfy the requirements of a first year. The reason I want to do this is to be eligible for scholarship, since I'm about to be 27.
It seems like what you have in mind is that, because you got the credits accepted at the Big 3, they will transfer from the Big 3 to another school. That's not how it works, unfortunately. Whatever school you transfer to would treat the CLEP credits just the same as if you had never sent them to the Big 3. If you're not intending to graduate from one of the Big 3, you get no benefit from sending them your CLEP/DSST/etc credits
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-21-2019, 01:19 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: It seems like what you have in mind is that, because you got the credits accepted at the Big 3, they will transfer from the Big 3 to another school. That's not how it works, unfortunately. Whatever school you transfer to would treat the CLEP credits just the same as if you had never sent them to the Big 3. If you're not intending to graduate from one of the Big 3, you get no benefit from sending them your CLEP/DSST/etc credits
I see. Thanks so much for your honest reply.
A good option you might want to consider is TECEP. These are like TESU version of a clep. They get awarded C/NC grades but it comes from a University. The only thing you would have to check is some schools have a limit of how much upgraded credit they allow to be transferred in. My local school only allows 12 credits C/NC to be transferred from another swore example.
(08-21-2019, 09:58 AM)kittenbiscuit Wrote: Hello, this thread is just what I've been searching for! I would be so grateful if anyone could throw in their two cents on my situation. Trying to navigate this myself has been tough. Here's the quick rundown: I will be 27 in a few weeks. I am interested in joining AFROTC at an out-of-state university and pursuing one of the "highly desired" language majors for scholarship. I currently have, to my knowledge, ZERO college credits. I am aware of the requirement to be 31 or under upon commissioning to receive scholarship. Basically, I'm thinking my best option is to test out of freshman year in six months or less, if possible. I am more than determined enough to do this, I just need a good gameplan. What would be the CLEP tests I would want to take to fully test out of my first year? Currently, I am studying for the College Composition test with Modern States and should be ready to schedule my exam in less than a week.

So, you need to figure out what school you want to go to, and then it's a 2-part thing: 1) get accepted to your school of choice, and 2) get an AFROTC scholarship.  At that point, you would want to see what the alternative credit policy is at that school.

My son is in HS and wants to go to college on a NROTC scholarship.  It's a pretty complicated process.  First, I made a list (copied from the website) of every school that has NROTC available.  Then, we crossed off anywhere that he didn't want to go (that was mostly region-based).  Then, we crossed off any school that didn't offer his major. Then, I looked up pertinent info for about 10 schools that interested him for various reasons: size of school, cost of room & board (it's not free through NROTC, but some schools have great deals or scholarships), size of NROTC program, etc.  Then, I looked up the CLEP/DSST/ACE policies at each of those schools - some are fantastic and will take ACE, most don't, and many will take CLEP.  We've also planned out his AP courses to see what would be most beneficial for him at a majority of the schools.

As you can see, it's not easy to figure out - but you need to do your research and see what the AFROTC gives you, choose a few schools, apply to all of them, apply for the AFROTC scholarship, and then see where that lands you.  It's made easier by the fact that you know what kind of degree you want, so that will narrow down your list of schools.  But you at least need to narrow it down to a manageable number of schools, and figure out the alternative credit policies at those schools.

BTW - AFROTC pays for your schooling, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd need to take a bunch of CLEP exams to transfer in - I'm not sure they'd let you do only 3 years anyway, so you'd still need to be a full-time student for all 4 of those years.  So there may not be a huge benefit to you to do this at all.  The reason we are looking at it for my son is because he's looking at engineering, and many schools require more than the standard 120cr to get the degree - if we are able to do a lot of the GE and some early sciences courses through AP/CLEP, then it makes it more realistic for him to graduate in 4 years, and even to possibly take a lighter load than he might be required to take (like 14-15cr instead of 17-18cr per semester).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
"AFROTC pays for your schooling, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd need to take a bunch of CLEP exams to transfer in - I'm not sure they'd let you do only 3 years anyway, so you'd still need to be a full-time student for all 4 of those years."

Not quite. AFROTC does have 3-year scholarships available. For the most part, they're awarded to cadets who are in the program on a non-scholarship basis.

Also, if a cadet has not completed the entire first 2 years of AFROTC, he/she can still become an upperclassman by going to a longer summer field training camp. So having advanced standing can allow the cadet to graduate sooner and, thus, be commissioned sooner. This is true even if he/she enters on a 4-year scholarship but, through advance standing, finishes earlier. Cadets do have to complete the entire 2-year upper class program, but not necessarily the 2-year lower class program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,755 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  TESU Application Fee Waiver ECH90 2 2,622 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,257 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU- Admission kruxalk20 15 3,370 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,033 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,512 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,994 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,333 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,316 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77