Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything new??
Hey all,
I have been out of the loop for about 3-4 years. I am helping someone navigate the end of their Liberal Studies degree plan. They have been taking classes all over and they are down to just a cornerstone and cap stone as far as I can tell.
Have there been any changes that I should know about?
Maybe a forum thread that I should check out.
I thought I saw that Charter Oak maybe cheaper now??
Has there been any changes to the Liberal Studies Capstone? Last time I kept up on all this the cornerstone wasn't even a req. course.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
My recommendation is to stick with Charter Oak for the price. If the person you're helping just wants a Liberal Studies program, that college will offer the cheapest RA available option. There is a capstone and there is a cornerstone requirement for all of the Big 3 now, but TESU has an extra Residency Waiver fee, and it will cost about $2800 just for that fee alone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
All of the Big 3 require a cornerstone and capstone now.

TESU has a residency requirement of $2800 or 16cr (so 10cr in addition to the cornerstone and capstone).  They also have a Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition if you do more than 10cr in a term ($3963).  They got rid of/changed/added some degree plans, so you may want to look at those (like the concentrations for the BALS degree).

If you just want a BALS, your best bet is going to be COSC - and here are the reasons:
1) they're about $2500 less than TESU
2) they also have a BSLS, which means that you have 60cr of "free electives" as opposed to TESU's 27cr of Free Electives
3) you can choose your own concentration including a non-liberal-arts concentration - so you could combine Marketing and Communications, for instance, or Psych and Business

Cons:
1) lab science is required (Biology can be done through Study.com for $40 extra in a month)
2) 30cr of UL required, as opposed to 18cr of UL at TESU - but you can build that into your degree in various ways
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
Ouch!! That is a steep price increase.
I will look at Charter Oaks.

Dfrecore,
I saw your link. Glad to see Cookderosa is still around and using all her wisdom to help others. Nice job Guys!
(01-14-2020, 05:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: All of the Big 3 require a cornerstone and capstone now.

TESU has a residency requirement of $2800 or 16cr (so 10cr in addition to the cornerstone and capstone).  They also have a Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition if you do more than 10cr in a term ($3963).  They got rid of/changed/added some degree plans, so you may want to look at those (like the concentrations for the BALS degree).

If you just want a BALS, your best bet is going to be COSC - and here are the reasons:
1) they're about $2500 less than TESU
2) they also have a BSLS, which means that you have 60cr of "free electives" as opposed to TESU's 27cr of Free Electives
3) you can choose your own concentration including a non-liberal-arts concentration - so you could combine Marketing and Communications, for instance, or Psych and Business

Cons:
1) lab science is required (Biology can be done through Study.com for $40 extra in a month)
2) 30cr of UL required, as opposed to 18cr of UL at TESU - but you can build that into your degree in various ways

Yes, I JUST found out about the fee AFTER I already went through the entire process and started a course. I am so frustrated. This was a major shock to my system.
Hello! I just found out about all this today, and am very interested in getting a bachelors degree online through COSC by doing CLEP & DSST. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much the whole degree might cost about? Thank you very much in advance! Big Grin
(01-15-2020, 05:46 AM)daharamu Wrote: Hello! I just found out about all this today, and am very interested in getting a bachelors degree online through COSC by doing CLEP & DSST. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much the whole degree might cost about? Thank you very much in advance! Big Grin

do you have any credits already ? 
where do you live ?
(01-15-2020, 05:46 AM)daharamu Wrote: Hello! I just found out about all this today, and am very interested in getting a bachelors degree online through COSC by doing CLEP & DSST. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much the whole degree might cost about? Thank you very much in advance! Big Grin

I show it around $6500 starting from zero credits.  You can't take an entire degree using CLEP/DSST, as there aren't 30cr of UL available that way, but is you are open to other course providers (Study.com, Saylor, Davar, Coopersmith, etc.), then it can be done for that amount or less.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-14-2020, 04:48 PM)Gooberman11 Wrote: Has there been any changes to the Liberal Studies Capstone? 

The capstone now requires an oral presentation if, for some reason, you do wind up going with TESU.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • bluebooger, warriortaupou
(01-16-2020, 01:23 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 04:48 PM)Gooberman11 Wrote: Has there been any changes to the Liberal Studies Capstone? 

The capstone now requires an oral presentation if, for some reason, you do wind up going with TESU.

wow ! seriously ? 

little by little its getting more annoying, more expensive, more time consuming to do an online BS at the big 3 and other schools 

cornerstone, capstone, science lab requirement, foreign language requirement (SUNY Empire), transfer limits, expensive residency waiver fees ... 

ah longing for the good old days of BA in 4 weeks
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • AwardTour