Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down to the two final (TECEP) Exams
Ok, 2 more exams and I will be a college grad! One problem: they are the two TECEP exams, Business Policy and Operations Management. I can't seem to find any study material anywhere. I checked both bain4weeks and 123college and there sure isn't much to find. I bought Strategic Management by Wheelen (old edition but info is info, right?). The website has a lot of info but no summaries. I know the instructors manual does have summaries and sample test questions to practice but I am not a teacher, so I can't buy that manual.

I am even considering Istudysmart, but can't stand to spend the money. On top of it, I am a crammer, work best on my last 3 days before a test, not on 4 months of preparation. Any ideas????

Thanks,

Christa
BS Business - Excelsior College Summa Cum Laude
Started with 25 credits in March 2006. Tested out with CLEP, Dantes and Tecep.
ChristaKB Wrote:Ok, 2 more exams and I will be a college grad! One problem: they are the two TECEP exams, Business Policy and Operations Management. I can't seem to find any study material anywhere.

Hi Christa,

As you know, these two exams are required courses for all business majors at Excelsior. As such, it would be fantastic to get some good information and feedback on them. Unfortunately, I haven't taken either of these exams yet. But I would really like anyone who HAS taken these exams to post any thoughts they may have. This forum hasn't really addressed these two exams yet.

Hopefully one day, Instantcert will include sections for these two exams, because they are ESSENTIAL elements of many IC user's degrees.

Can anybody provide us with some helpful tips?

MANY of us here would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
for the price they charge I'm just planning on taking the actual courses for those two classes. They are both listed at UNL and seem to have complete online content including exams.

Good luck with the exams. If you have a great experience perhaps I'll rethink my strategy.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
That's one of the big deterrants that I see to developing TECEP materials--the exams cost as much as just taking a normal class! That makes me think they're not going to be as popular as the ECE's, which are not even that popular to begin with (compared to CLEP).
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:That's one of the big deterrants that I see to developing TECEP materials--the exams cost as much as just taking a normal class! That makes me think they're not going to be as popular as the ECE's, which are not even that popular to begin with (compared to CLEP).

Actually, I think you might find that lots of people WILL take those two TECEPs if Instantcert study material is available for them.

EVERY business major is required to take those two courses or exams, and the number one complaint I hear about the TECEPs is that there is a dire lack of resources to study from.

Ironically, the exams are 3-hour, 100-question, pass/fail exams. So the exams themselves are not the problem, it is the lack of study resources that often leads people to take the course instead.

Having said that, I know of far more people who have taken the exams than have taken the courses.

If Instantcert covered these two exams, the courses would lose their appeal, and the exams would absolutely become the preferred means of obtaining those credits.

The need is definitely there to begin with, and an Instantcert section would bring people running. I'm convinced of it!

With the exception of College Algebra, those two TECEPs are the only remaining components of an entire business degree that are not currently covered by Instantcert.

Just something to think about as you plan ahead,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I was going to take these two requirements as courses through LSU and Adams State. However, I think I'll attempt the tests first. I hate paying $450 for each test, but after I take into consideration the 8 to 12 weeks for each course and then all the course work that is involved, I'm going to attempt the tests. It will probably be around January when I take them. I'm currently enrolled in the Intro to Operations Management at LSU, but I have until May to finish it, so that gives me time to take the test. I'll be forfeiting the class tuition at LSU if I withdraw, but LSU won't include it on my transcripts if I do.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
How are the LSU Classes? What do you have to do for a final? I'll be interested to hear feedback on the exam. As Snaz said these are the final two classes for the business degree that Excelsior leaves hanging...
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
sgloer Wrote:That's one of the big deterrants that I see to developing TECEP materials--the exams cost as much as just taking a normal class! That makes me think they're not going to be as popular as the ECE's, which are not even that popular to begin with (compared to CLEP).
I agree with Snazzlefrag. I bet a lot of people would be willing to wait to take these tests if they knew InstantCert was bringing out flashcards for them. I'd put them off until the end if I knew this was true, and of course extend InstantCert. Big Grin
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
dhlvrsn Wrote:How are the LSU Classes? What do you have to do for a final? I'll be interested to hear feedback on the exam. As Snaz said these are the final two classes for the business degree that Excelsior leaves hanging...

So far, I like taking courses at LSU Independent Study. From my experience, the courses at LSU are setup all basically the same. You get a booklet with lesson assignments and instructions. You buy the required textbook(s) for the courses and do the lesson assignments at your own pace. There are usually two or three exams per course.

The only limitation on pace is LSU won't let you turn in more than 3 lesson assignments per course in any seven-day period. The total number of lessons vary. I've seen courses with as low as 14 and as high as 18. They allow you nine months to complete a course from the time of your enrollment.

The exams also vary. I take the exams at my local community college. They charge the same amount for proctoring these exams as they do for DANTES tests. My accounting course has three exams. I have taken the first exam and am waiting for the second to arrive at the test center. I haven't received the grade yet though.

Each exam for my accounting course has 30 multiple choice questions and 3 long problems. I am given 3 hours to complete an exam. I finished the multiple choice questions in about 30 minutes. It took me another hour and 15 to finish the 3 problems.

I haven't started the Op. Management course yet. I looked at the first lesson and when I saw that it was going to require a significant amount of explanatory writing, I put it aside until later. From what I remember from the lesson assignment booklet. The Op. Management course exams (I think there are two) have a minimal number of multiple choice questions, some short answer questions, and three to five short essay type questions. I believe the instructor described an essay answer as two or more paragraphs and 150 to 300 words.

For the TECEP test, I'm going to use my Op. Management textbook and create my own flashcards for all of the key terms at the end of every chapter. Once I have those memorized, I'll go through and collect some additional material from the chapter summaries. I'll study through December and take the test sometime in January.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
SimonTam, I am very interested in these LSU classes but I can't find them at the LSU website. Do you have a link for me?

Thanks,

Christa
BS Business - Excelsior College Summa Cum Laude
Started with 25 credits in March 2006. Tested out with CLEP, Dantes and Tecep.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 369 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 644 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,583 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  TECEP limits? oldguy4associate 4 484 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 739 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 586 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,109 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP midnite123 7 751 08-08-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,222 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 950 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1