Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From College Board: How Many Q#s You Need To Get Right For Your Desired CLEP Score!!
I wrote this on another post, but thought this info deserved a seperate thread.

"Not to resurrect an old thread (), but check that pdf Paul Choe linked to. Page 21 has all the info on how many questions you need to get right to get X CLEP score!!

Here's the link: http://hiteducation.org/files/pla/cl...Psychology.pdf

And if you're not taking Psychology, here's a link to all the scoring information for other CLEP tests: Index of /files/pla/clep-tests

It might be outdated (it says 2012-13 on the front), but this looks quite cool. Check it out!"
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
I'm wondering if there are any advantages if you are going to one of the big 3 of taking cleps vs study.com or straighterline or any other method of study?
CLEPs are a bit more portable if you decide to switch another school, but mainly it's a difference in style of learning. I found CLEPs fairly straightforward, but I have always done well on tests and like them over doing written assignments or lots of quizzes. Other folks would rather have a course type experience.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:CLEPs are a bit more portable if you decide to switch another school, but mainly it's a difference in style of learning. I found CLEPs fairly straightforward, but I have always done well on tests and like them over doing written assignments or lots of quizzes. Other folks would rather have a course type experience.

I definitely agree! I prefer learning on my own and taking a final exam at the end.
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
I like Cleps better, but I think that my nearest testing center is over a half hour away Sad
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
Thanks for posting this! It's making me more confident and feel better about a CLEP I'm going to take since I can now calculate that I only need 40% of the questions correct in order to pass.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
Joeman200 Wrote:Thanks for posting this! It's making me more confident and feel better about a CLEP I'm going to take since I can now calculate that I only need 40% of the questions correct in order to pass.

Please, please take these numbers VERY lightly. These tests are not as simple as oh I just need 40% of them to pass, I would be willing to bet money that a 40% on any clep exam would be a FAIL. For one these numbers are 4 or so years old. I believe another study said you need a minimum of 50% but the REA guides say 66%. Most people will cling on to the percentage that is the easiest and not the most practical. Aim high on these exams, the best exam I did was Psych and its also the only test I KNEW I passed before hitting the score report button.

Either way good luck with your remaining credits!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Please, please take these numbers VERY lightly. These tests are not as simple as oh I just need 40% of them to pass, I would be willing to bet money that a 40% on any clep exam would be a FAIL. For one these numbers are 4 or so years old. I believe another study said you need a minimum of 50% but the REA guides say 66%. Most people will cling on to the percentage that is the easiest and not the most practical. Aim high on these exams, the best exam I did was Psych and its also the only test I KNEW I passed before hitting the score report button.

Either way good luck with your remaining credits!

Thanks for posting that! I did feel a bit skeptical...is it really THAT simple? So do you think I should be aiming for at least 70%ish to pass?
My goal is to score pretty high on the CLEP since I'm a high schooler and I'm taking Psych for the first time, so I want to actually learn it and score in the 70s (if I can, of course!)

My test starts in 2 hours! I'd better get to a bit of review.
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
A lot of the exams have changed too and along with has come some restructuring of how they score the exam. I've heard of people on this board doing moderately well on the practice exams and still failing the actual test. I think you should aim to do as well as you can on all practice exams and not assume it's an easy pass because you only need to get 40% - because the real numbers aren't that low. Some colleges won't take exams if the score is under a certain number.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:A lot of the exams have changed too and along with has come some restructuring of how they score the exam. I've heard of people on this board doing moderately well on the practice exams and still failing the actual test. I think you should aim to do as well as you can on all practice exams and not assume it's an easy pass because you only need to get 40% - because the real numbers aren't that low. Some colleges won't take exams if the score is under a certain number.

I spent a long time studying (2 months!!) and got an 89% on the Official Study Guide practice test for Psychology. From that, would you guess my score would be in the 60s-70s?

Thanks,
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test score rogeryoung 4 186 Yesterday, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,212 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,568 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,956 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 246 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 514 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 212 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP