Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! Homeschooler...Need ideas for a Computer Engineering Degree
(10-15-2019, 08:47 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ... I'm having a hard time getting the quote feature to work, humm.  ...

When you're in the full editor the last icon in the toolbar is "View Source", you can also use ctrl-shift-s. It will show you the actual tags which are much easier to edit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-16-2019, 06:38 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:43 PM)ACI Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 08:47 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm having a hard time getting the quote feature to work, humm.  Ok, you're welcome, and TT is fine for math - it covers the same scope and sequence as Saxon, I was just using it as an example.  My point was just to emphasize that your regular curriculum will provide a good plan that you can build on.  

Based on his neutral approach, my advice is to just keep doing what you're doing.  For his 3 Modern States courses, you may want to enrich them so you feel confident awarding high school credit and covering a bit "more" in terms of reading, writing, research - Modern States is passive (watching) with a bit of evaluation (quiz) but isn't otherwise doing much.

Since your tuition is still really high (even at half price) you can certainly look at other colleges.  Yes, you can enroll anywhere that will let you!  There are colleges that even their out of state tuition is under $100/credit, which is cheaper than what you're paying at $300/class... but CLEP is currently free, so if that works for you, you'll be fine and it won't cost you anything.

My #3 son was ready academically to try his hand at college level but did not do CLEP well at all.  I can't remember exactly, but I think he tried 2 CLEPs (UNsuccessfully) before I realized we needed a different plan lol.  He used Straighterline a lot, but there are many curriculum providers that meet various needs.  For instance, Straighterline (as well as Studycom, Sophia, and others) all are good for awarding ACE credit.  ACE credit isn't accepted everywhere (it is accepted at Thomas Edison which is in your state btw!) whereas if you're looking for very rigorous academics you could look at Veritas Press (but not cheaper than your CC) so there are options, but each option has a different list of pros and cons.  

In my opinion, just plan your high school curriculum as if you didn't know anything about college credit, and then once it's spelled out, you can bring in college credit options that make sense.    

Looking ahead, my advice is to carefully consider 1-2 classes in person at the community college.  Since these are expensive for you, choose wisely.  Choose the subjects that he may find super exciting as opposed to what "looks right" for his hs transcript.  If he loves fitness, choose weight lifting and nutrition.  If he loves gaming, choose something with computers (not Intro to Computers- that's a mind-numbing class that teaches how to use MS Suite) but actually something he'd like.  Drawing, game simulation, music, science, etc.  Being exposed to different teaches outside the home will be a big change, and in the case of my son, it helped him find his passion! And when your teen finds their passion, you won't have to work nearly as hard as you are right now.  Wink  You'll simply be his facilitator and advocate, which is one step closer to feeling them grow up and start taking ownership of their future, and it's so rewarding!!

You'll do great! Smile
Thank you!  Just to clarify - I am having him complete Modern States just to get the free test voucher.  But we are incorporating a LOT of other curriculum to make the content well-rounded and complete.  I have actually not been a big fan of Modern States' content AT ALL!  

Yes, I know TSEU takes so much ACE credit and it is in NJ!  That was the school I was hoping to have him go to.   Blush   I have been reading/researching so much and see so many options for college credit if you go to a school like that...

My big thing:  I don't want him to graduate with debt.  But, I know we can't financially help him get through college. So helping him get a big jump start in high school (a lot of college credit) was my way of helping.  But that option kinda flies out the window with a degree path like engineering.  

Thank you for the advice to choose a college class he'd really enjoy.  I probably wouldn't have necessarily done that.  You are right...when he finds his passion, I won't have to work as hard at this.  That is something I'm really looking forward to, lol!

Do you have ideas on how to find other dual enrollment options?   I'm at a loss unless I just look up 'NJ colleges' and start working my way through websites/phone calls?

MS + curriculum = good plan. Wink Yeah, it's all about the voucher lol.

He doesn't have to graduate with debt if he uses TESU, in fact, I think that's probably why most people choose it, for the price! The price of THEIR credit is high, so the way to keep your degree cost low is by using cheap/free credit and transferring it in. You have to do good planning to make sure this works out, because DIYing a degree takes some work - but homeschool parents are clever enough to do it, so there is no question in my mind that you CAN do it, it's just a matter of deciding if it's the right degree to pursue and how fast or slow he will go.
Using Modern States to augment his hs curriculum is a great plan, if he does well with CLEP, you can accumulate a TON of credit for $0. If you focus on brining down the number of credits he needs, and then more, and then more, and then more, you will eventually hit on a degree that only requires you to pay rack rate tuition for a few classes. And those, you and he can cash flow.

Engineering is inconsistent with a "test out" degree through the big 3. If he's exceptionally motivated, then there are other ways to get a college degree debt free, but since he's not yet there, just keep planning his high school credits and bring in college credit as you go. That way, if in the end he does head off to a traditional college on full scholarship, you've not lost time OR money.

Other colleges for dual enrollment in NJ - I do not have a list, however are you a member of Homeschooling for College Credit in New Jersey Facebook group? The parents there who are homeschooling in NJ AND earning college credit would know better than I about specific colleges and who has the best prices/programs. Let me link you to that group and hopefully, you can make some connections with other parents like you!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1048906355143719

Also, you can use dual enrollment as a distance learner. I keep a list of colleges that charge low out of state tuition AND allow high schooled homeschoolers to enroll (sometimes you can find low tuition but it's not open to high school students and or homeschooled students - other times you can find dual enrollment for high school homeschooled students but the tuition is ridiculous). Anyway, this short list is built based on what other parents are using and sending me and telling me is working for them.
https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...t-schools/

Great list! I’ll throw a couple others out there that I keep hearing about, but have not personally tried (yet): Columbia College, dual credit $225/course including books
https://www.ccis.edu

Grand Canyon University $52.50/cr hr. I think this one might also have a small resource fee or something(?). I’m not able to easily verify at the moment.
https://www.gcu.edu

Jennifer or others, please feel free to give any feedback on these, as I only know what I hear from other homeschoolers online on these.

The last one is via ASU’s Earned Admissions program. I’ve heard good things about their English courses and the Algebra (self paced) is Aleks Math (some like it, some hate it). There’s a scheduled teacher led Algebra too, as I recall. Someone said one of the computer courses was not so great (I don’t recall which—maybe programming?). The cost is $400+25 ID verification (and $20 each time you send a transcript), I believe all materials are included (verify). This is roughly what I’d pay with books dual enrollment at our local cc. What I’m intrigued by is that you can take the course(s) free as many times as you’d like and only pay the fee above to have it put on an ASU transcript when you get the grade you want. I like the idea of that, particularly if the student isn’t super motivated. It gives the opportunity to try college without being perpetually penalized for failure. Same reason I like CLEP so much. So far I have not heard of any transfer credit issues, assuming the course fits the degree plan, they seem to be accepted. Note the dates and length on the courses though. A few are self paced or 16 weeks. Most are 8 weeks. I feel like you’d need to have a very light schedule outside of this course, in order to pull it off at this age. I could be wrong. They do have warnings on the site that these are intensive courses and schedule accordingly.

ea.asu.edu

I’ll second what Jennifer suggested, regarding taking some courses in areas of interest, while it’s relatively cheap dual enrollment. My son is doing that this semester. It’s a course in the major he thinks he’s going to pursue, and he’s enjoying it so far. It’s a course he was interested in, and I felt like he’d get a good grade. It’s also something we could help him with, if he was confused. I wanted it to be a positive 1st experience for him and I knew Eng 101 would NOT be fun or exciting for him. Lol.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-16-2019, 02:38 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 08:47 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ... I'm having a hard time getting the quote feature to work, humm.  ...

When you're in the full editor the last icon in the toolbar is "View Source", you can also use ctrl-shift-s. It will show you the actual tags which are much easier to edit.

Thanks Dave!! That's a big help. Since you're my help desk tonight, any ideas for how I can get bold or italics to work? I lost that feature on my computer when the forum went through the upgrade. Not a big deal, but I see others have it.
Rainbow 
(10-17-2019, 05:55 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Thanks Dave!! That's a big help.  Since you're my help desk tonight, any ideas for how I can get bold or italics to work?  I lost that feature on my computer when the forum went through the upgrade.   Not a big deal, but I see others have it.

It's available if you reply, and also if you start a post and then hit preview post - there's a second window that has the preview (at least on my computer) and I can do all the fancy stuff. Bold, Italic, Red, smilies, you name it!  Big Grin
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Even if he ends up with an engineering degree, it is likely that he will have to take some general education, liberal arts type courses, and most schools will accept CLEP exams for those types of requirements. If he does go for something like electrical engineering, he should NOT try to CLEP science and math courses. I am talking about composition, literature, basic psychology... that type of stuff. So that would probably be the safest place to start.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(10-22-2019, 12:38 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 05:55 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Thanks Dave!! That's a big help.  Since you're my help desk tonight, any ideas for how I can get bold or italics to work?  I lost that feature on my computer when the forum went through the upgrade.   Not a big deal, but I see others have it.

It's available if you reply, and also if you start a post and then hit preview post - there's a second window that has the preview (at least on my computer) and I can do all the fancy stuff. Bold, Italic, Red, smilies, you name it!  Big Grin

I'm in that setting now, but no luck. It's ok, thank you for trying!
(10-22-2019, 11:09 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm in that setting now, but no luck.  It's ok, thank you for trying!

Weird. You mean you don't see the icons that control bold or italic or that they don't work when you use them? You might try the keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-b for Bold, ctrl-i for Italic).

OK, did a little research. If you go into the User control panel and choose "Edit Options" on the left, there's a setting called, "Show the MyCode formatting options on the posting pages.". If you turn it off, the formatting bar disappears from the editor. If you turn it on, I think it will fix your problems. You can also make source mode the default when you create posts.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-22-2019, 01:09 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 11:09 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm in that setting now, but no luck.  It's ok, thank you for trying!

Weird. You mean you don't see the icons that control bold or italic or that they don't work when you use them? You might try the keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-b for Bold, ctrl-i for Italic).

OK, did a little research. If you go into the User control panel and choose "Edit Options" on the left, there's a setting called, "Show the MyCode formatting options on the posting pages.". If you turn it off, the formatting bar disappears from the editor. If you turn it on, I think it will fix your problems. You can also make source mode the default when you create posts.

Also, if you just type in the "Quick Reply" box instead of hitting the "Reply" button, you won't see the editing features.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

It's difficult to push a child to do something when they are not motivated. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens is a good start IMO, it changed my daughter, and it changed me. That book teaches parents how to get your family and especially kids, on the same page without beating them up, holding a carrot over their head (like paying for grades and nonsense like that), supervising them, yelling, screaming. Following the habits really helped to smooth out the family dynamics. I think all adults in the home should try reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  If you've read it already, revisit it. Reread it.

Next, maybe just take the ACE credits every now and then, when you can afford them, and think of them as icing on the cake. The "Big Three" are colleges, but engineering is extremely competitive, with kids from all over the world applying to OUR schools and getting in because, frankly, they don't baby their kids when it comes to education. They understand the USA is a super power and they know the way from under poverty and regime change is having a kick ass education, (look at Japan... did they really lose the war?) 
A few years ago I went to visit my girlfriend's family home in Connecticut. They're South Asians (or "Indians" as we americans call them). I walked in the home and what I saw changed me forever. Everyone was studying, talking about school work and academics, the older generation sitting patiently with the children. Her father is an engineer, she's an MIT grad and astronautical engineer, the mom is a teacher and her aunt is a surgeon. After a busy and exhausting day at work, all of this people were in the home with the next generation, tutoring them, helping them with homework, helping them with math and most times they were already far in front of the class, academically speaking. What I'm saying is, their family had a mission and the kids saw that the adults were not just paying lip service. They were spending the time to do the courses with them, even though they just came home from stressful jobs themselves. They whole family was on the same page and they had a unified mission. So the kid were not sitting there, scratching their heads, wondering what they should do with their lives... they already knew what they were interested in.
Now take my family in contrast Sad , us teenagers were watching television and netflix, horse playing, and afterwork the adults go upstairs and sleep, and my dad just beat the sh!t out of me when I brought home crappy grades. But I just took the beating and went back to playing video games and other time wasting activities.  

It's a tough spot to be in. You want the best for your kid in this hyper competitive world, but at the same time you want them to show passion for something when they still cannot truly know who they are.

Maybe I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say it, that it seems like you gotta do some deeper work here. The college thing won't work without a unified family mission that everyone is clear about and agrees on, shared values, and everyone in the house (parents included), pulling their weight to honor those values. 
Like someone else said, don't put the cart before the horse.
(10-22-2019, 01:09 PM)davewill Wrote:

Heart Fixed!! Thanks a bunch!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 585 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 264 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 276 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 608 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 322 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 263 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,695 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 284 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain