Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberal Studies vs. Others
You have all helped me tremendously and I'm not sure where else to ask. I've decided on TESU and I'm about 25 credits away from completing my Bachelors. My end goal is to work in child welfare in some capacity. I don't really intend on going for my Masters but I guess you never know. I've been pursuing a BA in Sociology. Here's my question, does a BA in Liberal Arts feel like enough of an allied field to Social Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, Human Services, etc. or not at all? That would be sooo much cheaper for me to complete and probably quite a bit easier in the long run.

Side note, I do have a good amount of upper level Human Services courses from my Associates. My degree audit for a BA in Human Services left a lot of unused courses so I've pretty much ruled that one out. 

Thanks so much!
(10-24-2020, 09:48 PM)SJKBAE Wrote: You have all helped me tremendously and I'm not sure where else to ask. I've decided on TESU and I'm about 25 credits away from completing my Bachelors. My end goal is to work in child welfare in some capacity. I don't really intend on going for my Masters but I guess you never know. I've been pursuing a BA in Sociology. Here's my question, does a BA in Liberal Arts feel like enough of an allied field to Social Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, Human Services, etc. or not at all? That would be sooo much cheaper for me to complete and probably quite a bit easier in the long run.

Side note, I do have a good amount of upper level Human Services courses from my Associates. My degree audit for a BA in Human Services left a lot of unused courses so I've pretty much ruled that one out. 

Thanks so much!
It'll be easier to assist if you post all your credits and where you took them. That way when forum members help with degree plans they aren't telling you about courses you already have.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I'm not necessarily looking for ideas on courses to take although if there are suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm looking for someone who may know if a Liberal Studies degree is enough of an allied field to those listed above.

Here is my completed courses if anyone has suggestions. Thank you!

Associate of Science in Human Services at Columbia College:
HUMS105 Intro to Human Service - 3
HUMS 250 Working to Individuals - 3
CISS170 Intro to Computer Info Systems - 3
ENGL111 English Comp 1 - 3
HUMS335 Working with Groups - 3
HUMS340 Working with Families - 3
ENGL112 English Comp 2 - 3
PHIL201 Intro to Western Philosophy - 3
HUMS345 Working with Communities - 3
PSYC101 General Psychology - 3
HUMS310 Military Case Work - 3
HUMS380 Substance Abuse - 3
ENGL123 Intro to Mythology - 3
HUMS390 Child Welfare - 3
SOCI218 Social Deviance - 3

Transfer Credits from a Community College which became part of my Associates
POLS101 Intro to Politics
ECE135 Family Dynamics
ECE130 Intro to Issues in ECE
CHEM 101 College Chem
ECE125 Health/Safety/Nutrition

Sophia:
Public Speaking
Human Biology
Intro to Ethics
Visual Communications
Intro to IT
Into to Sociology
Art History I
Art History II
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Approached to Studying Religion
College Readiness
Essentials of Managing Conflict - 1
Developing Effective Teams - 1

Study.com:
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System
Social Science 108: Ethics in the Social Sciences
Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace

ALEKS:
College Algebra - 3

American Institute for Chartered...
Ethics and CPCU Code Code of Professional Conduct - 2
My recommendation is to get the TESU BALS with a Social Science concentration, as an example, you can then ladder that into a Walden MS Psychology, MS Early Child Studies, or an MHA, then there are options to go into other competency based Masters that just requires a "check the box bachelors" for admissions entry. The BALS with a Social Science is sufficient for most cases, if not all programs for entry into a Liberal Arts Masters, unless you're going for something that is licensed or regulated, there may be additional requirements at the "bigger/selective/stricter" non profit or public schools. You should create a "What if I changed my program" academic evaluation of the BALS, and the BS Human Services, or any other degrees that interest you and attach those as a pdf or doc file so we can try to assist you further.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SJKBAE
(10-25-2020, 12:32 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My recommendation is to get the TESU BALS with a Social Science concentration, as an example, you can then ladder that into a Walden MS Psychology, MS Early Child Studies, or an MHA, then there are options to go into other competency based Masters that just requires a "check the box bachelors" for admissions entry.  The BALS with a Social Science is sufficient for most cases, if not all programs for entry into a Liberal Arts Masters, unless you're going for something that is licensed or regulated, there may be additional requirements at the "bigger/selective/stricter" non profit or public schools.  You should create a "What if I changed my program" academic evaluation of the BALS, and the BS Human Services, or any other degrees that interest you and attach those as a pdf or doc file so we can try to assist you further.

This might be dumb but could would it literally be listed as Bachelors of Liberal Arts in Social Science? Or something like that? Would Social Science be on the actual degree? I'm sure that's an insane question.

I do have an appointment with an advisor next week. Just trying to plan ahead of that appointment.
(10-25-2020, 12:40 AM)SJKBAE Wrote: This might be dumb but could would it literally be listed as Bachelors of Liberal Arts in Social Science? Or something like that? Would Social Science be on the actual degree? I'm sure that's an insane question.

I do have an appointment with an advisor next week. Just trying to plan ahead of that appointment.

For BA degrees, TESU typically just lists the degree itself (Bachelor of Arts) on the degree certificate and lists the major/area of study & concentration on the transcript.

You can see an example of a BA in Psychology degree certificate here, uploaded by one of our forum members @jsd.

So for a BALS in Social Science, the certificate will show Bachelor of Arts, the transcript will list the degree as Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Studies for the area of study (major), and Social Science for the concentration.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,087 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 444 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
  Help with degree plan for combined Math & Environmental Studies RavioliMachine 12 600 01-08-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 514 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Help with TESU AAS in Health Studies Pathway to BSN maebak2skl 14 1,093 07-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: maebak2skl
  Thoughts on Walden University Early Childhood Studies BS Seeker203 3 612 06-22-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Excelsior liberal arts and Tesu Business admin ! jakill2 7 710 04-11-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need help figuring out my graduate studies plan spohara 3 414 03-01-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: spohara
  Plan for Excelsior BS Liberal Arts JTPhoneHome 16 2,276 11-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU AAS Applied Computer Studies siege101 26 2,240 11-01-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77