Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice... Would I be better off at COSC?
I have been gaining credits off and on for the last several years after discovering this website. I was going for a history, liberal studies, or social sciences degree at TESU, but now I am unsure that this is a good route to take with their new fee structure and tuition costs. I was looking at COSC for perhaps a General Studies degree with a concentration in history. Does anyone think this would be more cost effective? I have my credits listed below, please let me hear your opinions about either going to TESU or pursuing COSC.

Credits
Eng 101 (CC) 3
Eng 102 (CC) 3
Public Speaking (CC) 3
College Algebra (AMU) 3
Sociology (CC) 3
American Government (CLEP) 3
Western Civ I (SL) 3
Western Civ II (CLEP) 3
Am. Hist I (CC) 3
Am Hist II (CC) 3
Biol I (AMU) 3
Biol Lab (AMU) 1
Intro to Computers (DSST) 3
Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS) 3
Psychology (CC) 3
Music Appreciation (CC) 3
Microeconomics (AMU) 3
History of Vietnam War (DSST) 3
Rise and Fall of Soviet Union (DSST) 3
Intro to Modern Mid East (DSST) 3
World Lit (AMU) 3
Civ War (DSST) 3
Intro Ab Psy (CC) 3
Philosphoy of Rel (CC) 3
Macroeconomics (AMU) in progress
Geography (AMU) in progress
Int. World Religions (CC) 3
Amu Introductory course (TESC counting as elec) (AMU) 3
Fin Acct. (AMU) 3
Bus law (CC) 3
Intro Business (CC) 3
Business Math (CC) 3
Prin. Mgmt (CC) 3
Phys Ed credit (CC) 1
7 FEMA credits
chasm636 Wrote:I have been gaining credits off and on for the last several years after discovering this website. I was going for a history, liberal studies, or social sciences degree at TESU, but now I am unsure that this is a good route to take with their new fee structure and tuition costs. I was looking at COSC for perhaps a General Studies degree with a concentration in history. Does anyone think this would be more cost effective? I have my credits listed below, please let me hear your opinions about either going to TESU or pursuing COSC.

Credits
Eng 101 (CC) 3
Eng 102 (CC) 3
Public Speaking (CC) 3
College Algebra (AMU) 3
Sociology (CC) 3
American Government (CLEP) 3
Western Civ I (SL) 3
Western Civ II (CLEP) 3
Am. Hist I (CC) 3
Am Hist II (CC) 3
Biol I (AMU) 3
Biol Lab (AMU) 1
Intro to Computers (DSST) 3
Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS) 3
Psychology (CC) 3
Music Appreciation (CC) 3
Microeconomics (AMU) 3
History of Vietnam War (DSST) 3
Rise and Fall of Soviet Union (DSST) 3
Intro to Modern Mid East (DSST) 3
World Lit (AMU) 3
Civ War (DSST) 3
Intro Ab Psy (CC) 3
Philosphoy of Rel (CC) 3
Macroeconomics (AMU) in progress
Geography (AMU) in progress
Int. World Religions (CC) 3
Amu Introductory course (TESC counting as elec) (AMU) 3
Fin Acct. (AMU) 3
Bus law (CC) 3
Intro Business (CC) 3
Business Math (CC) 3
Prin. Mgmt (CC) 3
Phys Ed credit (CC) 1
7 FEMA credits

From skimming this list, I don't think there are any upper level credits, COSC and TESU requirements differ.
You may want to check out both schools and see how many credits go where and what you're missing.
So, create a spreadsheet for both schools and enter what you have and cross reference what's needed.
COSC https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...uirements/
TESU BALS BA in Liberal Studies Degree at Thomas Edison State University

In regards to cost, they are pretty much the same, check their websites and do a quick calculation.
You will need a capstone and cornerstone from both, but the fees also differ.
COSC https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...t_fees.cfm
TESU Thomas Edison State University: Fees

Note: You may want to apply to the school and get an evaluation, also to find what/where you need to take courses so it would transfer over properly. I would still lean towards TESU even with the changes made as the courses being transferred later is easier to find as, for me, I wouldn't want to pay for a course at either.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You are really close to a BALS at TESU. If you take the free Ethics course, the free Kaplan course, 2 free NFA courses, 1 free TEEX course, 2 UL course (assuming 3 of the history DSST's are UL, which I'm not sure of), 1 LL course, the Capstone, and the Cornerstone, you are done. Assuming the courses/exams you take are $100 each, you're about $4,000 away.

If some of the DSST's are not UL, then you will need to replace the LL requirement with a different UL course.

Also, just a reminder that anything you took at a CC is LL, even if it's normally an UL course at TESU (like Abnormal Psych).

For some reason, I can't attach my spreadsheet, so I won't, but really you're very close. You should take all of the free courses ASAP, and then figure out which UL courses you want to take, and get those done as well. Then send in your transcript to TESU and see where you stand,
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:You are really close to a BALS at TESU. If you take the free Ethics course, the free Kaplan course, the Free NFA courses, 1 UL course (assuming the 4 history DSST's are UL, which I'm not sure of), 3 LL courses, the Capstone, and the Cornerstone, you are done. Assuming the courses/exams you take are $100 each, you're about $4000 away.

If some of the DSST's are not UL, then you will need to replace the LL requirement with a different UL course.

Also, just a reminder that anything you took at a CC is LL, even if it's normally an UL course at TESU (like Abnormal Psych).

Does NFA count under General Education Electives? I might need 3 more credits for that.

Edit: Just did a search and found out it can only be used under free electives.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,325 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,045 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,440 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,149 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,814 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,027 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98