Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more BA in Social Sciences at TESU!
I asked advising to change me from a learner designed area of study to the BA in social sciences. Don Stoltz in the Office of Academic Advising told me that

"We longer offer a straight BA in Social Science degree [sic]. However, we do offer a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences. I've added this degree to your file as a potential degree program."

The BA in Social Sciences does still appear on the TESU website, and the new degree does not, but I guess they haven't updated it for the 2016-2017 school year yet.

The good news is that I needed 5 less credits because of the change.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
wow, bummer.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Same thing happened to me for the Bachelor of Arts in Humanities. It's now BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Humanities. I wish they weren't so slow to update the website with new information.
This is my degree plan!! Sad(( Ughhh. This happened to me years ago when I was working towards the BA in Psych and all of a sudden the catalog changed and they added a CAPSTONE and it completely threw me off course. Now here I am years later, returning to finish my degree but this time pursuing the BA in Social Sciences and they inactivate it. LUCKILY I am locked into the 2015/16 Catalog so they are going to honor the BA in Social Science degree. I officially am on the clock and have to get this degree finished!

*Incidentally I spoke to the Associate Director of Admissions and she told me that they are not 'totally' doing away with it, just changing the linguistics of the name of the degree so instead of it being called the BA in Social Sciences, it will now be the BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences. It sounded better the first way and Im grateful Im locked in but she did add that youre Diploma only says Bachelors of Arts, not the type of degree and that its the transcripts that list all the courses and more specifics of what that degree was for.
GOAL: TESU B.A. PSYCHOLOGY

Have approx. 14 classes left....

ADVICE/PLANS WELCOME!!!
And where does that leave a student like myself, who is on the 15-16 catalog for a BA.SS?

eta: I just saw your post, and am probably in the same boat. If it doesn't really matter, then I am wondering if it would save me time/money to switch to the newer degree name?

lovewins Wrote:This is my degree plan!! Sad(( Ughhh. This happened to me years ago when I was working towards the BA in Psych and all of a sudden the catalog changed and they added a CAPSTONE and it completely threw me off course. Now here I am years later, returning to finish my degree but this time pursuing the BA in Social Sciences and they inactivate it. LUCKILY I am locked into the 2015/16 Catalog so they are going to honor the BA in Social Science degree. I officially am on the clock and have to get this degree finished!

*Incidentally I spoke to the Associate Director of Admissions and she told me that they are not 'totally' doing away with it, just changing the linguistics of the name of the degree so instead of it being called the BA in Social Sciences, it will now be the BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences. It sounded better the first way and Im grateful Im locked in but she did add that youre Diploma only says Bachelors of Arts, not the type of degree and that its the transcripts that list all the courses and more specifics of what that degree was for.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:And where does that leave a student like myself, who is on the 15-16 catalog for a BA.SS?

eta: I just saw your post, and am probably in the same boat. If it doesn't really matter, then I am wondering if it would save me time/money to switch to the newer degree name?

Its a matter of what sounds better to you. I personally think BA in Social Sciences looks better on a resume than BA in Liberal Studies but thats just me. I dont believe the newly worded version is going to have any changes in coursework but you may want to make sure before you do anything permanent.

ADVICE/PLANS WELCOME!!!
lovewins Wrote:Its a matter of what sounds better to you. I personally think BA in Social Sciences looks better on a resume than BA in Liberal Studies but thats just me. I dont believe the newly worded version is going to have any changes in coursework but you may want to make sure before you do anything permanent.

Yes, agree completely. If I wanted to just say BA.LS, I could have been done already. banghead
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Just a note to any newbie's reading this thread....Ive been flirting with TESU for the past 5 years now and so have seen many changes. It is my opinion and observation that things are becoming more and more difficult, and not easier, to 'test-out' of their degrees. They used to never have a Capstone or Cornerstone and FEMA credits used to be accepted as free electives, for example. My advice to anyone looking to get started is dont delay on APPLYING. Send in the $75 and lock yourself into the current catalog. Your application will be good for a year and if they make any changes, they have to honor the catalog you applied under. Changes, and not little ones, seem to be a regular occurance at TESU. Unfortunately I learned the hard way.

ADVICE/PLANS WELCOME!!!
lovewins Wrote:Just a note to any newbie's reading this thread....Ive been flirting with TESU for the past 5 years now and so have seen many changes. It is my opinion and observation that things are becoming more and more difficult, and not easier, to 'test-out' of their degrees. They used to never have a Capstone or Cornerstone and FEMA credits used to be accepted as free electives, for example. My advice to anyone looking to get started is dont delay on APPLYING. Send in the $75 and lock yourself into the current catalog. Your application will be good for a year and if they make any changes, they have to honor the catalog you applied under. Changes, and not little ones, seem to be a regular occurance at TESU. Unfortunately I learned the hard way.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but applying alone does not lock you into a catalog -- you must be enrolled under a catalog to be "locked in." Technically, there's no such thing as being locked in -- it's just that once you're enrolled, you have a contract, and it's not legal for them to unilaterally change that contract. Before you're enrolled, there is no contract, so things can change without you having a say in the matter.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but applying alone does not lock you into a catalog -- you must be enrolled under a catalog to be "locked in." Technically, there's no such thing as being locked in -- it's just that once you're enrolled, you have a contract, and it's not legal for them to unilaterally change that contract. Before you're enrolled, there is no contract, so things can change without you having a say in the matter.
Ultimately, yes, you have to enroll, but I'm pretty sure applying sets the date, assuming you enroll within the year. So, if you don't enroll, or if you let your enrollment lapse, then you lose the "lock-in", but applying gets starts the process.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,104 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,642 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,731 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore