Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPNow blurry photo flagged - which webcam?!
This is one of those beyond frustrated posts. 

My daughter took an Onlinedegree proctored exam today through RP Now. This is our first "proctored exam experience."  The picture of her photo ID was blurry and they flagged it and requested that she submit a new one through their website. She spent over 30 minutes trying to clear a clear picture the first time.

We have a Logitech 310 HD webcam with autofocus. There is no option to switch it to a manual focus. I downloaded the Logitech software and attempted to get a clearer picture by holding it further away and zooming in. But during the proctoring, my daughter said she had to use their software and there was no zoom.

Please, please just tell me what to buy from Amazon. Or how to get a clear picture. We are anticipating many, many more proctored exams and we need to figure this out. HELP!
Webcam matters somewhat but in order to get a clearer picture, the biggest thing is lighting and stabilization. I am sure that webcam can handle it with good lighting. I used that webcam a couple times. I have an extra light just for taking the ID photo which I turn off. For stabilization, I have the ID on the desk so it can't move, and then I have the webcam against a stable surface or affixed so it can't wobble. Sometimes you have to move the webcam a little closer or farther away to make it re-focus.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Murdockb
take a picture of the ID and blow it up bigger so that it's more legible when holding it up to the cam, either on your cell phone or print it out
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • Murdockb
FYI, you can use the Logitech software at the same time as the proctoring software. I used to need to use their software to sharpen my photo ID images. You just need to run the Logitech app after the proctor software already has established its camera connection, and be sure to exit the Logitech application before starting the proctored exam.

Then I discovered that the way to get a good image with the Logitech autofocus webcams is to put the ID very close to the camera so it focuses on the text or photo and then slowly back up until the full ID is captured in the frame. Once I started doing this, I no longer needed to use the Logitech software to get a crystal clear ID image every time. Sometimes it requires moving the ID around a bit to get it to initially focus, but once it does you can usually back up and it will continue to adjust its focus to keep it clear. 

As Ideas said, you also need to make sure you have enough light as well. I have a lot of light in the room, including a desk lamp right next to my computer, when taking the exams.

I have the Logitech C922, but it should apply to the 310 HD just the same.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Murdockb
(01-15-2019, 08:20 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: take a picture of the ID and blow it up bigger so that it's more legible when holding it up to the cam, either on your cell phone or print it out
THANK YOU! We ended up taking the picture on the iPad and zooming in and then taking a picture of that. It worked perfectly although for an actual exam I'm not sure if they allow you to have other devices around. Maybe it is ok if you use it and put it away before the room scan.

(01-15-2019, 08:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: FYI, you can use the Logitech software at the same time as the proctoring software. I used to need to use their software to sharpen my photo ID images. You just need to run the Logitech app after the proctor software already has established its camera connection, and be sure to exit the Logitech application before starting the proctored exam.

Then I discovered that the way to get a good image with the Logitech autofocus webcams is to put the ID very close to the camera so it focuses on the text or photo and then slowly back up until the full ID is captured in the frame. Once I started doing this, I no longer needed to use the Logitech software to get a crystal clear ID image every time. Sometimes it requires moving the ID around a bit to get it to initially focus, but once it does you can usually back up and it will continue to adjust its focus to keep it clear. 

As Ideas said, you also need to make sure you have enough light as well. I have a lot of light in the room, including a desk lamp right next to my computer, when taking the exams.

I have the Logitech C922, but it should apply to the 310 HD just the same.

That is good to know about the software. Thank you.

We've tried holding it close and then moving it out but it doesn't seem to focus close up no matter how long we hold it there. We also have a lot of light. Before the exam, we spent a couple of hours trying to get a good picture. It was semi-blurry at best. I'm not ruling out user error. But at least we have a good picture now!
zzzz24 Wrote:take a picture of the ID and blow it up bigger so that it's more legible when holding it up to the cam, either on your cell phone or print it out

This is pretty much exactly what I had to do when doing the exams in the kitchen, the light right above the kitchen table is very dim - it's hard to keep things clear unless it's in the morning or early afternoon, but I don't have time until the kids sleep, so it's pretty dim when I test out.

So, anyways, the last 6 exams I did in the month, I did them all in the Bathroom! Hahaha... that small little room had the best lighting anywhere! Basically I moved everything from the counter and placed it into the bath tub. The pictures came out very clear on the ipad and I just tucked it away before the room scan.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Funny you mention this.  I just had this problem within the past two weeks.  I had an older Logitech webcam without autofocus or HD.  It had worked fine for ProctorU for many years.  Believe it or not, I just took my first RP exam(which I DESPISE RPNow software, by the way, but they are so much more convenient than Proctor U).  I went out to Wal Mart and bought a Logitech HD 1080 cam with autofocus.  It works much better, but as others have mentioned, it requires good lighting.  I move the ID close to the camera and back out slowly and it will clear right up and make the image crisp.

Sometimes, for me, it is the difference in moving my body to the side and allowing more light from the overhead room light to hit the ID.  Or I turn and take the photo right under the light. 

Don't get me started on those holgorams.  Wink
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(01-15-2019, 08:04 PM)Murdockb Wrote: This is one of those beyond frustrated posts. 

My daughter took an Onlinedegree proctored exam today through RP Now. This is our first "proctored exam experience."  The picture of her photo ID was blurry and they flagged it and requested that she submit a new one through their website. She spent over 30 minutes trying to clear a clear picture the first time.

We have a Logitech 310 HD webcam with autofocus. There is no option to switch it to a manual focus. I downloaded the Logitech software and attempted to get a clearer picture by holding it further away and zooming in. But during the proctoring, my daughter said she had to use their software and there was no zoom.

Please, please just tell me what to buy from Amazon. Or how to get a clear picture. We are anticipating many, many more proctored exams and we need to figure this out. HELP!

My computer came with a crappy webcam and I also bought one on amazon for $10 that plugs into the USB - we've used both, I've even recorded videos and have not had any trouble. From the sound of it, your webcam is better than mine- I'm wondering what could have happened??
Strange that you had this issue. I always seem to have a blurry picture but can't get a better one because of the terrible lighting situation, so I always worry but have never had an issue.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-29-2019, 01:58 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My computer came with a crappy webcam and I also bought one on amazon for $10 that plugs into the USB - we've used both, I've even recorded videos and have not had any trouble.  From the sound of it, your webcam is better than mine- I'm wondering what could have happened??

No idea. We could get very clear pics when we just used the webcam software. But when we used the RPNow software it was super blurry no matter what we tried. However, taking a pic with the ipad, blowing it up, and then taking a pic with that worked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flash, RPNow / PSI, & Proctoring rachel83az 0 698 08-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Rpnow study.com network error!!! dfwdegree 10 2,880 05-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  rpnow study.com maxxor6868 4 1,284 04-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  Study.com webcam/proctoring software question AwardTour 16 4,863 09-28-2019, 03:38 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Study.com- RPNow question gamebradie 4 1,418 02-19-2019, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Problems with webcam study.com proctor need help? fork 14 3,935 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  RPNow and Messy Room scoriae 38 7,659 06-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Did my webcam just screw me? Motivated2move 5 1,313 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Motivated2move
  RPNow question a2jc4life 8 1,951 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Davar's Intro to Finance $20 until 2/16; Now uses RPnow for on-demand proctoring jsd 19 3,338 02-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Last Post: KayV