Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rejected by WGU. Looking for Opinions
So I applied, registered and did their assessment test. The test and essay was really quite easy in case anyone was curious. The response I got back and basic confirmation from the "enrollment adviser" was that the reason I was not admitted was due to not enough transfer credits. I currently do not have any credits and have never taken any classes for credit. I have never even enrolled in college.

The adviser explained that this was basically due to the amount of students enrolling that do have transfer credits and he pointed me towards Straigherline to try to receive credit for at least College Algebra and Comp I. I do know that WGU is a partner college of Straighterline so that's kind of a red flag to me but the fact that I can receive up to a $2000 is also intriguing. The adviser said I could take more Straighterline courses if I wanted to but to call him and make sure they were acceptable with the program I wanted to enroll in beforehand(B.S. Business Management).

What is your thoughts on this?
The WGU model does not work well for students who do not have previous higher ed experience of some type (classes, CBE, certifications, etc). I believe they had associate degree programs at one time and dropped them for this reason.

Why is WGU being a partner with Straighterline a red flag for you? I think Straighterline is a great way to see if the WGU model will work for you. Spending a couple of hundred dollars at Straighterline to see if you are self motivated enough to handle their model is cheaper then spending $3,000 for a semester at WGU to find out that you are not. Not saying that the two education models are the same but they are similar enough that being successful at one should be a good indicator of possible success at the other.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I am surprised this is an issue, but I think the SL option is valid for the reasons ajs pointed out. Did they tell you how many credits they expected? Are Math and English the sticking points...that actually makes a little sense, WGU won't hold your hand. You have to be able to perform from the start to manage the program readily. Competency based means you bring some understanding to the table.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
The only red flag to me is that WGU is so quick to point out to go to Straighterline for credit and then come back. In my field, property management, that's called "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and I see this type of action all the time. I also have certifications that I achieved that used the same structure of education and that is was made me gravitate towards WGU to begin with(CPM, CCIM, RPA, FMA, LEED AP). Its just WGU doesn't accept any of them towards credit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking offense to any of this but after 15+ years of being in a field where you see these types of things all the time, you go looking for a second opinion. I actually have Comp I and Algebra in a cart on straighterline right now lol.
bldgengineer Wrote:The only red flag to me is that WGU is so quick to point out to go to Straighterline for credit and then come back. In my field, property management, that's called "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and I see this type of action all the time. I also have certifications that I achieved that used the same structure of education and that is was made me gravitate towards WGU to begin with(CPM, CCIM, RPA, FMA, LEED AP). Its just WGU doesn't accept any of them towards credit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking offense to any of this but after 15+ years of being in a field where you see these types of things all the time, you go looking for a second opinion. I actually have Comp I and Algebra in a cart on straighterline right now lol.

I don't know if there is any financial incentive for WGU recommending SL, but even if there is, I think it's an appropriate recommendation. They are giving you a starting point by which you can get a few credits without a huge commitment to see if higher learning is for you. If you're arguing that they should also include information about CLEP, DSST, and other CBE options, I would definitely agree with you.

As for your rejection for not having any previous college coursework, this is the WGU policy, and it makes sense. A student who has no prior experience either with college or with CBE will have a hard time adjusting to the WGU model.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
bldgengineer Wrote:The only red flag to me is that WGU is so quick to point out to go to Straighterline for credit and then come back. In my field, property management, that's called "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and I see this type of action all the time. I also have certifications that I achieved that used the same structure of education and that is was made me gravitate towards WGU to begin with(CPM, CCIM, RPA, FMA, LEED AP). Its just WGU doesn't accept any of them towards credit.

I see where you are coming from when looking at the straighterline recommendation. Maybe there is some of that or maybe there isn't. From a practical point of view applying for SL is easy, you can start the class almost immediately, and finish it as fast as you can but if you go to a community college the application is more time consuming, you may not be able to start a class until summer sessions in May and then you wouldn't finish until late July or early August.

Did you ask about CBE options?
Alternative Sources, Humanities
Alternative Sources, Social Sciences

The WGU programs have very detailed requirements and little if any room for general or free electives which limits the possibility of accepting outside credentials that do not fit neatly into the requirements. This is one of the reasons I decided to enroll at COSC instead of WGU.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

The English can be completed in one or two months, I managed College Algebra in 28 days....so I would do the subscription service plus each class to save money over paying the $400/course.

Has WGU promised to accept you once these two classes are done?
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Note WGU lists several alternatives such as the Composition CLEP Alternative Sources for Transferable Courses
AS in EMS August 2010

Maybe COSC is an option: Business Administration - Charter Oak State College

They do credential evaluations so some of your certifications might be worth credit.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:Maybe COSC is an option: Business Administration - Charter Oak State College

They do credential evaluations so some of your certifications might be worth credit.

The OP has no college credits so probably would have a similar problem with COSC.

"All applicants must ... possess a minimum of 9 acceptable college-level credits." How to Apply - Charter Oak State College
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,685 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Sorry, You’ve Been Rejected. Now Let’s Party LevelUP 0 380 04-25-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Opinions…. Do you request a name change? Vle045 8 934 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Online Courses @ University of Phoenix - Opinions? Silly_Me 7 3,219 08-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  AS in Math, opinions please StoicJ 63 7,722 06-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Davar Opinions Kgaul 9 2,612 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Kgaul
  CSU Employment Law CBE - Opinions? rowan555 2 943 12-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Last Post: KayV
  TESU vs WGU - Any Advice? And Also, Opinions on Ashworth? rowan555 19 5,932 11-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Opinions on Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Data Science? edwardfurlong 1 1,517 10-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: clep3705
  Opinions about online education changing Prloko 14 2,902 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: jsd