Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences
For whatever reason they respond to the chatbox function more and/or quicker than email.

I do wish that you could get the ssme grader for each paper. It'll eliminate the guess work of what's my graders preference and a slew of other problems.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Pikachu
You can't exactly expect much of anything when a course has like 10 assignments to grade and all you're paying is $79 a month. I had a pretty good experience with both Eng. I and II. All my graders were either very nice or might have had a bad day here or there but on the whole were fair. So if you haven't taken these courses yet don't expect that you will FOR SURE have a bad grader.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • cerich67
(11-09-2020, 12:56 PM)ARhead Wrote: You can't exactly expect much of anything when a course has like 10 assignments to grade and all you're paying is $79 a month. I had a pretty good experience with both Eng. I and II. All my graders were either very nice or might have had a bad day here or there but on the whole were fair. So if you haven't taken these courses yet don't expect that you will FOR SURE have a bad grader.

Why can't we expect a fair grade? So what we pay $79 a month? There are THOUSANDS of people paying that same fee. For some of us, it took us 3 months to get to the end of the course. It's extremely difficult to complete this course in a month due to the time grading takes. 

You've been lucky about your graders. I had the same one 5 out of 6 times. She contradicted herself on almost every paper. She approved my outline which I followed to a T for my rough draft then she tore the rough draft apart saying I didn't follow the rubric, thesis, and other things. She never answered my concerns in the Reflection questions either. She gave me a hard time again - every single paper with references she's done this - about the APA references and formatting but has NEVER explained what the problem is. I have used reference citation generators and they all turned out the same thing. I have reviewed it on Purdue OWL and the format is exactly how they want it for APA 6. APA 6 is now considered old news. I used APA 7 and everything was shredded. 

So while you may not have had a bad experience, many of us have. There are many people on this thread who have. Please don't make light of our experience. They are in fact real experiences from real people. 

Oh and you have 7 writing assignments not 10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
If you are suffering an unfair grader in English Composition not following the rubric or being clearly biased DO NOT LAY DOWN, email Sophia and complain. They will try to defend the grader, yes. Because this is what they're supposed to do. Keep complaining about the bad graders that don't follow their own instructions.

Email learningcoach@sophiau.com your essay and the reasons why they didn't follow the rubric. Do not email learningcoach@sophia.org as that is a marketing email, the other email is their real learning coach email, they give the wrong email on the website, email sophiau.com

Now here's the important part, make sure you CC Mike Felt on it. mike.felt@sophia.org He started looking into Sophia English Composition complaints personally. He's not really responding, but he's been getting CC'd by supervisors responding and defending bad graders. Mike Felt is very high ranking at Capella and Sophia, like at Executive level. 

Step 1: Write an email why Sophia didn't follow their won assignment/rubric
Step 2: Email it and attach your essay to learningcoach@sophiau.com and mike.felt@sophia.org
Step 3: Follow up with them in every 48 hours you don't get a response. Include Mike Felt in ALL FOLLOWUPS.

By doing this myself, I got a different grader to look at my assignments and had a way different experience.
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts, TwinMom
(11-09-2020, 01:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Please don't make light of our experience.

In what reality are you living?....I'm not sure how that's what you've taken from my post. If you don't like what you're getting for your $79, take your business elsewhere. My post was directed at those who have not taken these courses, who may be scared off by this thread. It's definitely worth dropping $79 even just on the chance you get a good grader.

Where else can you roll the dice on an english course, and in the meantime do unlimited non-assignment courses for that dollar amount per month?...
(11-09-2020, 11:40 PM)ARhead Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 01:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Please don't make light of our experience.

In what reality are you living?....I'm not sure how that's what you've taken from my post. If you don't like what you're getting for your $79, take your business elsewhere. My post was directed at those who have not taken these courses, who may be scared off by this thread. It's definitely worth dropping $79 even just on the chance you get a good grader.

Where else can you roll the dice on an english course, and in the meantime do unlimited non-assignment courses for that dollar amount per month?...

You're rather rude. You edited your post to remove nasty language. I'm done with you. You're dismissed.
I just got an assignment back and I know it was biased. Let me first start by saying that I have gotten 100% on all my other papers. This class was US History II and the assignment was for Immigration. 

This one, I got 100% on nearly all of the sections but 2. The first was where he gave me an 85%. He said that because there was a photo called "Children at Ellis Island", even though it only showed a few kids and a bunch of adults, because the questions asked me to provide 2 events going on at that time that are related to it, which I did - I talked about the Industrial Revolution that brought all the immigrants to the US and Fords car being produced that year, because I didn't talk about kids specifically, he took off points. There is literally nothing in 1908 specifically that I can talk about in regards to children, and again - my topic was immigration. 

The other section I didn't get 100% on was a section where I put what would be considered a "political response", but again - the course was US History and the topic was Immigration. The section was 2 parts and first asked me if there were more than 2 things that led to or resulted from the topic (that I had previously written about in the previous section) that I wanted to talk about and it also asked about how I apply the skills of historical thinking regarding past immigration to my current daily life. So I answered. He gave me 50%! 50% for that section, despite it being just as well worded and long enough and thought out. Not to mention, it wasn't even a searchable section - it is literally "is there anything else I wanted to write about" (sure, which I did) and "how do I apply it to my daily life?" How can he mark that wrong as if I apply it to my daily life wrong??

His feedback was:

Medium
Thank you for your Touchstone on immigration. Some of the answers can benefit from a more consistent engagement with the course tutorials and/or a closer reading of the primary source. 

CONTEXT:
You have a very good beginning to this description. You described the event depicted in the source. The response also sets forth the source's historical context by identifying two historical developments occurring at the same time. The contextual relationship between these events and the source is mostly clear but could be improved with more elaboration in the answer. Although you have drawn connections between the chosen events and the immigration boom in that period, try to use specific evidence to show the relevance of the historical context to the photo of immigrant children in Ellis Island.
*Please tell me where you are going to find historical happenings/facts about children at Ellis Island and what was happening to them in 1908 to write about in this paper??

COMPLEXITY AND REFLECTION:
You provided general reflection on the issue, but this questions requires the identification of additional factors that led to or resulted from this event, and how you determined which events to write about.

Overall this is a good demonstration of thinking like a historian. Thank you for taking US History II!  

So my question is, how do I request someone else grade it or that he never grade it again? I really don't feel like it was graded fairly. I truly believe that he didn't agree with my political opinion on immigration since certain sides feel so polarized on it right now, and so he graded my paper with bias because he didn't like what I had to say. I felt that my paper was well thought out and the Context section was full of fact and I researched everything. I have attached it if anyone wants to see the original. I am sure it may upset some people, too, if you get upset easily based on politics, but I am hoping that you will understand that this is based on FACT and is meant to be MY opinion and how I apply it to MY daily life. That is literally the question, so I shouldn't be penalized for that.

Attached Files
.docx   Misti Teague - US History II Touchstone 4 Template (2.6.24).docx (Size: 19.49 KB / Downloads: 3)
First step is to email a Sophia Learning coach: learningcoach@sophia.org

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 9 204 23 minutes ago
Last Post: allvia
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 749 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,029 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,213 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 278 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 630 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 892 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 868 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 329 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle