Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do I graduate from?
Okay, I am taking my first test on Saturday and I am am starting to question where I should go to school...I am currently registered at Strayer. In order to graduate from Strayer I need to take 12 actual courses at the school, which for Strayer translates to 54 credit hours. I am transfering in over 60 credits from previous schooling and I can CLEP out of enough so that I would only need to take the 12 other actual courses at the school or online through the school...

The problem is that Strayer is expensive and each class costs around $1200.

I have heard a few people talking about Excelsior and a couple of other schools.

Do these schools allow you to get all credits through CLEP or DSST or do you still have to take some actual courses through the school?

If so, then how does the school benefit from you being enrolled if they are not making any money from you paying tuition?

I hope this is not a stupid question. I just don't want to shell out any more money getting this degree done than necessary.

I APPRECIATE ANY ADVISE!!!

Thanks
The schools charge enrollment and graduation fees, which cover the costs of evaluating transfer and examination credits. They have quite low overhead for distance learning students, so the costs work out for everybody. At Excelsior, you can graduate with a Liberal Studies degree entirely by examination except for two requirements -- Information Literacy and Research & Writing. IL is a one-credit online course that you should be able to work through in a few days. The cost is around $300 -- not cheap, but when you consider it in context of the entire degree, it's not that big a deal. R&W is another one-credit course, so about $300 again, and according to the catalog, it revolves around writing one research paper in your major. Everything else can be done with a combination of CLEP, DSST and ECE exams.

If you want a business degree, there is also a three-credit, $900 Business Strategy course.

-Gary-
can you give me a feel for the registration and graduation fees? What are we talking about as far as total costs???

One advantage I have is that my employer pays $5000/year for any education related expenses and that includes CLEP exams, CLEP preparation materials, registration fees, books...anything, but once you go over $5000, you are on your own. I would love to get a business degree...
At TESC, you can get the degree without any classes at all (100% transfer or test or 'life experience'). I'm not quoting, so pls check into it to be certain, but I believe enrollment in the "Per Service" plan is around $1,100 for the year. "Per Service" and "Comprehensive" are the two options:

Per Service: Enrollment whereby you pay on a per credit basis for any classes you take. This would be the way to go if you will be testing out of most (or all) of your subjects.
Comprehensive: A pay one price per year program. It's around $7k (someone jump in if I'm far off) per year and you can take as many classes as you want, up to a limit of xx credits. (I think it's like 36).

As long as you are enrolled in either of the programs when you apply for graduation, you're fine. Graduation cost is about $250.

I realize I approximated all costs that I just wrote about. I believe that I'm close enough to to do your figuring. Certainly, the $5k is enough if you'll be testing out of most or all.

Good luck!
You can't fail if you never give up
[COLOR="blue"]- Some ridiculous Zach Braff movie, but what a cool quote!!

I'm the king of procrastination. I first submitted my app to TESC in 1993. THIS will be the year of my degree completion![/COLOR]

PASSED:
CLEP-Information Systems & Computer Applications: Scored 62; Nov 07
CLEP-Analyzing & Interpreting Literature: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Criminal Justice: Scored 54; Jan 08
DANTES-Fundamentals of College Algebra: Scored 47 (and 47 is the req'd pass score! :eek: ); Jan 08
DANTES-Drug & Alcohol Abuse: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Ethics in America: Scored 55; Feb 08
DANTES-Organizational Behavior: Score 54; Mar 08
DANTES-Technical Writing: Score 58; Mar 08

FELL SHORT OF A PASSING SCORE (I'll never say the 'F' word):
ECE-Organizational Behavior: Score D (but passed DANTES version 2 hours later! Big Grin )
TESC:
Application fee- $75 (which gets you the evaluation as well)
Enrollment fee: if you’re not taking any classes $2300
Registration fee: I forget, I want to say $35
Graduation fee: $225

Per credit hour for non-NJ resident enrolled is $165/credit, so each class is $530 for a 3 credit.

You can transfer in all 120 credits like Excelsior, COSC

Personally, *I* like Edison, but there are limits. I’m only taking one class through them because I’m cheap, their customer service can be bad (if you’re used to dealing with slightly snotty customer service people you’ll be fine), and I liked their degree format better than Excelsior, plus they took my FEMA credits for free, and I have a lot (15, soon to be 16). I like their diploma better, my major requirements are better for me, etc.
However Edison does not take the GRE (for $130 you can get up to 30 credits through the GRE subject tests with Excelsior).

It’s up to what you like best. Most people here like Excelsior better.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
wow - I guess I was off by $1000 on the per service. sorry!
You can't fail if you never give up
[COLOR="blue"]- Some ridiculous Zach Braff movie, but what a cool quote!!

I'm the king of procrastination. I first submitted my app to TESC in 1993. THIS will be the year of my degree completion![/COLOR]

PASSED:
CLEP-Information Systems & Computer Applications: Scored 62; Nov 07
CLEP-Analyzing & Interpreting Literature: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Criminal Justice: Scored 54; Jan 08
DANTES-Fundamentals of College Algebra: Scored 47 (and 47 is the req'd pass score! :eek: ); Jan 08
DANTES-Drug & Alcohol Abuse: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Ethics in America: Scored 55; Feb 08
DANTES-Organizational Behavior: Score 54; Mar 08
DANTES-Technical Writing: Score 58; Mar 08

FELL SHORT OF A PASSING SCORE (I'll never say the 'F' word):
ECE-Organizational Behavior: Score D (but passed DANTES version 2 hours later! Big Grin )
Still a little confused...Do I have to be enrolled in the school while I am testing out? Or can I enroll just before I am ready to graduate?

I would appreciate any further opions of TESC versus Excelsior...thanks
bmills072200 Wrote:Still a little confused...Do I have to be enrolled in the school while I am testing out? No.

I would appreciate any further opions of TESC versus Excelsior...thanks. See Below.

Excelsior College-USNY
Application Fee: $75.00
Tuition: $895.00
Graduation Fee: $495.00
Total: $1465.00 Big Grin

TESC
Application Fee: $75.00
Tuition: $2,300.00
Graduation Fee: $225.00
Total: $2,600.00 :eek:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
bmills072200 Wrote:Still a little confused...Do I have to be enrolled in the school while I am testing out? Or can I enroll just before I am ready to graduate?

I would appreciate any further opions of TESC versus Excelsior...thanks

My opinion only:
Excelsior is cheaper if you are not planning on taking a lot of classes and are transferring in everything- they're $1100 or so less. If you are going to take a lot of physical classes, TESC's credit hour charges are less and they take FEMA for free (it's $60/credit with Excelsior since you have to actually go through Frederick Community College). Excelsior has the Writing 1 credit and Info Lit 1 credit that are $290/credit (you can actually take the Info Lit through another school, I believe Penn Foster, for cheaper but I digress), so that is extra cost. Adding that up, they're about the same.

If both are the same you may want to go with Excelsior (even though I didn't lol). They are MUCH more user-friendly, easier to understand, people here on the boards have posted a ton of Excelsior degree plans to help with what you should take/test out of. They also (if it matters) let you divide your enrollment fee into payments and pay it monthly for a bit, whereas TESC requires the $2300 all at once.

Reasons I went with Edison: I like their diploma much more, my degree (English) was easier for me to complete and I liked it more than Excelsior's Literature in English major, I wanted to have what amounted to a minor in Emergency Mgmt so I have a lot of FEMA classes, the grad schools I want to go to (I'm torn between 3) all said they preferred Edison degrees (no, they didn't really give me a reason). I'm not scared by bad customer service and I just liked the school better itself. But I definitely understand why people say Edison is not for everyone- you'll do fine if you already know what you want to study, want to pay your money and just finish. There's not a lot of handholding at TESC or guidance and they're extremely direct. Oh, and it took 7 weeks to get my evaluation until I complained to the Dean.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,115 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 695 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 204 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 963 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
Shocked Woman charged with faking her own kidnapping because she wasn't going to graduate LevelUP 4 642 05-09-2023, 01:37 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Online Graduate Admitted by Mistake Denied LLM sanantone 0 550 04-06-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  APEI buys Graduate School USA bjcheung77 0 555 01-17-2022, 05:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Man in the Iron Lung Graduate gams007 1 664 06-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap transferable graduate computer science online course credits? nomaduser 4 1,274 04-19-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: davewill