Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which degree route would be best?
When I was 18 and headed off to college many moons ago I majored in Finance because that's what my father told me to do to be the most successful. I h a t e d it and was terrible at those courses but I managed to rack up some business classes above a C. Then I was fortunate enough to take a psych class and I loved it so much that I changed my major. I never finished because I got married and moved (hence why I am now working on this) but for years after I represented my college experience in job interviews as the perfect choice for sales, as someone who is knowledgeable about business and "people". Smile

My advice to my teenage kids is to pursue the degree you love. The advice you have here is correct, most jobs just want the degree.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(09-19-2018, 10:09 AM)jjsafari Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:26 AM)Supermind Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 11:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Why not take both degrees for a bit more money and time?  You can use the BSBA as your "fall back" plan and use your BA Psychology as the degree of choice.  You can have both in the resume when you graduate at the same time for one graduation/residency waiver/cornerstone fee...the only catch is to graduate/finish requirements at the same time.

If you just want one of the degrees, guess what, you can get exactly 90 credits from the BSBA transferred into your BA Psych, or vice versa, the other way around, haha... it just depends what courses you take.  You can prolong your decision by taking the exact courses required.  But my suggestion is, do both as the BSBA is the cheapest/easiest/fastest ACBSP accredited degree!

If I was younger like my cousin, I would have gone with two degrees at the same time, especially when it would cost $1098 for the capstone, $200/2 Study.com courses, $70/extra Study.com exam.   5 Study.com courses would equate to $410 and in total, that second degree would be roughly $1500 (that is if the requirements can all be matched with Study.com, I haven't fully looked into it yet)!
Could you please elaborate a little more on how this double degree process works? Can the same credits be used to fulfill the requirements for two degrees? Are there common subjects for BSBA & BA-Psych.? And do we work on two different capstone projects? How much in excess would I be paying if I opted for the BSBA degree as well?

For a second bachelors you need 24 additional credits. 
For capstones it would likely be 1 business capstone and 1 liberal arts capstone.

Ok Thank you. I don't think I can opt for a WGU MBA as I believe WGU does not serve International students currently.
(09-19-2018, 10:53 AM)originalamyj Wrote: When I was 18 and headed off to college many moons ago I majored in Finance because that's what my father told me to do to be the most successful. I   h a t e d   it and was terrible at those courses but I managed to rack up some business classes above a C.  

My advice to my teenage kids is to pursue the degree you love. The advice you have here is correct, most jobs just want the degree.

This was MY experience, too.  My dad was an accountant and was sure that was the path for me, so off I went to college in 1987 with a declared major of accounting.  That lasted until my first class in accounting.  I was and am a musician and I wanted to be a music major.  I played in the Orchestra and was on a scholarship that paid my tuition if I played in the Orchestra each semester.  I did finish, due to that.  However, my degree ended up being Business Admin and French double major and a music minor.  The thing is, I have only ever needed to check the box that I have a degree.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
I would also ask yourself how much it matters to you to get a job that's related to your degree. My sister majored in Psych. She's spent her entire adult life managing a shoe store -- and she loves it and is good at it. But it isn't directly related to psychology. (Well, I guess you have to understand people in order to sell them things, but it isn't related in the traditional sense.) If that is going to BOTHER you, it's probably a bigger deal to be picky about which degree you pursue than if you don't care.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
I think that the most important thing is to have a plan and minimize risk. There are many people in the world who pick unhappy careers, make a lot of money and then retire happily. If you can take it, this might be a good option. Taking on a lot of debt for a degree with poor job prospects is probably an unacceptable risk, but if you keep costs low, you can make it work. Just save money and invest in low-cost index funds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • a2jc4life
(10-20-2018, 07:44 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that the most important thing is to have a plan and minimize risk.  There are many people in the world who pick unhappy careers, make a lot of money and then retire happily.  If you can take it, this might be a good option.  Taking on a lot of debt for a degree with poor job prospects is probably an unacceptable risk, but if you keep costs low, you can make it work.  Just save money and invest in low-cost index funds.

There is no way in hell I would pick a career that made me unhappy.  That's nuts.  You have 20-30-40 years, 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week doing something you hate?  No thank you.

There is a TON of space in between choosing a low-paying career that you love, and a high-paying one that you hate.  Find something between those 2 things and you're fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life, jsd, sanantone, TexasTink
(10-22-2018, 01:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 07:44 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that the most important thing is to have a plan and minimize risk.  There are many people in the world who pick unhappy careers, make a lot of money and then retire happily.  If you can take it, this might be a good option.  Taking on a lot of debt for a degree with poor job prospects is probably an unacceptable risk, but if you keep costs low, you can make it work.  Just save money and invest in low-cost index funds.

There is no way in hell I would pick a career that made me unhappy.  That's nuts.  You have 20-30-40 years, 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week doing something you hate?  No thank you.

There is a TON of space in between choosing a low-paying career that you love, and a high-paying one that you hate.  Find something between those 2 things and you're fine.

Especially since most people won't retire until they're 70 in the future. I'd hate for my happiest years to be when I'm close to death. 

I always tell people to figure out what they enjoy doing and find jobs that use those skills. Do you like art? Look into graphic design, game design, or web design. Do you like writing? Look into technical or grant writing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life, jsd, TexasTink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,451 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 769 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader