Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about math electives tesu program
Hello everybody and thanks for this wonderful treasure trove of information.

I'm sure this will be better answered by the school itself but I thought there might be somebody who has been in my similar situation.  I am currently working on a plan for the BSBA program at TESU.  I have 3 semesters worth of credits from a civil engineering program at state university I attended but did not graduate.  The program was math intensive and at the time I tested out of college algebra and pre-calc to start right with calc1 and calc2 (however the program did not require algebra you just needed to know it to take calc so I don't have credit).  I have credit for two courses of calculus and was hoping it would be sufficient to cover college algebra gen ed since they are more advanced courses.  If I do need to take the algebra specifically I would like to sign up with ALEKS and bang it out before their ace thing runs out at the end of the month.  Thanks in advance to anybody that can offer advice or assistance!
No. Unfortunately, they require two math courses, all others are going to come in as general education electives.
They need you to have College Algebra and also Statistics course. Get them both at ALEKS and be done with it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You do NOT need College Algebra if you have a higher-level course than that. You do HAVE to take Stats though.

If I were you and could pass them easily, I might take ALEKS Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Precalc, and Stats. If you can pass them all easily, it's totally worth the $20.

Of course, if you can only take 1 before the 8/31 expiration date, take Stats. Then do College Algebra, then Int Alg if there's still time. That way you have all of your bases covered.

They will all work in Gen Ed also, and Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
If you want to be safe, email TESU and review here: http://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/Genera...gement.cfm
The following courses are required for the BSBA degree in General Management and are fulfilled in the General Education section of the degree chart.

College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis within Intellectual and Practical Skills section of General Education requirements.
Statistics within Math section of General Education requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-13-2017, 12:43 PM)will1975 Wrote: Hello everybody and thanks for this wonderful treasure trove of information.

I'm sure this will be better answered by the school itself but I thought there might be somebody who has been in my similar situation.  I am currently working on a plan for the BSBA program at TESU.  I have 3 semesters worth of credits from a civil engineering program at state university I attended but did not graduate.  The program was math intensive and at the time I tested out of college algebra and pre-calc to start right with calc1 and calc2 (however the program did not require algebra you just needed to know it to take calc so I don't have credit).  I have credit for two courses of calculus and was hoping it would be sufficient to cover college algebra gen ed since they are more advanced courses.  If I do need to take the algebra specifically I would like to sign up with ALEKS and bang it out before their ace thing runs out at the end of the month.  Thanks in advance to anybody that can offer advice or assistance!

How did you test out of College Algebra and PreCal at your old school? That might be enough this time too.
Not sure about the OP, but in high school I took math classes all the way through analytic geometry/calculus.  When I started college, I went straight to college calc 1, skipping college algebra & trig/precalc.  Alg/precalc were listed as prerequisites for the college calc, so I'm guessing that, based upon my previous high school calc work, the college waived them, considering the requirements met?  (I didn't have to sit any kind of placement test, and this was 30 yrs ago, so it's a little fuzzy how it was characterized.)
(08-14-2017, 07:10 AM)SolarKat Wrote: Not sure about the OP, but in high school I took math classes all the way through analytic geometry/calculus.  When I started college, I went straight to college calc 1, skipping college algebra & trig/precalc.  Alg/precalc were listed as prerequisites for the college calc, so I'm guessing that, based upon my previous high school calc work, the college waived them, considering the requirements met?  (I didn't have to sit any kind of placement test, and this was 30 yrs ago, so it's a little fuzzy how it was characterized.)

Same for me. I went straight to Calc I as a college freshman without any sort of placement test or anything.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the replies everybody. In high school I had taken algebra 1 and 2, geometry, and pre-calc. In the summer before I was to start college in the fall the school mailed me a placement test to fill out and send back to them. This was back in the dinosaur days when the internet was mainly used for e-mail and the world wide web didn't have pictures. But yeah the kids that struggled/didn't have much experience with math were forced to start in the lower level courses like college algebra or whatever and the ones that did better on the placement test would start with calc I. I did sign up for ALEKS and started to take the college algebra course just in case I did need it but I made the dumb mistake of trying to hurry through the "stupid placement test" so I could go ahead and get into the course I even skipped alot of the answers because I felt they were wasting my time and I just wanted to hurry up and get into the class already. Well as a lot of you are probably thinking... this turned out to be the actual test and when I finished it I had like 47 peices of pie full out of like 500 or something like that. I spent the whole day grinding out another 120 pieces of pie. Much later that night/early morning I came back here to see that according to dfrecore I likely don't need it haha. So now I'm torn between finishing the course just in case or just waiting to see what my credits transfer in as. I thought about using my remaining 29 days of aleks membership to do stats but I'm 99% sure I already took that also but can't remember if I got a high enough score to transfer it. Just logging in and testing out of it is not likely because its been like 20 years since I took it. I have around 75 credits of previous classes taken over the years so I'm probably going to be needing to fulfill the specific classes for certain slots and not likely to need any extra credits to fill elective slots. So lately I have been back to forum lurking and I did apply for the guardian scholarship with study.com so hopefully I can hear from them soon and start banging out the business courses since I know I will need all of those.
(08-14-2017, 11:48 PM)will1975 Wrote: I have around 75 credits of previous classes taken over the years so I'm probably going to be needing to fulfill the specific classes for certain slots and not likely to need any extra credits to fill elective slots. So lately I have been back to forum lurking and I did apply for the guardian scholarship with study.com so hopefully I can hear from them soon and start banging out the business courses since I know I will need all of those.

Honestly, you need to stop what you're doing, and go ahead and get your transcripts sent to you so you can determine what the best fit is (school), and what courses you need. Just taking a bunch of courses is a waste of time with 75cr already completed. You don't even know if TESU is the best choice for your (it probably isn't with that many credits).

Get your transcripts, and post your courses here so we can help you.
BIO 100- biology I with lab                                 4
COS 100- intro to computer                                3
ENG 101- comp I                                                3
SMS 101- intro to marine science                          5
BIO 200- biology II with lab                                 4
COS 250- computing and statistics                        3
ENG 113- writing for sciences                               3
KPE 1xx- contemporary health issues                    .5
GEL 1xx- OS Seminar                                           1
MAT 126- calc I                                                  4
MAT 127- calc II                                                 4
CIE 100- intro to civil and environmental eng         1
CHY 121- chem with lab                                       4
CIE 110- materials                                               3
CIE 111- materials lab                                           1
CIE 101- civil engineering graphics (CAD)                3
CIE 115- computers in civil engineering                    3
ECO 121- principles of macroeconomics                     3
CIE 231- fundamentals environmental engineering   3
MEE 150- applied mechanics: statics                       3
PHY 121- physics with lab               4

The culmination of a year of marine biology and a year and a half of civil engineering.
Now i see the stats course i took was from the computer department so I might still have to take that.

66.5 total credits but i'm not sure what will fit into the right slots and what will be left on the table so to speak.  Look forward to any advice you might have to offer, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,588 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore