Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Modern States Announcement - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Modern States Announcement (/Thread-Modern-States-Announcement)

Pages: 1 2 3

Modern States Announcement - quigongene - 08-08-2017

Got the following in an email from Modern States today.  Seems they're adding courses tomorrow.

Please join us on Wednesday, August 9 at 12:15 p.m. EDT as our founder and CEO, Steve Klinsky, officially unveils "Freshman Year for Free" via Facebook Live. Earlier that morning, we will add new subjects to complete our catalog of 40+ tuition-free online courses that help learners earn credits at more than 2,900 major colleges and universities.

David Vise, our executive director, will also lead a panel discussion on "College Affordability & Alternative Paths to Credit" with our key partners in this initiative: Anant Agarwal, CEO of edX and Emily Paulsen, executive director/CLEP of The College Board.

RE: Modern States Announcement - cookderosa - 08-08-2017

(08-08-2017, 10:07 AM)quigongene Wrote: Got the following in an email from Modern States today.  Seems they're adding courses tomorrow.

Please join us on Wednesday, August 9 at 12:15 p.m. EDT as our founder and CEO, Steve Klinsky, officially unveils "Freshman Year for Free" via Facebook Live. Earlier that morning, we will add new subjects to complete our catalog of 40+ tuition-free online courses that help learners earn credits at more than 2,900 major colleges and universities.

David Vise, our executive director, will also lead a panel discussion on "College Affordability & Alternative Paths to Credit" with our key partners in this initiative: Anant Agarwal, CEO of edX and Emily Paulsen, executive director/CLEP of The College Board.

I got that too! Not sure if I'm going to watch the FB live event, but I'm curious if they're rolling out AP courses now?

RE: Modern States Announcement - sanantone - 08-08-2017

DSST would be nice.

RE: Modern States Announcement - cathgrl - 08-09-2017

(08-08-2017, 11:10 AM)sanantone Wrote: DSST would be nice.

I agree.

RE: Modern States Announcement - Ideas - 08-10-2017

It would be! They advertise how many schools accept their free credit, and DSST is less accepted, so I think it's unlikely Sad

RE: Modern States Announcement - sanantone - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 04:46 AM)Ideas Wrote:

It would be! They advertise how many schools accept their free credit, and DSST is less accepted, so I think it's unlikely Sad

The number of schools might be less, but it's still accepted by almost 2,000 colleges.

RE: Modern States Announcement - cookderosa - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 05:44 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 04:46 AM)Ideas Wrote:

The number of schools might be less, but it's still accepted by almost 2,000 colleges.

I've seen them mention AP many times on their site, but not DSST, so I wonder what they'll do. There certainly are more students who take AP exams each year than DSST, but AP students almost always ALSO take the AP class through their high school. I'm curious to see what they decide.

RE: Modern States Announcement - Collegelady2 - 08-10-2017

So was the announcement yesterday? What was announced?

RE: Modern States Announcement - dfrecore - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 11:40 PM)Collegelady2 Wrote: So was the announcement yesterday? What was announced?

They added a few more CLEP courses, and a bunch of AP courses.

RE: Modern States Announcement - sanantone - 08-11-2017

AP tests aren't easy to take if you aren't in high school, and AP classes are better preparation than anything Modern States can put together. Plus, AP tests are lower level credits, and a lot of them overlap CLEPs. Oh, well. They must have some kind of thing going with College Board.