Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Shmoop GenEd - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Shmoop GenEd (/Thread-Shmoop-GenEd)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Shmoop GenEd - Leonem - 08-21-2017

Which Shmoop courses fulfill TESU GenEd options? Thanks!

RE: Shmoop GenEd - BingCherry - 08-23-2017

All of the literature classes, world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - Thorne - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 01:55 PM)BingCherry Wrote: All of the literature classes,  world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Are the non-lit Gen Ed courses any easier, in your experience, than the LIT courses?

RE: Shmoop GenEd - dfrecore - 08-24-2017

ALL of Shmoop's courses are Gen Ed, except Prealgebra I & II, which are not considered college-level.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - Leonem - 08-24-2017

I. General Education Requirements 60
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)
    Written Communication (6) ------------------------------------
                                                ------------------------------------
    Oral Communication (3) ----------------------------------------
    Quantitative Literacy (3) ---------------------------------------- ALEKS Intermediate Algebra (3)
    Information Literacy (3) -----------------------------------------
B. Knowledge of Human Cultures (9) -------------------------- U.S. History: 1492-1877 (3)
                                                           --------------------------- U.S. History: 1877-Present (3)
                                                           --------------------------- Modern European History (3)
C. Understanding the Physical and Natural World (4-7) --- Introduction to Biology (3) ?
                                                                                        --- Introduction to Physics (3) ?
D. Civic and Global Learning (9)
    Diversity (3) -------------------------------------------------------- World Geography (2)
    Ethics (3) ----------------------------------------------------------- The Institute (2)
    Civic Engagement (3) ------------------------------------------- American National Government (3) OR Comparative Government and Politics (3)
E. Mathematics (3) -------------------------------------------------- ALEKS Statistics (3)
F. General Education Electives (17-20) ------------------------ ALEKS College Algebra (3)
                                                              ------------------------ ALEKS Trigonometry (3)
                                                              ------------------------ Introduction to Film Studies (3)
                                                              ------------------------ Human Sexuality (3)
                                                              ------------------------
                                                              ------------------------    

Any suggestions? Only Shmoop courses, please.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - dfrecore - 08-24-2017

(08-24-2017, 08:34 AM)Leonem Wrote:     Quantitative Literacy (3) ---------------------------------------- ALEKS Beginning Algebra (3)

ALEKS Beginning Algebra is not considered a college-level course at TESU.  So remove that and replace it with Intermediate Algebra.

American National Government and Comparative Government and Politics will both work for Civic Engagement.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - bellbaby - 08-28-2017

I'm new to all the online for credit courses. BUT have been looking at US history 1. The first exam is more than difficult. I'm reviewing as a possibility for my rising high schoolers. I have a history degree and got mostly As and the rest Bs; so I consider myself a pretty good "history test-taker." I have read the content of the first section 2-3 times, and still can't reason out the answers for the test. So you might want to use their free trial or not pay for their college credit tier until you look at some of their tests. ??????

RE: Shmoop GenEd - socsci - 08-29-2017

I think for the price of Shmoop its a good idea to try and get as many credits done as you can. Quite a few literature courses are upper level too, which is great if you decide to go for a BALS.
Some of the testing and courses are not very good, but if you can get through some of the better ones, its a lot of very cheap credits. I managed 10 courses in one month, but it was hard going and I was already familiar with a lot of the literature.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - dfrecore - 08-29-2017

(08-28-2017, 08:24 AM)bellbaby Wrote: I'm new to all the online for credit courses. BUT have been looking at US history 1. The first exam is more than difficult. I'm reviewing as a possibility for my rising high schoolers. I have a history degree and got mostly As and the rest Bs; so I consider myself a pretty good "history test-taker." I have read the content of the first section 2-3 times, and still can't reason out the answers for the test. So you might want to use their free trial or not pay for their college credit tier until you look at some of their tests. ??????

There are a lot of complaints on here about the Shmoop courses.  BUT, it's one of the only ways to get a lot of UL credits if you need them for an English degree at TESU.  And, it's also a very cheap way to get a lot of credits, with the all-you-can-take for $85 in a month.  So, those are probably the main reasons people take them.

They sound horrible to me personally, and I wouldn't take them, nor would I have my kids take them - but for someone who was desperate to get those English/Lit credits, or for someone who really did not have a lot of money to spend, it might be worth it.

For something like US History I, where there are a multitude of ways to get credit, probably not though.

RE: Shmoop GenEd - BingCherry - 09-04-2017

(08-23-2017, 06:19 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:55 PM)BingCherry Wrote: All of the literature classes,  world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Are the non-lit Gen Ed courses any easier, in your experience, than the LIT courses?

YES! By far in my opinion!   A lot of other people would prob say the Lit was easier. It really depends on where your previous experience is.
I did Shakespeare's Plays and Bible as Literature with not many issues (just a LOT of frustration at their test questions!) as I knew both inside and out (I have taught and read both). But, I didn't continue with any other Lit as it was too much for me personally. The non Lit was so much easier for me!(and I use the term easier VERY loosely here, as it is Shmoop after all. HAHA) I got quite a few done for my gen eds.