Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question (/Thread-TESU-Phys-Nat-World-Class-options-and-extra-credit-question)

Pages: 1 2

TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Gymfan15 - 08-22-2017

Hello!

So I had a 3cr Intro to Biology class that transfered into TESU, so I'm still in need of one credit to fulfill my PHys/Nat World requirement. I believe I am correct in assuming that I can take any class from the Science section in Study.com and it'll count into there, right?

https://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html#transferTab

Also, does anyone know if SL's HEA classes (Medical Terminology or CPR) would possibly transfer in as either a Phys/Nat class or Gen Ed?

http://www.straighterline.com/colleges/thomas-edison-state-university/course-equivalency/

My last question is, since I only need one more credit in that section, if I take a class just to fulfill that requirement, will I "lose" the other two credits or will they be applied towards my Gen Eds? Right now I'm counting my classes like I'll basically lose the credits, but if I don't, I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly.

And before you suggest just taking a 1cr lab, that'll take to long, and no, I don't want to take a math class instead. I hate math. :p

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - dfrecore - 08-22-2017

If you take a 3cr course, and it's more than you need in an area of Gen Ed, the remaining credits get bumped down to Gen Ed Electives.

No, HEA courses won't count. You need Nat Sci like Bio, Environmental Sci, Chem, Physics, Astronomy, etc. Or a lab for any of those.

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Gymfan15 - 08-23-2017

Cool, thanks. Does anyone know of any 1cr Gen Ed courses out there? I know there's Sophia's free course but I feel like that would be a Free, not Gen. But if I can knock one class off my list, that would be awesome!

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - dfrecore - 08-24-2017

Getting a 1cr course probably isn't as important as how much you pay for a course. IMHO.

If you don't have a Business Ethics course (PHI-384), then the free Insurance Ethics course will work.

The free TEEX Cybersecurity for Business Professionals course comes in as CIS-344 (or CIS-244?) and will work in the science area (or Gen Ed Electives if you don't need it in science).

The ALEKS courses come in as Gen Ed, $20 for a month.

A bunch of the Saylor courses will come in as Gen Ed.

Most of the Shmoop courses will come in as Gen Ed.

The rest of the free courses are all Free Electives unless you're a busines major, then they will fit into the AOS - but still not Free Electives.

Any science lab is a 1cr course, but they're normally more expensive than a 3cr course.

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Gymfan15 - 08-24-2017

(08-24-2017, 12:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Getting a 1cr course probably isn't as important as how much you pay for a course. IMHO.

If you don't have a Business Ethics course (PHI-384), then the free Insurance Ethics course will work.

The free TEEX Cybersecurity for Business Professionals course comes in as CIS-344 (or CIS-244?) and will work in the science area (or Gen Ed Electives if you don't need it in science).

The rest of the free courses are all Free Electives unless you're a busines major, then they will fit into the AOS - but still not Free Electives.

Any science lab is a 1cr course, but they're normally more expensive than a 3cr course.
Just to make sure I understand correctly; I don't have a science area; do you mean the Phys/Nat World area? I can use the TEEX there? I haven't taken that course yet. I did take the free Insurance Ethics course to fill my Ethics requirement so that one is already used.

Thanks. At this point I'm going for speed over cost (within reason) so I will probably just take an easy Study.com/SL course to finish it up.

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - dfrecore - 08-24-2017

(08-24-2017, 09:43 AM)Gymfan15 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Getting a 1cr course probably isn't as important as how much you pay for a course. IMHO.

Just to make sure I understand correctly; I don't have a science area; do you mean the Phys/Nat World area? I can use the TEEX there?

Yes - this area includes Natural Science and Computer Science.

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Gymfan15 - 08-24-2017

Awesome, thanks! I didn't think I would be able to use the TEEX courses because I thought it was only a free elective, but this is good! Free is always better. Big Grin

(08-24-2017, 11:36 AM)Gymfan15 Wrote: Awesome, thanks! I didn't think I would be able to use the TEEX courses because I thought it was only a free elective, but this is good! Free is always better. Big Grin

You can only use ONE of the TEEX courses here, the other 2 are Free Electives.

Ahh I gotcha now. That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

RE: TESU Phys/Nat World: Class options and extra credit question - Silly_Me - 08-25-2017

Just so I understand.... Are you guys saying the free TEEX course will work in the general education slot for understanding the physical and natural world? I'm a biology major, so I don't have any "free" electives. Because of that, I haven't bothered with the free courses. But, if the TEEX cyber security course *will* fit into that particular general education slot, then count me in! (Thanks for the clarification on this.)