Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! (/Thread-World-Geography-only-2-credits-FRUSTRATING)

World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - CollegeKid - 08-23-2017

World Geography from Shmoop transferred into TESU as only a two credit course!!

That leaves me ONE credit short now.... Nooooooo!!!!

Anyone else have experience with this? Is there another way to transfer it in besides going to COG-230?

I also have other things that need changing on my academic evaluation. Is it better to schedule an advising appointment or send an email?

(attachment is screen shot that shows how it came into my academic eval)

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - BingCherry - 08-23-2017

I didn't notice that until you said that and I went and looked.. Yep. 2 credits! Wow. That's why I needed only 1 credit, and I never could figure out why. I did the shmoop human sexuality for my last 1 credit.

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - Silly_Me - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 12:40 PM)BingCherry Wrote: I didn't notice that until you said that and I went and looked.. Yep. 2 credits! Wow. That's why I needed only 1 credit, and I never could figure out why. I did the shmoop human sexuality for my last 1 credit.

Wait... So, you only got 1 credit for Human Sexuality?  Yikes.  I took a ton of Shmoop courses, and now I'm curious to see how they all work out on my transcript.  I had taken the World Geography course in order to fulfill the "diversity" course.  Will they waive that additional credit?  I know I'll have to make it up elsewhere, but I'd rather not have to take another "diversity" course.

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - BingCherry - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 01:28 PM)Silly_Me Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 12:40 PM)BingCherry Wrote: I didn't notice that until you said that and I went and looked.. Yep. 2 credits! Wow. That's why I needed only 1 credit, and I never could figure out why. I did the shmoop human sexuality for my last 1 credit.

Wait... So, you only got 1 credit for Human Sexuality?  Yikes.  I took a ton of Shmoop courses, and now I'm curious to see how they all work out on my transcript.  I had taken the World Geography course in order to fulfill the "diversity" course.  Will they waive that additional credit?  I know I'll have to make it up elsewhere, but I'd rather not have to take another "diversity" course.

Oh, I mean it was covering my last one credit "slot". They still haven't added it yet to my evaluation so i will let y'all know how many credits it comes in as.

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - swalke321 - 08-23-2017

Smoop World Geography is recommended for 2 credits by ACE.  Human Sexuality is recommended for 3 credits by ACE.  Not all ACE recommended courses are 3 credits.

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - CollegeKid - 08-23-2017

It really makes no sense that World Geography only 2 credits. It was just as long and hard as the other courses on Shmoop!!

There have been a lot of posts about how the Shmoop courses transfer to TESU, but not about how many credits. I was assuming that they were all 3! We should be posting the number of credits next to the equivalences so others don't have to go through this. It's super frustrating!

Do any of you think that it could possibly change?!? Is it worth asking someone at TESU?

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - Silly_Me - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 06:14 PM)CollegeKid Wrote: It really makes no sense that World Geography only 2 credits. It was just as long and hard as the other courses on Shmoop!!

There have been a lot of posts about how the Shmoop courses transfer to TESU, but not about how many credits. I was assuming that they were all 3! We should be posting the number of credits next to the equivalences so others don't have to go through this. It's super frustrating!

Do any of you think that it could possibly change?!? Is it worth asking someone at TESU?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised, too.  That World Geography course was no joke!

RE: World Geography... only 2 credits?!? FRUSTRATING!!!!!! - dfrecore - 08-24-2017

There are a bunch of Shmoop courses that are only 2cr. At least 6 that I know of (most math).

(08-23-2017, 06:14 PM)CollegeKid Wrote: It really makes no sense that World Geography only 2 credits. It was just as long and hard as the other courses on Shmoop!!

Go ahead and post how many credits something is worth if you want, but asking everyone to do that on a forum where everyone gives their advice and info for free is asking a lot.

It's actually easier for each person to go in and double-check the credits before they take a course.  That's what I do.  I don't 100% count on the info I get here, I also do my own research, and take responsibility for my own degree.

And no, TESU won't be changing it.  ACE evaluated it at 2cr, so that's what TESU will give you.

(08-23-2017, 01:28 PM)Silly_Me Wrote: I took a ton of Shmoop courses, and now I'm curious to see how they all work out on my transcript.  I had taken the World Geography course in order to fulfill the "diversity" course.  Will they waive that additional credit?  I know I'll have to make it up elsewhere, but I'd rather not have to take another "diversity" course.

Just go onto ACE and see what all of the courses come in as credit-wise.

And yes, TESU will waive the 1cr of diversity, you'll just have to make it up in Gen Ed Electives.  Same with the free Insurance Ethics course (it's 2cr as well).