Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
False Alarm: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: False Alarm: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? (/Thread-False-Alarm-DSST-no-longer-available-to-civilians-Military-personnel-with-CAC-only)

False Alarm: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? - coughcool - 10-17-2017

I was just about to sign up for a few tests when I was startled to read the following:

"At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center."

"Please note: Prometric sites are currently only able to offer Principles of Supervision, Computing and Information Technology, Ethics in America, Health & Human Development, Introduction to Business, Introduction to World Religions and Substance Abuse. We are exploring opportunities to expand this offering in the near future."

"Identification Requirements

Military service members need to provide their Common Access Card (CAC) and one valid government–issued identification card at the time of check in. You will not be able to sit for the exam without providing the CAC. "

No mention of civilian options anywhere.

I proceeded to check Prometric's press releases and FAQs, then to google up any info on what might have changed since I last took one of these exams only to find absolutely nothing confirming or even acknowledging this change.

Can anyone else confirm what is going on here?

To recreate this, just head over to prometric.com and attempt to schedule an exam. Is this just in my neighborhood or what?

Seriously perplexed over here.

RE: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? - sanantone - 10-17-2017

(10-17-2017, 09:41 PM)coughcool Wrote: I was just about to sign up for a few tests when I was startled to read the following:

"At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center."

"Please note: Prometric sites are currently only able to offer Principles of Supervision, Computing and Information Technology, Ethics in America, Health & Human Development, Introduction to Business, Introduction to World Religions and Substance Abuse. We are exploring opportunities to expand this offering in the near future."

"Identification Requirements

Military service members need to provide their Common Access Card (CAC) and one valid government–issued identification card at the time of check in. You will not be able to sit for the exam without providing the CAC. "

No mention of civilian options anywhere.

I proceeded to check Prometric's press releases and FAQs, then to google up any info on what might have changed since I last took one of these exams only to find absolutely nothing confirming or even acknowledging this change.

Can anyone else confirm what is going on here?

To recreate this, just head over to prometric.com and attempt to schedule an exam. Is this just in my neighborhood or what?

Seriously perplexed over here.

Most people take DSSTs at colleges and universities.

http://getcollegecredit.com/institutions/search/

RE: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? - dfrecore - 10-17-2017

Yeah, DSST's aren't normally taken at Prometric, they're taken at college testing centers. You were just looking at the wrong website.

RE: DSST no longer available to civilians? Military personnel with CAC only? - coughcool - 10-17-2017

(10-17-2017, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yeah, DSST's aren't normally taken at Prometric, they're taken at college testing centers.  You were just looking at the wrong website.

Thanks guys, I have it sorted out now. I was using the correct site, it's all at prometric.com, but the only location available in my area is a Prometric center. It was initially confusing since its located at what looks and sounds like a college but is in fact not.

Maybe these exams are only offered at Prometric sites internationally. Sorry I didn't mention I'm looking outside of North America.
Fortunately I can still take the same subjects via CLEP.

Thanks again for the sanity check.