Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
NA degree and other countries? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: NA degree and other countries? (/Thread-NA-degree-and-other-countries)

Pages: 1 2

NA degree and other countries? - Ideas - 12-13-2017

Would anyone know if NA degrees are recognized by Canada, Australia, New Zealand, EU countries, or other European countries?

I would guess mostly no, so I'm worried that if I do the NA degree and move abroad, that my degree will just be a fancy piece of paper. So I wonder if I should skip the planned NA degree Sad

Even if they recognize it, would it be considered low-quality and iffy? And they would doubt I had the knowledge of the other applicants?

RE: NA degree and other countries? - posabsolute - 12-14-2017

Your mileage may vary?

Canada is much smaller than the US market, in Canada even private universities are a strange concept that isn't well known by the population. I did have a look before, the general idea here is that RA is accepted, NA is mostly case by case. That being said, most Canadians have no concept at all about how the academic system works in the US and will not see the difference between RA and NA.

In terms of finding a job, I don't think it will be an issue, unless
1. Want to study in a Canadian university
2. You want to work for the government.
3. Be a teacher
4. Your work legally fall under an association (Engineering, nursing, etc)

You probably don't want to hear it, but you should probably get an RA degree if possible.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - Ideas - 12-14-2017

Thanks! I wouldn't want to study or be a teacher, nurse, etc.

I'm not sure if pastoral counseling falls under an association or not. I guess I should mention I'm asking regarding the Master of Theological Studies degree.

It seems that in the U.S., NA degrees are more accepted when it's for that field -- or some of the NA degrees. I think it's when the program has ABHE accreditation despite not having RA? It was explained a little to me before, but I don't remember the details.

Pastoral counseling requirements in the U.S. vary so much from state to state, so I bet it might vary from province to province.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - sanantone - 12-14-2017

According to Johann, NA degrees aren't recognized in the UK or something to that effect.

Is pastoral counseling even regulated? Is it even constitutional to regulate it? I've seen voluntary certifications. If you cross the line by charging and going beyond spiritual counseling, you'll need an LPC, LMHC, or LMFT just like anyone else, and a regular MDIV or masters in theology will not qualify you.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - Ideas - 12-14-2017

Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Yeah, I'm not willing to get an LPC or other state license. I researched it all for the U.S. and felt confident in the M.T.S. for most states where I might live, but now I'm thinking of moving abroad years from now.

(12-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Yeah, I'm not willing to get an LPC or other state license. I researched it all for the U.S. and felt confident in the M.T.S. for most states where I might live, but now I'm thinking of moving abroad years from now.

Which states license pastoral counselors?

Edit: I answered my own question. There are six states with the license. Only one or two look desirable, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - a4tunatemom - 12-14-2017

(12-14-2017, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Edit: I answered my own question. There are six states with the license. Only one or two look desirable, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.
If you don't mind my asking, what were the six states and which ones were the most desirable?

(12-14-2017, 10:23 PM)a4tunatemom Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what were the six states and which ones were the most desirable?

Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I would only want to live in North Carolina. New Hampshire might be alright, but it's not very diverse, and they have that opioid problem.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - Ideas - 12-15-2017

I believe there are more than 6 now. Rhode Island? I forget.

RE: NA degree and other countries? - AJ_Atlanta - 12-17-2017

An NA degree is in fact a legal degree according to the USA, I would not expect many to make any distinction unless it is a highly selective field and the HR department needs a quick and dirty way to reduce the amount of applicants.

I don't know about every other country, but I have worked in the US for a long time and with many F500 companies and I can safely say most HR departments don't care at all. In fact most put nearly zero effort into screening or even verifying before forwarding me the applicants (as the hiring management).

P.S. Anyone here studying HR, go for it - you will no doubt be able to do better than most