Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com (/Thread-Question-About-Non-Accredited-Classes-on-Study-com)

Pages: 1 2

Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - jamshid666 - 12-14-2017

This might be a bit odd to ask, but I'm really enjoying these classes on Study.com to the point that I've even been watching some of the classes that have not been accredited by ACE or NCCRS.  Now, I know that Study.com submits new or updated courses to ACE and NCCRS in an attempt to get more classes accredited.  So, if you happen to finish an unaccredited class that later becomes accredited, would it immediately pop up in your exam availability box?  If a class gets updated with new material, would it switch from the Completed Courses to Enrolled Courses or would you have no way of knowing that something got updated without going through and manually checking?  I should probably submit a ticket through the support system to get answers to these questions, but it seemed like something fun to ponder over and maybe get a group discussion on in case there are any other like-minded souls out there.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - High_Order1 - 12-20-2017

I'm sorry you've gotten no response.

You pose an interesting thought; clearly it has happened, no? (I haven't availed myself of study.com just yet, but that changes today...)

The only pitfall I foresee is having to take a test on a course you may have completed up to a year prior (surely, there will be a cutoff).

cheers

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - dfrecore - 12-20-2017

I'm not sure of the answer, but I was thinking the same thing as High_Order1: who knows when the course will get ACE or NCCRS approved, it could be months and months (or years) in the future, in which case it might be difficult to pass the final exam at that point (it would for me). And, it could be never.

I personally wouldn't count on this, even for courses that Study.com has said are in the pipeline. They said they would be putting out Intermediate Accounting I & II many months ago, as well as Ethics in the Social Sciences, and Physiological Psychology. I'm not mad at them for not getting these courses out sooner, but I'm glad I wasn't waiting for them to get approved so I could take them. That would be a bummer.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - bjcheung77 - 12-20-2017

I'm looking forward to your question/answers and feedback you get from Study.com Support. There are a few courses from Study.com that I want to take and they do not have ACE or NCCRS recommendation yet.

Mainly for personal enrichment, but if credit does come from it at a later date, I want to get "credit" for the time/work I place into it... even if it means doing "more" work within the course, such as extra quiz/assignment/project or another final.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - keepsingin - 12-20-2017

(12-20-2017, 12:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I'm looking forward to your question/answers and feedback you get from Study.com Support. There are a few courses from Study.com that I want to take and they do not have ACE or NCCRS recommendation yet.

Mainly for personal enrichment, but if credit does come from it at a later date, I want to get "credit" for the time/work I place into it... even if it means doing "more" work within the course, such as extra quiz/assignment/project or another final.

I don't see any reason why one would lose progress made unless the course content is radically changed to meet ACE requirements. Example: after I took 4 accounting courses through Study, there was a good chunk of another course (ACC 303) completed because of overlap; but at the time ACC-303 was not ACE-approved. After it became approved for credit, my course progress and grades displayed the same as before in ACC-303, although they had added project(s) and a final exam to it.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - Study.com - 12-20-2017

Hi All,

These are good questions! We'll be publishing new ACE recommended courses in the next few days, so please be on the lookout! As for completing a course that later gets credit recommended: Your course progress will remain completed, and the exam should show up if the course is complete. If we ever change a course, all your previously completed lessons will remain completed. If you have completed 90% of the course, we would grandfather you in and unlock the final exam. Hopefully this helps answer these questions!

Best,
The Study.com Team

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - Rf10 - 12-22-2017

(12-20-2017, 06:08 PM)Study.com Wrote: Hi All,

These are good questions! We'll be publishing new ACE recommended courses in the next few days, so please be on the lookout! As for completing a course that later gets credit recommended: Your course progress will remain completed, and the exam should show up if the course is complete. If we ever change a course, all your previously completed lessons will remain completed. If you have completed 90% of the course, we would grandfather you in and unlock the final exam. Hopefully this helps answer these questions!

Best,
The Study.com Team

Do you know if Intermediate Accounting 2 will be one of the courses that will be ACE recommended?

Thanks.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - Lewis.Yim - 12-22-2017

Or the Fedreal Income Tax courses... I guess we will find out in the next few days, most likely after New Year. Just can’t wait to check the UL course offerings.

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - Study.com - 12-22-2017

Hi All,

Please check out our site: https://study.com/academy/college-accelerator-hub/what-is-ace-why-accreditation-matters.html
We've posted our new ACE recommended courses! There is a new Intermediate Accounting course on there.

Best,
The Study.com Team

RE: Question About Non-Accredited Classes on Study.com - jsd - 12-22-2017

I really wish Hist/Sys of Pysch was available through you when i was wrapping up my psychology degree! nice to see that option available.