Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Multiple Degrees from Same School - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Multiple Degrees from Same School (/Thread-Multiple-Degrees-from-Same-School)

Multiple Degrees from Same School - quigongene - 12-15-2017

Most of this depends on how I feel after getting said degrees and my situation at the time, but I'm thinking the following (and work is good with paying for it):

BS Cybersecurity (WGU or Hodges).
MSCSIA (WGU) or MIS-CS (Hodges).
MBA-ITM (WGU) or MBA-IT (Patten).

My question is, would it look odd to an employer to receive all 3 degrees from WGU if I went that route?

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - quigongene - 12-15-2017

To answer my own question (after Googling): It depends.

Most businesses won't care, but some schools might if I decide I want to teach.

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - Ideas - 12-15-2017

I'm surprised some would care. Especially for teaching. Did it say why?

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - sanantone - 12-15-2017

Traditional schools don't hire their own graduates because it leads to academic inbreeding. They want new ideas to be brought in from elsewhere. This concept gets applied to students who earn their bachelors and PhD from the same school.

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - RANSOMSOUL - 12-15-2017

I can totally understand a schools position with inbreeding - what makes this tough is the young BA/BS student getting into their dream school and later in life needing to select their second or third options for a Masters / Ph.D. Or finding a dream option for your undergraduate degree and looking at them as a bad option, even at a great value for their Masters / PhD. Seems a bit backward in theory but there are plenty of options to navigate through these parameters.

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - dfrecore - 12-15-2017

It is VERY common in academia to want degrees from different schools, but regular employers don't care at all.

I have a friend who's daughter wants to be a research scientist and professor, she already has been told not to get her BA, MA, and PhD from the same schools.

Her second daughter wants to be a speech-pathologist, and many of the schools that have that major have a combined BA/MA program that you complete in 5 years. Obviously, they don't care that she's getting her degrees from the same school. These types of degrees are also common in Engineering, and I'm sure there are more like that.

RE: Multiple Degrees from Same School - videogamesrock - 12-16-2017

(12-15-2017, 02:22 PM)quigongene Wrote: Most of this depends on how I feel after getting said degrees and my situation at the time, but I'm thinking the following (and work is good with paying for it):

BS Cybersecurity (WGU or Hodges).
MSCSIA (WGU) or MIS-CS (Hodges).
MBA-ITM (WGU) or MBA-IT (Patten).

My question is, would it look odd to an employer to receive all 3 degrees from WGU if I went that route?

Employers don't care where you went to school and many don't care what your major is. Many don't even verify if your degree actually exists.