Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEP English Composition I
Is the availability period for a registered TECEP 1 month or 3 months?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prepare for the TECEP English Composition I? The content guide mentions use of Harbrace Handbook, but does not supply much info in terms of sample questions or suggested preparation.
laughter Wrote:Is the availability period for a registered TECEP 1 month or 3 months?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prepare for the TECEP English Composition I? The content guide mentions use of Harbrace Handbook, but does not supply much info in terms of sample questions or suggested preparation.

I think most of the users of the site have or will take the CLEP instead since it is around the same price and grants six credits instead of three (credit for both ENC-101 & ENC-102 at TESC). To study you might try looking for resources for the CLEP including the CLEP study guide that shows both multiple-choice answers and has sample essays. Other than that, TESC has a nice list of free resources to consider as well (see page two of this: http://www.tesc.edu/degree-completion/do..._tecep.pdf).

On your other question, it should be three months as TESC assigns it a date just like a traditional course.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Thanks for the link! I guess I've seen it somewhere before but forgotten all about it. :p I have not taken a CLEP before... would this (http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloa...-guide.pdf) be the relevant CLEP study guide?
My recommendations for ENC101 study are included in the post linked below. The handbook is a writing style and grammar guide. You can actually use any English 101 textbook for that but if you purchase the text get an older, CHEAPER version (noted below). You can take both the handbook and a dictionary with you to your testing center. I would also print out a copy of the test description to be sure your proctor is aware you can use both books as exam aids.

Just an FYI, both this exam and ENC102 have a reputation for being easily doable. If you are using PPC tuition plan I highly recommend both. Good luck!

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post172385

Also, https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/737/01/ and https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/

Recommended book(s). IMO, a good reference manual should be kept on the bookshelf.
The Writer's Harbrace Handbook, 4th Ed (2009). Cheryl Glenn.
ISBN-13: 978-1428230224
Amazon - currently $5 shipped for a like new used copy. Amazon.com: The Writer's Harbrace Handbook (9781428230224): Cheryl Glenn, Loretta Gray: Books

As an alternate. This is the basic writing text I use; I love it and always keep it handy!
A Writer's Reference with 2009 MLA and 2010 APA Updates, 6th Ed (2010). Diane Hacker.
ISBN-13: 978-0312664763
Amazon - currently $7 shipped for a VG used copy.
Amazon.com: A Writer's Reference with 2009 MLA and 2010 APA Updates (9780312664763): Diana Hacker: Books

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks for the tips bricabrac! All TECEPs except for English Composition II can be taken via ProctorU, is that correct? I remember seeing that somewhere, but am unable to trace it on TESC's webpage.
laughter Wrote:All TECEPs except for English Composition II can be taken via ProctorU, is that correct? I remember seeing that somewhere, but am unable to trace it on TESC's webpage.

You're welcome!

To you question on ProctorU, I have no idea; shoot the testing office a ticket through helpdesk.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I thought I had read that one of the English TECEPs couldn't be taken on ProctorU, but I just checked the Proctor U portal and Engl 101 and 201 (tech writing) are listed as selections that you can take.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
defscarlett Wrote:I thought I had read that one of the English TECEPs couldn't be taken on ProctorU, but I just checked the Proctor U portal and Engl 101 and 201 (tech writing) are listed as selections that you can take.

I'm taking English Comp II TECEP in September and it has to be paper/pen format with an approved proctor. I called the local library and filled out TESC's electronic proctor approval form. TESC emailed me the next day with the acceptance of the proctor.
laughter Wrote:Is the availability period for a registered TECEP 1 month or 3 months?

Laughter, I took both the TECEP English Composition 1 and 2 exams. If you are still in need of a some kind of guide for the exam, send me a PM with your email.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Saharapost Wrote:Laughter, I took both the TECEP English Composition 1 and 2 exams. If you are still in need of a some kind of guide for the exam, send me a PM with your email.
Okay, will do. Smile

Hunter91 Wrote:I'm taking English Comp II TECEP in September and it has to be paper/pen format with an approved proctor. I called the local library and filled out TESC's electronic proctor approval form. TESC emailed me the next day with the acceptance of the proctor.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if they're considering switching it to online, too...

defscarlett Wrote:I thought I had read that one of the English TECEPs couldn't be taken on ProctorU, but I just checked the Proctor U portal and Engl 101 and 201 (tech writing) are listed as selections that you can take.
How do I access ProctorU's portal?

bricabrac Wrote:To you question on ProctorU, I have no idea; shoot the testing office a ticket through helpdesk.
Okay, thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,751 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,782 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,019 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,188 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,832 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,746 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,739 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,245 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,914 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,548 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew