Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC Gen Ed Skills/Knowledge Waiver Request
So I hadn't found much detailed information on the forum about the waiver process at COSC, I also wasn't aware it could be for things other than Oral Communication.

Documentation of General Education Skills/Knowledge Waiver Request Form

I would like to demonstrate, in lieu of taking a course, the skill/knowledge for one of the general education requirements listed below. Check the one that applies. (cannot be used for the English composition or math requirement).
  • Oral Communication (Speech)
  • Information Literacy
  • Ethical Decision Making
  • Other ___________

I have attached documentation to support my request. (Documentation may include course syllabi from a successfully completed relevant course(s), certifications earned, validated job descriptions, etc.)

I understand that this waiver is for fulfilling a general education requirement only. (The English composition and math requirements cannot be waived.) It does not waive credits. A waiver of a requirement does not change the total number of credits required for the associate or bachelor degrees. All other graduation requirement must be met.

**The rest of the DOC was name, ID, Signature fields.**
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Along with the above request form I was also sent:

Waiver Request Guidance

Along with the waiver application form, include a letter addressed to the Provost. In the letter you will state that you are requesting a waiver and provide an explanation or description of why you believe you qualify for the waiver (for example your experience as a presenter, you attend ethics courses annually). In addition to the form and the letter, you are expected to provide documentation to support your waiver request.

The supporting documentation can be:
a) sample presentations with descriptions of the audiences that you have presented to including information about frequency and volume (i.e., I conducted twenty training sessions over the course of two years introducing accounting managers to new Sarbanes Oxley regulations and reporting; class sizes ranged from 5 to twenty students.)
OR
b) course descriptions and syllabi of the training you attend for corporate ethics
OR
c) Membership in Toastmasters, or ethics committees or other relevant experience
AND
d) letter from supervisor on company letterhead or other authorized person familiar with the speaking experience you have that can vouch for your capabilities (for example the leader of your local chapter of Toastmasters).

To Re-cap -- The waiver request packet should include:
Completed and signed Application for Waiver Form (Required)
Letter to Provost requesting waiver (Required)
Supporting documentation demonstrating proficiency (Required)
Signed letter from Supervisor or other appropriate reference to corroborate expertise (Required)
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I thought the "Information Literacy" requirement was fulfilled by the Cornerstone. Do they let you waive that....?
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Devanna Wrote:I thought the "Information Literacy" requirement was fulfilled by the Cornerstone. Do they let you waive that....?

If i'm not mistaken, Information Literacy is fulfilled by taking any online course, is it not?

ETA: From COSC website:

Information Literacy (1-3 credits)Students will be able to locate, evaluate, synthesize and use information from a variety of sources and understand the ethical issues involved in accessing and using information. This requirement is satisfied by the Cornerstone Seminar and/or the Capstone course

I think if you can prove you learned those skills in another course, you can bypass that particular requirement. I imagine they still make you take the Corner/Capstone, though.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium Wrote:I think if you can prove you learned those skills in another course, you can bypass that particular requirement. I imagine they still make you take the Corner/Capstone, though.

It seems like if you had to take the Cornerstone and Capstone anyway, it would be a waste of time to try to get a waiver for Information Literacy.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Tedium Wrote:If i'm not mistaken, Information Literacy is fulfilled by taking any online course, is it not?

ETA: From COSC website:

Information Literacy (1-3 credits)Students will be able to locate, evaluate, synthesize and use information from a variety of sources and understand the ethical issues involved in accessing and using information. This requirement is satisfied by the Cornerstone Seminar and/or the Capstone course

I think if you can prove you learned those skills in another course, you can bypass that particular requirement. I imagine they still make you take the Corner/Capstone, though.

Yeah, that's why it just seems weird for them to waive it. I was under the impression that "Information Literacy" was just an excuse to offer the Cornerstone (that's what it seems like, lol).
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I'm also curious what you can attempt under the "other" category. Seems like if you were trying to claim credit for anything else they would want you to do a portfolio assessment.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
On a more related note, I just got notification that my waiver request for Oral Communication was approved!!!
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I've updated the degreeforum wikia to reflect this information and linked it to this thread. I wish I had known this before taking that exam, but your advice will definitely be useful for future students.
Can you use this waiver for Charter oak capstone requirement: "Strategic Management" ? i've already taken this course with Penn foster? if i provide that i'm proficient in this area, can this also be a class thats waived?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider LevelUP 13 7,323 01-21-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway? studyingfortests 4 431 12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching Theoretical Knowledge Verses Practical Skills In College LevelUP 2 1,486 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need? Vle045 8 855 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New BSW From COSC Alpha 30 2,739 05-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Last Post: louise
  100,000 Borrowers Now Qualify for Student Loan Forgiveness Under Pslf Waiver LevelUP 0 757 03-13-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Opinions…. Do you request a name change? Vle045 8 939 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Should I go for COSC BS Health Studies or TESU BA Psych? mcorye91 15 2,185 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: mcorye91
  How do I improve my writing skills? ab10365 20 2,816 09-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  COSC Waiver, Study.com Referral, other discounts bjcheung77 1 1,057 07-14-2020, 04:33 AM
Last Post: Merlin