Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken Introduction To Critical Reasoning - TECEP?
If you took the Introduction To Critical Reasoning TECEP, what did you use to study?

TESC links to this free online course https://sites.google.com/a/courses.tesc....oning/home. Has anyone used it and found it did a good job of preparing you for the test?
This is a very new test. I don't think many people have had the chance yet to take it.
I will be taking this TECEP in order to fulfill the TESC residency requirement. After reviewing the five modules that have been prepared by TESC, I am not looking forward to the exam. I noticed several errors in the prep material. Some were grammatical and others were not. Typically, I can look the other way for grammar, but when you are dealing with things like logic, it is pretty important that the material be unambiguous and error free. I hope this is not an indication of the quality of the exam itself.

I'll reply to this thread in about a week, after I take the exam. I do have prior knowledge of logical fallacies, arguments, syllogisms, etc. so this material is not new to me (the reason I selected this exam in the first place). I hate to think that I'm the guinea pig, but let's do it!
Outis Wrote:I will be taking this TECEP in order to fulfill the TESC residency requirement. After reviewing the five modules that have been prepared by TESC, I am not looking forward to the exam. I noticed several errors in the prep material. Some were grammatical and others were not. Typically, I can look the other way for grammar, but when you are dealing with things like logic, it is pretty important that the material be unambiguous and error free. I hope this is not an indication of the quality of the exam itself.

I'll reply to this thread in about a week, after I take the exam. I do have prior knowledge of logical fallacies, arguments, syllogisms, etc. so this material is not new to me (the reason I selected this exam in the first place). I hate to think that I'm the guinea pig, but let's do it!
Thanks very much! Unfortunate about the materials. I'll be looking forward to your update!
null null null
Kones Wrote:Thanks very much! Unfortunate about the materials. I'll be looking forward to your update!

Overall, I would say the TECEP follows very closely with what is indicated on the syllabus. Using the free resource here should set you up to pass the course (although I do have complaints about it myself).

The 30 multiple choice questions: consist of questions concerning the definitions of critical reasoning, independent thinking, informed decision making, and the elements of arguments (sections 1 and 2 of the syllabus)

The 10 matching questions: will consist of logical fallacies, so if you are familiar with the ten listed in section 3 of the syllabus, you are good to go.

The two essays are fairly explanatory: you will create a valid argument in one essay, and critique an argument in the second.
(04-21-2015, 09:24 PM)Outis Wrote: The two essays are fairly explanatory: you will create a valid argument in one essay, and critique an argument in the second.

I'm not sure if you're still around (or maybe someone else is, who has now also taken this exam?), but just in case...did you find the first essay difficult to do without accessing outside source material to support your argument?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
I took it today with no prep and I thought the essays were fine without outside sources.

I don't know what i made on the test yet though so I might revise my opinion if I fail, lol.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but just in case anyone is searching for this TECEP, I will relay my experience. I took the test cold bc I got too busy at work to study. The first 2 sections are pretty straightforward, part 1 is multiple choice, part 2 is matching the logical fallacy description to its label. If you have argued on the internet you can probably do this, it's stuff like "strawman" or "false appeal to authority" or whatever. For the amount of points you get from it, this section is extremely short so take a minute and study the list of fallacies and you should be good. Note that this is not 10 separate questions on fallacies, it's a list of fallacies and a list of names and you match them up, so if you know like 7 of them you can probably guess the other 3 out of what's left to choose from.

The final part is 2 essays, 1 making an argument and the other picking an argument apart. Both are short and seemed pretty straightforward, asking you only to make specific points and cite facts to back them up.

I was worried there would be alot of named philosophers and asking you what schools of thought they belonged to or whatever but there really wasn't. Maybe 3 questions on that in the multiple choice section. So I would spend most of your time thinking about the essay questions, that's where the points are.

I got a B on it, even though it's just pass/fail so it doesn't really matter, but I could have missed a few more than I did and still passed so I feel pretty comfortable with how well I did on it. If I had to re-take it right now, I know I could pass it again.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Merlin, Murdockb
(01-17-2019, 07:08 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Hi, I realize this is an old thread but just in case anyone is searching for this TECEP, I will relay my experience. I took the test cold bc I got too busy at work to study. The first 2 sections are pretty straightforward, part 1 is multiple choice, part 2 is matching the logical fallacy description to its label. If you have argued on the internet you can probably do this, it's stuff like "strawman" or "false appeal to authority" or whatever. For the amount of points you get from it, this section is extremely short so take a minute and study the list of fallacies and you should be good. Note that this is not 10 separate questions on fallacies, it's a list of fallacies and a list of names and you match them up, so if you know like 7 of them you can probably guess the other 3 out of what's left to choose from.

The final part is 2 essays, 1 making an argument and the other picking an argument apart. Both are short and seemed pretty straightforward, asking you only to make specific points and cite facts to back them up.

I was worried there would be alot of named philosophers and asking you what schools of thought they belonged to or whatever but there really wasn't. Maybe 3 questions on that in the multiple choice section. So I would spend most of your time thinking about the essay questions, that's where the points are.

I got a B on it, even though it's just pass/fail so it doesn't really matter, but I could have missed a few more than I did and still passed so I feel pretty comfortable with how well I did on it. If I had to re-take it right now, I know I could pass it again.

A few questions regarding the essays:
1. is a certain length required?
2. do they provide source material that you can use to cite?
3. which citation style is required?
Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 616 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 163 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 434 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 920 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 269 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,588 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 869 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 338 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 219 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP Marketing Communications Avidreader 2 375 11-14-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Avidreader