Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14yr old testing college courses?
Is this a possibility?

Considering basic simpler courses, like English or Math.

As an extra activity for Summer break.

My local community college or technical schools need a high school certificate or GED.

Can child do the GED?
:hurray:

[SIZE=2]it is a journey[/SIZE]
A 14 year old can take CLEP and DSST

https://clep.collegeboard.org/parents-info

This is in regards to credit by exam. If you are looking for actual college courses that will be up to the school....but there is usually a provision for a 14-15 year old at the local CC.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:A 14 year old can take CLEP and DSST

https://clep.collegeboard.org/parents-info

This is in regards to credit by exam. If you are looking for actual college courses that will be up to the school....but there is usually a provision for a 14-15 year old at the local CC.

I appreciate the CLEP info.

I noticed that some of her coursework overlapped with some of the tests I took. So I figured she might as well try testing.

She is currently 13, will be 14 in the Fall.

BELLA Wrote:I appreciate the CLEP info.

I noticed that some of her coursework overlapped with some of the tests I took. So I figured she might as well try testing.

She is currently 13, will be 14 in the Fall.

IIRC, the minimum age to take the GED depends on the state of the student's residence. Very good possibility that she's too young.
BELLA Wrote:Can child do the GED?

If memory serves it's the same as the legal age you can drop out of school; in NJ it's 17, 16 with parental consent. I would contact your local HS and inquire on the exact age and process.

You might also want to research the dual enrollment program (HS/College) threads on the forum. Great stuff!

ETA - Jurisdiction Policies http://www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/2014policypages

Just looked it up, age is 18 in NJ. When underage the guidelines are as follows:
This rule changes based on which state you’re testing in. In New Jersey, you can be 16 or 17 and take the GED test if you have the following exception: 16 or 17 year olds must complete a Certificate of Consent to Participate form verifying that you’re not enrolled in school, have permission to take the GED test and have a parent or legal guardian accompany the test-taker to the test center with your completed Certificate of Consent to Participate form.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:If memory serves it's the same as the legal age you can drop out of school; in NJ it's 17, 16 with parental consent. I would contact your local HS and inquire on the exact age and process.

You might also want to research the dual enrollment program (HS/College) threads on the forum. Great stuff!

Thanks for that info.

BELLA,
I started taking CLEP tests at 13 as I finished relevant high school courses. In general I found that my high school classes were more than adequate to prepare me for the CLEP/Dantes exams.

I accumulated 90 credits by the time I was 16 and then wrote the dean at TESC requesting an exemption for admittance based on my tests passed. They accepted me within in two weeks and I graduated 9 months later with a BSBA in Management. Your daughter may not have have the desire to complete the whole college journey in the non-traditional way, but there are definitely options if you choose!
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
Farmerboy Wrote:BELLA,
I started taking CLEP tests at 13 as I finished relevant high school courses. In general I found that my high school classes were more than adequate to prepare me for the CLEP/Dantes exams.

I accumulated 90 credits by the time I was 16 and then wrote the dean at TESC requesting an exemption for admittance based on my tests passed. They accepted me within in two weeks and I graduated 9 months later with a BSBA in Management. Your daughter may not have have the desire to complete the whole college journey in the non-traditional way, but there are definitely options if you choose!

This is exactly whatwe are trying to do. Thanks. So how was it going into the testing rooms for clep/dsst?

I didn't take my CLEP's/DSST's as a 13-yo, but I did take them at my very large local college (San Diego State University with 35,000 students), and there was not a single soul in there when I went. So I can't imagine that it would be really intimidating for anyone in those circumstances. Not sure if your local testing place is busier than that, or if you can find somewhere quiet - I would certainly call and ask when it's quiet there if he/she would be more nervous with lots of people in there.

Also, regarding getting your GED - I would definitely think twice about that before doing it. Not sure how it is everywhere, but here in CA, you're basically considered a high school dropout if you get one. A high school diploma is definitely looked upon more favorably. And, if you get a GED, you're done with high school. You can't continue to go there once you get your GED. Again, not sure if it's the same everywhere, but look into it before you do it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I was going to stay out of this thread for fear of my personal opinions leaking out all over it, but I will add just a few cents into the discussion.

When your child completes the GED or high school diploma, she becomes eligible for federal financial aid. That can be viewed as an advantage.
Since CLEP isn't covered under federal financial aid, that probably wouldn't matter in this case, but it's important to know.
Completing a degree ahead of time, like in the early teens, presumes there is a plan for after. In other words, getting it out of the way so she can launch- launching into a prestigious grad school, if that's her plan, may be challenging with only a GED and mostly exam credits. If prestigious grad school admission isn't the plan, then what?

I know it feels like a child will look like a genius having a college degree at age 14, but using CLEPs as a replacement for k-12 education may not produce the results you're looking for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,195 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,453 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 451 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,744 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27