Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students
I have a question..

I have an AA in Mortuary Science (approx 80 credits), plus I have about 58-60 credits from a previous mortuary school that was denied accreditation. I got Southern New Hampshire University to accept those credits 58-60 credits and put them onto a transcript so they are "valid". But now I am trying to get my BA/BS in just about anything that allows me to use up as many of my credits as possible. So my question is, does my AA count towards my BA/BS or just the 58-60 credits I have? Most BA/BS programs are around 120 credits if I am not mistaken? If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ashley
arhanley Wrote:I have a question..

I have an AA in Mortuary Science (approx 80 credits), plus I have about 58-60 credits from a previous mortuary school that was denied accreditation. I got Southern New Hampshire University to accept those credits 58-60 credits and put them onto a transcript so they are "valid". But now I am trying to get my BA/BS in just about anything that allows me to use up as many of my credits as possible. So my question is, does my AA count towards my BA/BS or just the 58-60 credits I have? Most BA/BS programs are around 120 credits if I am not mistaken? If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ashley

Did you get a reply to this? It seems like you've not logged in a while either. Anyways, if you or others are wondering, here's what I believe.
Your AA in Mortuary Science mostly comprise of lower level courses, if not, all the credits you have obtained are lower level.

If it transfers over to a university, you would have your first 60 credits done for the most part, there may be some courses that will be acceptable for the prerequisites or requisites of a BA/BS, you should have at least 30 upper level credits to be on safe side, some schools only require 18-24 UL in AOS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hey, I've lurked for a while and I am going to start classes for Excelsior in a few days.

I picked the school because I needed to finish a communications degree at SUNY Buffalo that I was a few credits short about
8 years ago. Due to personal and financial reasons I had to stop.

According to the map plan they gave me I need the following:

Quote:CCS*100 EC Student Experience Orientation Requirement MET
ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Arts and Sciences Lower Level 5.0
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 15.0
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 20.0

APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Any Academic Area 2.0
TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 2.0

Totals listed above must include the following requirements:
General Education Requirements: Needed
Written English 0.0
Humanities Distribution 0.0
Humanities Core 0.0
Ethics 0.0

Social Sciences/History Distribution 0.0
Natural Sciences/Math Distribution 3.0
Math Requirement 0.0
Natural Science requirement 2.0
Information Literacy 1.0

I'm a bit confused about the Natural Sciences/Math distribution.

It says that I need Natural Sciences for 3 credits and then Natural Science for 2 credits.

Now I say that I can take 3 credits for NS110 Science in Today's world or test out via uexcel.
What about the 2 credits for Natural Science? Can I test out of both of those?

Now for my major requirements I'm kind of confused about the following:

Quote:Humanities Major -Communication Studies Concentration.
To include 18 upper level and 15 lower level credits.
Needed
Total Lower Level Humanities - Communication Studies 0.0
Total Upper Level Humanities - Communication Studies 6.0
Total Hours to Include the Following Requirements Needed
IA. Survey course in Humanities 3.0
IB. Introduction to Philosophy 0.0
IC. Ethics 0.0
ID. Research and Writing in the Major 1.0
IE. Humanities Capstone 3.0
Area II Electives Needed
IIA. Survey Course in Communication Studies 0.0
IIB. Additional credits in Communication Studies Met
Minimum of 5 courses required 6 taken

I'm not sure if my academic adviser explained it to me correctly. Is Research and writing the major
the same as the capstone?

I've searched far and wide but I'm not sure. Is there a way to effectively test out of upper level comm courses?

I am taking the following for this fall. I'm taking 7 credits to ease myself in. In future trimesters
depending on how i feel I might take a few more so I can finish by next summer.

Quote:HUM200 INTRODUCTION TO HUMANITIES
08/22/2016
10/16/2016 FALL I - 8 WEEK IN PROGRESS

INL102 INFORMATION LITERACY
08/22/2016
10/16/2016 FALL I - 8 WEEK IN PROGRESS

COMM335 ETHICS IN COMMUNICATION
10/17/2016
12/11/2016 FALL II - 8 WEEK IN PROGRESS

If anyone can help me out I appreciate it. Thank you.
justinleon Wrote:I'm a bit confused about the Natural Sciences/Math distribution.
It says that I need Natural Sciences for 3 credits and then Natural Science for 2 credits.
Now I say that I can take 3 credits for NS110 Science in Today's world or test out via uexcel.
What about the 2 credits for Natural Science? Can I test out of both of those?

The Natural Science/Mathematics requirement is 9 credits. Of the 9 credits 2 have to be a mathematics course and 2 have to be a natural science course. The remaining credits can be either math or science courses.

Good Luck!!
I suggest the Natural Sciences CLEP. That will get you six credits that should be able to be applied in your program. I am completing my BA with Excelsior and they allowed it for my program. That should shorten your time to completion.
dccommuter Wrote:I suggest the Natural Sciences CLEP. That will get you six credits that should be able to be applied in your program. I am completing my BA with Excelsior and they allowed it for my program. That should shorten your time to completion.

Interesting.

How long did it take for you to study for that?
Does anyone have information regarding the Criminal Justice /Investigative Forensics degree and the classes required and what can be tested out? For Excelsior or Thomas Edison?
(10-07-2016, 02:43 PM)justinleon Wrote:
dccommuter Wrote:I suggest the Natural Sciences CLEP.  That will get you six credits that should be able to be applied in your program.  I am completing my BA with Excelsior and they allowed it for my program.  That should shorten your time to completion.

Interesting.

How long did it take for you to study for that?

It depends, Nat sciences is a large chunk of material but I bagged six credits for it at Excelsior so well worth it. I think I took about 4 weeks to study for it. check out the subscribers exam feedback as to its layout when you get a chance it details it all.
You'll still need the Math section but you should be able to CLEP or DSST that section out too. CLEP Precalc will cover it for you.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Hi

i just found out about this forum and need some help figure out how to finish my BA so i can enter law school in about a year.
i have currently 52 credits from a community college and 12 credits from a french clep  total of 64. ( got these credits 10 years ago...)
there are no prerequisites for law school they will accept any BA.
i need to know what is the fastest and cheapest way to finish.
from what i read, it looks like excelsior is the way to go but i m open to any suggestions.
i will prefer taking test (cleps) than attending class or take online classes.

Any advise?
Thank you in advance
A few years ago, Excelsior was the more popular choice for people in this forum, but more recently it was the BSBA at TESU and now the BA in Liberal Studies at TESU.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 415 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 941 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,591 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,652 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,320 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,078 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,257 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,314 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az