Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Graduate Program in Marketing at SMU Cox School of Business
I am just starting my journey to a BSBA from 0 current credits. Trying to decide between TESC or the other 2. However, my current situation has driven me to pursue some marketing coursework at a local graduate school in marketing. This is due to my current employer pushing toward some sort of BS degree before I can go to a Director level position. I am already in the position but they won't give me the title or the compensation increase. HR has told me I need to have some additional educational credential besides high school. I have decided to pursue testing out for a BSBA over the next two years however, I may pursue some sort of marketing courseware here locally out of Dallas. My employer will pay a significant portion of the courseware.

As a result, I am considering the following program: Graduate Marketing Certificate Program (GMCP) at the Cox School of Business at SMU.

They claim it is highly respected with a 26+ year history here in Dallas TX, graduate level and taught by their MBA faculty, provides access to their SMU Cox Alumni network and networking opportunities in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

When I spoke to them on the phone, the representative told me many employers like the fact that it is NOT an online program but a complete in-peson classroom immersion program.

This is the email I received from them: "The GMCP is a 21 week program which combines 2 trimesters of lecture with the last trimester of a hands-on computer simulation group project. You will sharpen your skills by gaining exposure to the latest marketing advances and trends while learning from experienced marketing professionals and our graduate school faculty. Our online brochure at ISSUU - SMU Cox Graduate Marketing Certificate Program Overview by SMU Cox School of Business and our website at smucoxmarketing.com

The GMCP is a graduate level certificate program because our topics are graduate level material taught by our MBA faculty (and industry leaders). The GMCP is a 6 month program, offering 63 hours of instruction/group work. We cover a very broad range of marketing topics, from traditional topics like branding, customer relationship management, market segmentation, consumer behavior, omni-channel marketing to very current topics such as digital, social and mobile marketing. We offer 2 grading options each trimester, a pass/fail grade based on your attendance or a letter grade based on a writing assignment. The 3rd trimester is a group project, working on a comprehensive marketing simulation that helps you understand how marketing decisions work together."

They did review my resume and sent me an approval that they would let me in without my Bachelors completed.

I am new to this so I wanted to ask this community:
1)would this program potentially count toward any credits at any of the big 3 for a BSBA?
2)wondering if this program will shore up the appearance of doing an online undergraduate with one of the big 3 since SMU Cox graduate programs are well respected?

Thanks everyone!
I read the website and couldn't find any information on if this course will give academic credit besides your typical executive education CEU. These courses can provide valuable training and networking opportunities, but zero academic credit. Before you dive into this, ensure this type of course is what your HR has in mind in regards to additional education above high school. If they mean college credit, this may not be an option. I suspect this may be so since they require no bachelor's degree.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I went into your old posts to see if I could further help you and realized that you have already asked this question. You seem really intent on going, so you should just go ahead and do it. What is the hesitation?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 282 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,088 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 880 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,842 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,170 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,341 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,466 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,279 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  Master's in Online or Digital Marketing resistk 2 321 02-13-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: resistk