Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Home Schooling Kids
dfrecore Wrote:It might be a "freakanomics" thing, where more kids who don't fit in end up being homeschooled, making it look like more homeschooled kids end up "weird" - but really, they were always having problems, the issues were there BEFORE the homeschooling began, homeschooling didn't CAUSE them.

That's an excellent point!
Mamasaphire Wrote:Love it!!!! As a second gen homeschool parent, I couldn't have said it better than either dfrecore or cookderosa, so I won't try.

Just wanted to chime in and say that both of their perspective are very accurate from what I've seen over the last 40 years or so -- when I was homeschooled, and now that I have been homeschooling my own children, some of whom are in their late teens & early 20's.

Seriously, "socialization", or what the general population means when they say it, is typically not an issue for true/dedicated homeschoolers in my experience.

I completely agree. A good friend who is a special ed teacher has a very low opinion of homeschooling. Yet she doesn't know a single homeschooling family. Not one. She has some of the usual stereotypes - no socialization, weird kids, weird parents, behind academically. I don't homeschool but I know many who do and it works well for them. It bugs me when people make snap judgments without knowing anything about who or what they are judging.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:I completely agree. A good friend who is a special ed teacher has a very low opinion of homeschooling. Yet she doesn't know a single homeschooling family. Not one. She has some of the usual stereotypes - no socialization, weird kids, weird parents, behind academically. I don't homeschool but I know many who do and it works well for them. It bugs me when people make snap judgments without knowing anything about who or what they are judging.

I know people like this too. They make a generalization about an entire community of people based on 1 or even 0 people they personally know! Makes no sense.

If you don't know anyone who homeschools personally, and just have vague ideas about it, I'm not sure where your opinion comes from at all.

If you know ONE family who homeschools, then you're judging 1.8M kids by ONE family. If you were mugged by a person from Nebraska (a state of 1.8M people), would you say that all Nebraskans are muggers? If you got into a car accident with someone from West Virginia (a state of 1.8M people), would you say that everyone from WV is a bad driver? Yet that's what you do when you say that all homeschoolers should be judged by the single instance you met a single homeschooler. It's beyond stereotyping or generalizing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 455 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 620 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,125 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Teacher surprises kids with mirror trick! bjcheung77 0 470 06-23-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Video of Airbnb Guest Refusing to Leave Woman's Home. The Drama Gets Real! LevelUP 4 1,907 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 661 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 881 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
  Kids Get told NO MORE MASKS LevelUP 8 1,005 02-11-2022, 06:13 PM
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 790 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,230 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne