Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS College Algebra - Completed, but not Accepted by Coastline
As the title of the thread states, I completed the ALEKS College Algebra course and sent the transcript to Coastline. I have a SOC agreement with them and ACE directly e-mailed the transcript to the military contrast/Ed e-mail address that ACE has on file in their system. After about almost a whole week of asking this person if the ACE approved course was going to count, she said that "Your ACE transcript is not accepted because it is not regionally accredited; therefore we are not able to consider any credits from it." Has anyone else have any issue with getting their ALEKS course transferred or accepted for credit by their school, or if anyone who is enrolled with Coastline have any issues with transferring an ACE approved course? I don't see how it is not regionally accredited when it's approved by ACE.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
ACE’s CEAI Resource Center provides services to assist you in the application of your ACE credit recommendations. If a college has denied your request to transfer your ACE credit recommendations, you can contact the Resource Center for assistance by completing the online form.

For further assistance, call the Resource Center's toll-free number at 866-205-6267.

Using Your ACE Credit Recommendations
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

ACE is not an accrediting body. It is a college credit recommendation service. Actually, ACE recommendation is specifically designed for courses and tests that do not come from accredited colleges. Its purpose is to help people get college credits for training outside of colleges in professional settings. Thousands of colleges do not accept non-military, ACE credits. By looking at Coastline's website, it appears they only accept ACE recommendations for military training in addition to CLEP, DSST, and ECE (now called Uexcel).

The regional accreditors, which are recognized by CHEA and U.S. Department of Education, are listed below.

Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Higher Learning Commission (HLC)

Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)

New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE)
Commission on Institutions of Higher Education

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)

WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
We need to do a better job of putting disclaimers for non-traditional credits like ALEKS stating that most colleges will not take accept these in red and large font at the very beginning. Nobody should be wasting time and money on PF, ALEKS, SL, etc. without knowing that these credits are not very portable and the vast majority of colleges will laugh at you for sending ACE transcripts to them.

Assume your college is going to reject the non-traditional credits until you get written documentation stating otherwise. Just because ACE put a bow tie on the box doesn't mean anything.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:We need to do a better job of putting disclaimers for non-traditional credits like ALEKS stating that most colleges will not take accept these in red and large font at the very beginning. Nobody should be wasting time and money on PF, ALEKS, SL, etc. without knowing that these credits are not very portable and the vast majority of colleges will laugh at you for sending ACE transcripts to them.

Assume your college is going to reject the non-traditional credits until you get written documentation stating otherwise. Just because ACE put a bow tie on the box doesn't mean anything.

I always tell people that if we're not talking about The Big 3, then YMMV - but I would always assume that a college would NOT take ACE, unless I got confirmation that it did. I don't think anyone here has advises people to take ACE-recommended courses without first asking if their school accepts them. That is almost always the first question when new people come onto this forum and ask a question - "what school do you want to go to?" Then people can figure out if they should recommend ACE courses, or CLEP only, or whatever the school will take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It would be better to say "if you're not getting a degree from the big 3, it's very likely these credits are worthless rather than YMMV." I agree CLEP and DSST are YMMV, but we've gone away from them since SL, ALEKS, and others are easier and more convenient than on-site testing.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
kjmacaraeg Wrote:As the title of the thread states, I completed the ALEKS College Algebra course and sent the transcript to Coastline. I have a SOC agreement with them and ACE directly e-mailed the transcript to the military contrast/Ed e-mail address that ACE has on file in their system. After about almost a whole week of asking this person if the ACE approved course was going to count, she said that "Your ACE transcript is not accepted because it is not regionally accredited; therefore we are not able to consider any credits from it." Has anyone else have any issue with getting their ALEKS course transferred or accepted for credit by their school, or if anyone who is enrolled with Coastline have any issues with transferring an ACE approved course? I don't see how it is not regionally accredited when it's approved by ACE.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I take classes at Coastline as well. They only accept DSST, ASSET and CLEP and make so very clear on their website. They even have charts for how things will transfer. The info available on their site:

CLEP Exams military.coastline.edu/files/Military/NonTraditionalCredits.pdf
ASSET Math Exams (Applicable to military students only) military.coastline.edu/files/Military/ASSET%20Chart.pdf
DSST Math Exams military.coastline.edu/files/Military/NonTraditionalCredits.pdf

I tried transferring ALEKS credit there in May just to try since it's ACE and received an email saying:
We have received the request for an update to your offical SOC agreement and we have received the ACE transcript for Aleks however, we do not accept ACE transcripts towards transfer credit

Instead of taking a math class there, they let you take a Math Competency test for credit and then you do not have to take a Math class at Coastline to finish your degree.

The test isn't hard- especially after ALEKS. It's less than 60 questions over 3 sections and free to take. You may want to ask.
TrailRunr Wrote:It would be better to say "if you're not getting a degree from the big 3, it's very likely these credits are worthless rather than YMMV." I agree CLEP and DSST are YMMV, but we've gone away from them since SL, ALEKS, and others are easier and more convenient than on-site testing.

Feel free to say whatever you'd like.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The most accurate statement would be to check with your school's policy and how it will evaluate the course/test. That applies to every situation where one wants to take a course or test for transfer, even credits from regionally accredited schools. One of the worst mistakes one can make is to pay several hundred to over $1,000 dollars for a course at a regionally accredited school that ends up not transferring as expected. So, one should contact the school, regardless.

It's possible that someone could be attending one of SL's partner colleges. It's possible that a school that is not the Big 3 accepts non-military, ACE credits, in general (I know of at least a few schools that do, but there are probably more). I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from contacting their school and finding out about cheaper ways of completing degree requirements. Even at the Big 3, there are limitations to be aware of. For example, Excelsior has a limit on the number of ACE credits that can be used for the nursing degrees, and TESU limits the number of credits from one source.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It is unfortunate that you were unable to get credit for ALEKS College Algebra. However, if your school takes clep credits.. I would highly recommend taking the CLEP College Algebra exam. If you've already learned the material, don't let that time be wasted. Get credits out of it.

Best of luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 427 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP