Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA Operations Management: 100% testable
I just wanted to share my AoS plan for the BSBA in Operations Management. It may not be the cheapest way to get this concentration, but I didn't see much discussion on the forums or on the wikia.

First is to get your CPIM certification from APICS. This consists of 5 computer-based tests that are administered through a local Pearson-Vue testing center. The tests are not easy, but with studying (an old edition of Introduction to Materials Management by Tony Arnold is an excellent resource) it's very doable. This is a pretty well-known certification, and will transfer in as 12 UL credits through NCCRS:

CPIM - Basics of Supply Chain Management - 3 credits OPM-301 Operations Management
CPIM - Strategic Management of Resources - 3 credits OPM-470 - Materials Management Policy

I can't tell which the other 3 tests transferred in as on a one to one basis, but here are my guesses (the TESU courses are correct, just which they match to may not be correct):

CPIM - Master Planning of Resources - 2 credits OPM-313 Inventory Systems Planning
CPIM - Detailed Scheduling & Planning - 2 credits OPM-331 Production Planning & Scheduling
CPIM - Execution & Control of Operations - 2 credits OPM-332 Production Planning & Cost Analysis

At current rates, APICS annual Membership is $220, and each test is $190 ($290 for non-members). So $1170 total for 12 UL OPM credits. Plus you get a pretty industry-standard certification. Or you can pick and choose for $97-145 per credit (upper-level).

For the quality management requirement, I got CSU Global's Total Quality Management test pre-approved as OPM-411 (Total Quality Management). This is another $250.

As a final elective, I am taking Sophia's Project Management course for $329. I'm doing this because it fits into my BSAST degree plan. I haven't done research on what other options are out there for the various Op. Management electives. I don't have a comprehensive list of transfer equivalencies, so someone may be able to chime in with a better (cheaper) option here.
NOTE: I do not see OPM-351 (Business Statistics) in the electives section of the TESU site. I would verify with TESU if that would count, that would be a much cheaper option.

So for an estimate of about $1700-1800, you can have 18 UL operations management credits. Not the cheapest around, but still a good deal in my opinion considering the certification you pick up along the way.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
There are some additional courses from CSU-Global:
Leadership in Ops Management
Managing the Supply Chain (OPM-420?)
Project Procurement & Contract Management

Study.com has:
Advanced Ops Management (OPM-301)
Project Management (MAN-435?) - cheaper than Sophia, even if you only do 1 course for $199
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Study.com's Advanced Ops Management would duplicate the CPIM-BSCM test. Otherwise excellent options.

Do you know if Study.com PM definitely comes in as MAN-435? If not, I can open a ticket and ask. EDIT: I have put in a ticket anyway. If it does, I'll be taking this and the International Management course at the same time.

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
Yes, I knew it duplicated, I was just throwing out all of the available courses.

I don't know what the Study.com course comes in as, so I put the "?" at the end of it. But please update us when TESU replies. I am still waiting to see what all of their newest courses come in as (about 10 courses, 9 of them business). I really want to see what the accounting courses come in as.

The good news for you is that even if they decide PM through Study.com is LL, you have enough UL courses to satisfy the requirement, so you're fine to take it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
First of all, I really enjoyed reading your BSBA-OM plan. It's a nice change from the usual discussion on GE courses or the common TESU AOS.

I noticed from your signature you are going to earn the BSAST first and then the BSBA-OM.

For your second degree, you need 24 brand new credits in the AOS subsequent to the BSAST or any other college degrees including AA/MA/etc. Have you accounted for that already since it looks like you already earned the APICS-CPIM credits?
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:I noticed from your signature you are going to earn the BSAST first and then the BSBA-OM.

For your second degree, you need 24 brand new credits in the AOS subsequent to the BSAST or any other college degrees including AA/MA/etc. Have you accounted for that already since it looks like you already earned the APICS-CPIM credits?

I am going for my BSAST first for a few reasons: my original degree plan when I graduated high school was to go for Mechanical Engineering, and I made it about 2.5 years through that before I switched gears, so I have a lot of technical/engineering courses. I did the math, and with the Capstone and Project Management, I will have enough UL classes to satisfy the requirement. I just need a few general education credits, which will all duplicate to my BSBA, so the only real "extra" course is the APS-401 capstone. I consider $1,500 to have a second degree well worth it.

The second degree requirements are that the 24 new courses have to be in the AoS and/or core. I have no general business classes, so I will have more than enough room to earn another 24 credits after I complete the BSAST. I have another thread with my full degree plan (http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ility.html). I just wanted to post this separate thread to make it easy to find Op Mgmt information.

Hi Flelm,

I don't see CPIM listed as being transferrable? Where did you find out that it worked?
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
It's NCCRS approved for credits.

Thomas Edison State University: Professional Training
APICS, Inc. | NCCRS

TESU accepts NCCRS recommendations the same as it does ACE, but the procedure is a little different. You must ask the issuing body (APICS in this case) to send an official transcript directly to TESU. NCCRS just recommends credit, it does no validation.

I see, thanks for the info - might be useful if I decide to go for ops insteads Confusedmilelol:
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
Flelm Wrote:So for an estimate of about $1700-1800, you can have 18 UL operations management credits. Not the cheapest around, but still a good deal in my opinion considering the certification you pick up along the way.
18 AOS credits at $100 each is a great deal in my book. Nice work!
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,047 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,683 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,294 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,041 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,512 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,153 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU - BSBA Easiest Path to Obtain for BS degree? acamp 9 2,539 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,835 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan --- less time & money Bach2Mast 8 3,236 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Bach2Mast