Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pell Grant Question
Hello everyone I have a question regarding the Pell Grant. At the moment I am no longer eligible to receive the pell grant at my community college because I have taken over 90 credits there. 60 credits have been accepted at TESU. I have done a bit of research and discovered that it may be possible to keep on receiving the pell grant if I enroll at a different community college. The reason why I want to do this is because there are some classes at the community college that I can take to have it transferred to TESU. Since I live in California I will also benefit from the board of governors fee waiver which will basically pay for my classes.

My question is if I can keep on receiving the pell grant if I enroll at another community college?
Fortune212 Wrote:Hello everyone I have a question regarding the Pell Grant. At the moment I am no longer eligible to receive the pell grant at my community college because I have taken over 90 credits there. 60 credits have been accepted at TESU. I have done a bit of research and discovered that it may be possible to keep on receiving the pell grant if I enroll at a different community college. The reason why I want to do this is because there are some classes at the community college that I can take to have it transferred to TESU. Since I live in California I will also benefit from the board of governors fee waiver which will basically pay for my classes.

My question is if I can keep on receiving the pell grant if I enroll at another community college?

Here's what I found when I googled it: Can a Student be Cut Off from Financial Aid After Taking Too Many Credits? - Fastweb
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There is a federal website called the NSLD / National Student Loan Database. you might already have an account there if you had to do entrance counseling to get any student loans recently. There is a section once you log into NSLD that will show your Pell Grant usage in percentage. it will be a number anywhere from 0 to 600% If it's at 600% you've most likely maxed your Pell Grants out. If it's under 600% than you can probably enroll at another college and get the Pell grant. Some community colleges are instant admission where you can enroll with a high school diploma or GED and ask them for a credit evaluation later so they really don't know what courses you did previously (some CC's might not even ask).
With that being said if you already have 90 credits at the Community College level you are close to having your bachelors (120 credits) I had 99 credits and CSU global took 72 in transfer (I'm still waiting for my TESU evaluation).
Do you have a degree in mind? The Pell might be better spent at a 4 year university as most 4 year colleges won't take more than 60 credits from the community college level and getting more than your 90 at this point might not help. I have seen some exceptions to this.

best of luck.

Fortune212 Wrote:Hello everyone I have a question regarding the Pell Grant. At the moment I am no longer eligible to receive the pell grant at my community college because I have taken over 90 credits there. 60 credits have been accepted at TESU. I have done a bit of research and discovered that it may be possible to keep on receiving the pell grant if I enroll at a different community college. The reason why I want to do this is because there are some classes at the community college that I can take to have it transferred to TESU. Since I live in California I will also benefit from the board of governors fee waiver which will basically pay for my classes.

I need one more class at my community college to be able to transfer to a CSU because of a transfer agreement. The problem is though that the earliest I can begin taking classes at a CSU is Fall 2017. 60 of my credits have been accepted at TESU and I wanted to take some classes at another local community college, while I'm working on straighter line courses. The extra funds from the Pell could help me pay for classes, exams etc. The NSLD says I have used approximately 360% of my pell grant usage, I have applied to another CC and got accepted they said I can register for classes on the 30th of November, but I have not received any word of pell grant awards.
The school is put in charge of determining for the Pell grant. Generally once you hit 90 credits that money is no longer accessible. You will have to take courses at a 4 yr school.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 770 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 877 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,049 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,631 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,091 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM