Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intermediate Accounting II
Hello All,

First off sorry, I believe I have already posted something similar to this thread already. However, I am in need of taking this course soon and I haven't had any luck with my CC's allowing me to take it. They said that the manner I am earning Intermediate Accounting I for TESU they will not accept as the Pre-Req. I really want to take this course at a school but online course. I want to make sure I actually learn and not just "coast" through it. Does anyone know of an actual School that will allow me to take this course for a reasonable cost and not need the pre-req for it. One about I don't really want to take this through Penn Foster. I put out a Message to UAlbany to see if I can take it there but its doubtful. I also contacted Study.com to see if they could add this in the near future also.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Hello All,

First off sorry, I believe I have already posted something similar to this thread already. However, I am in need of taking this course soon and I haven't had any luck with my CC's allowing me to take it. They said that the manner I am earning Intermediate Accounting I for TESU they will not accept as the Pre-Req. I really want to take this course at a school but online course. I want to make sure I actually learn and not just "coast" through it. Does anyone know of an actual School that will allow me to take this course for a reasonable cost and not need the pre-req for it. One about I don't really want to take this through Penn Foster. I put out a Message to UAlbany to see if I can take it there but its doubtful. I also contacted Study.com to see if they could add this in the near future also.

What ARE you doing for Intermediate Accounting I? I don't see it in your signature.
SL's Financial Accounting

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Financial accounting is different from Intermediate Accounting I.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Financial accounting is different from Intermediate Accounting I.

TESU brings in the SL ACC-151 Financial Accounting course as ACC-201 Intermediate Accounting I.
Thomas Edison State University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine
ndelcollo Wrote:TESU brings in the SL ACC-151 Financial Accounting course as ACC-201 Intermediate Accounting I.
Thomas Edison State University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine

Interesting. So then what do TESU accounting/business majors usually do for the financial accounting requirement?

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Synicaal Wrote:... and not need the pre-req for it.

You will need the pre-req. The traditional sequence goes like this:

Financial accounting
Managerial accounting
Intermediate Accounting I
Intermediate Accounting II

I think it might be OK to take Managerial before Financial, but it's not OK to take Intermediate I before either of those two. I'm surprised that TESU accepts a Financial Accounting course as Intermediate I. That doesn't make sense to me. They actually are two very different courses, and students need to know the first two before diving into Intermediate I. TESU's equivalence there might be OK for any other business major, but I am not convinced that it makes sense for an accounting major. Unless there's something about SL's financial accounting that I don't know, which is possible since I haven't taken it. But just at face value, I question the wisdom of doing it that way for an accounting major. And naturally you had no idea so I hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing you. I'd just like to make sure that somebody who wants to be an accounting major really learns the foundational knowledge that will contribute to being a successful accountant.

I'm willing to be corrected. But I just decided to review the course description at SL, and now I am quite sure that it is not the same as Intermediate I. What we call "Financial Accounting" at the LL really means, Introduction to Financial Accounting or Principles of Financial Accounting. Intermediate I is more advanced topics in financial accounting, time value of money, and goes into more depth in certain areas of the balance sheet. Debits and credits and how they fit into the chart of accounts and balance sheet should be fully mastered before attempting Intermediate I. And those things are learned in Financial Accounting.

Can you take all four of those courses at your local CC? Does that fit with your timetable and budget?

SL has Accounting I which transfers as "Principles of" Financial Accounting and Accounting II which transfers are "Principles of" Managerial Accounting. TESUs transfers the higher level courses of Financial and Managerial Accounting as Intermediate I and Cost accounting.

Synicaal - look through the list of SL Partner schools. Maybe you will find a cheaper alternative there. I'm not familiar with most of the schools but APU is about $250 per credit and CSU-Global is $350 per credit.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Financial accounting is different from Intermediate Accounting I.

SL has Accounting I and Accounting II courses - Those transfer to TESU at The Financial and Managerial Accounting. I am doing my Financial and Managerial Accounting at my local CC. I'm doing SL's Financial and Managerial Accounting also which transfer in as Intermediate Accounting I and Cost Accounting. I'm doing Study.com's Applied Managerial Accounting and Advanced Accounting I. Also doing TESU's Federal Income Tax TECEP. That leaves the Intermediate Accounting II requirement. I am trying to find the best option for ME to take this course. This is how my AOS looks:

Intermediate Accounting I SLER ACC-201 LL
Intermediate Accounting II PENN ACC-202 LL
Applied Managerial Accounting STUDY ACC-301 UL
Cost Accounting SLER ACC-303 UL
Advanced Accounting I STUDY ACC-401 UL
Federal Income Tax (TECEP) TECEP ACC-421-TE UL

Synicaal Wrote:SL has Accounting I and Accounting II courses - Those transfer to TESU at The Financial and Managerial Accounting. I am doing my Financial and Managerial Accounting at my local CC. I'm doing SL's Financial and Managerial Accounting also which transfer in as Intermediate Accounting I and Cost Accounting. I'm doing Study.com's Applied Managerial Accounting and Advanced Accounting I. Also doing TESU's Federal Income Tax TECEP. That leaves the Intermediate Accounting II requirement. I am trying to find the best option for ME to take this course. This is how my AOS looks:

Intermediate Accounting I SLER ACC-201 LL
Intermediate Accounting II PENN ACC-202 LL
Applied Managerial Accounting STUDY ACC-301 UL
Cost Accounting SLER ACC-303 UL
Advanced Accounting I STUDY ACC-401 UL
Federal Income Tax (TECEP) TECEP ACC-421-TE UL

I would pay close attention to what tesu-acct-student has posted - it's absolutely correct.

I reviewed the syllabus for both the Straighterline Financial Accounting course and the Study.com Advance accounting course you have listed.

The Straighterline course does not come close to the depth of an intermediate accounting that an accounting major would take at a 4-year school. If UAlbany were to allow you to take their Intermediate II course with only the Straighterliine course as preparation, you would be utterly destroyed.

Study.com's advanced accounting course is far from the advanced accounting course that an accounting major would take for a bachelor's degree. This course would typically cover consolidated financial statements, foreign currency translation, transfer pricing and governmental-non-profit accounting.

If TESU accepts SL's Financial Accounting as Intermediate Accounting I and study.com's Advanced Accounting as meeting an advanced accounting requirement for a 4-year degree in accounting, it raises questions about the credibility of the process they use to determine course equivalencies.

I would advise you to look at the Intermediate Accounting I and II at LSU (is.LSU.edu). These courses cover the exact material that you would find in a traditional classroom and believe me, you would not be "coasting your way through" in these courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,441 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Need 12 Accounting Credits... TallC 6 1,196 08-17-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 7 2,200 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Intermediate Accounting I and II self-paced options? RDUstudent 6 1,379 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Teach myself Accounting natshar 7 1,829 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: natshar
Question list of available accounting courses udi 7 1,852 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  New CSU Global SSAs in Accounting sanantone 15 3,116 11-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 2,754 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources? Jenniferinfl 47 6,386 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  Need 18 Accounting Courses or Certificate germ 3 1,448 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: germ