Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A naive question about WGU's learning format
If this has been asked before, I apologize, please point me in the right direction. I couldn't find anything in search(both on here and google).

How much does WGU actually provide content vs. just being a medium to get credit for prior knowledge? for example, is it assumed that you know most everything or can figure it out with outside resources? Are there lectures, reading material, pointers to resources, etc.

I ask because I applied to the MS - data analytics program and the admissions counselor was more or less saying that if I didn't already know everything/most content that it wasn't right for me. They would need my transcripts, a resume, and me to plead my case. I think I was surprised because having 2 undergrad degrees and a great GPA, I'm so used to schools looking at my background and saying "when can you start?" I have 2 Bsc, one in business and one in computer science. I have a few years experience as a software engineer. It really made me question whether WGU was right for me. My assumption is that he's so used to people diving into the deep end and failing that he's setting expectations.... but both my programs have been online. first was Excelsior, heavy clep/dsst... second was a traditional program through brick and mortar but all online. Don't get me wrong, I applied to this program because it was in line with my current field and would allow a good amount of knowledge transfer.
It is "competency" based...so rather than being spoon fed then regurgitating the information you will have to be a self starter to succeed at WGU.

My MBA had a pretty robust set of instructions that detailed what had to be demonstrated to show that competency. There were online books that held the information made available by WGU free of added cost...but I usually skipped those for easier to digest info from reputable internet sources. Every class had a mentor who was available and typically had copious lectures available guiding you to the right material to allow you to demonstrate your proficiency. They were also available to answer questions as to why a given submission was rejected and how one might correct it and re-submit. Some classes even had a guided study group to help you through the material.

At the graduate level they do expect you to have some experience within the field. I too was required to submit my resume and speak to my business leadership before being allowed into the MBA program. WGU is not for everybody, I wouldn't choose it to teach me career change type education....unless it was to something I was already familiar with.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:It is "competency" based...so rather than being spoon fed then regurgitating the information you will have to be a self starter to succeed at WGU.

My MBA had a pretty robust set of instructions that detailed what had to be demonstrated to show that competency. There were online books that held the information made available by WGU free of added cost...but I usually skipped those for easier to digest info from reputable internet sources. Every class had a mentor who was available and typically had copious lectures available guiding you to the right material to allow you to demonstrate your proficiency. They were also available to answer questions as to why a given submission was rejected and how one might correct it and re-submit. Some classes even had a guided study group to help you through the material.

At the graduate level they do expect you to have some experience within the field. I too was required to submit my resume and speak to my business leadership before being allowed into the MBA program. WGU is not for everybody, I wouldn't choose it to teach me career change type education....unless it was to something I was already familiar with.

Thanks! This makes sense and was what I was looking for
Also you're paying per term, so if you spend tons of extra time studying while you're enrolled, it costs a lot more money than if you come in and efficiently dispose of your projects.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 658 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  NAU Personalized Learning Master of Organizational Leadership Jonathan Whatley 11 1,609 12-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 833 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 711 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone know anything about Arkansas State Online? Also have a question about doctorat Randyb100 7 1,182 03-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: siersema
  Question about ENEB Big Data Masters OTmina 3 1,155 02-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,402 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Looking for a scholarship that would cover for distance learning expenses blablablox 5 904 11-15-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: thodeptrai
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,169 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Walden Tempo Learning - CBE Price Increase March 2022 bjcheung77 1 1,151 12-26-2021, 11:11 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs