Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling US History I Clep...Help
I'm a 15 year old Sophomore. I'm studying US History right now and want to take the US History I Clep. I have been using Instant Cert flashcards and have been getting an average 80-90% on them, yet when I take full-length practice tests (On Rea website, and clep book) I score around 30-40%. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?? All advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!
The IC cards work well if you already have a decent knowledge base in the subject. It focuses your attention to details you really need to know. As the sole study source for new subject, I don't think they are adequate, however.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Deleted because it accused the OP of spamming, and she was not.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV

Mom of new poster you are accusing as spam here. How RUDE and mean spirited. My 15 yr old DD actually came on this forum looking for legitimate help. We personally own Homeschooling for College Credit by Jennifer Cook DeRosa, and are members here as a result.

Perhaps if you have nothing nice, or constructive to say, you should keep you keyboard shut. Bullying a 15 yr old, who is looking for help on passing her first exam, came to the forum for advice based on my counsel. Shame on you.

Sincerely,
Ticked off Mom (who will be happy to provide a phone number for you to call live if you think I AM SPAM)

PS We are happy and grateful for anybody else who wants to chime in with real and helpful advice. My DD has read a complete History book covering the time frame of 1708 to 1991. She just can't seem to get a passing grade on the REA tests even tho she is scoring well on the IC flash cards. We want to know if the Clep is passable with the IC scores alone, or if the REA exams are a better score indicator.TIA
Convenient.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
lilclark0707 Wrote:KayV

Mom of new poster you are accusing as spam here. How RUDE and mean spirited. My 15 yr old DD actually came on this forum looking for legitimate help. We personally own Homeschooling for College Credit by Jennifer Cook DeRosa, and are members here as a result.

Perhaps if you have nothing nice, or constructive to say, you should keep you keyboard shut. Bullying a 15 yr old, who is looking for help on passing her first exam, came to the forum for advice based on my counsel. Shame on you.

Sincerely,
Ticked off Mom (who will be happy to provide a phone number for you to call live if you think I AM SPAM)

PS We are happy and grateful for anybody else who wants to chime in with real and helpful advice. My DD has read a complete History book covering the time frame of 1708 to 1991. She just can't seem to get a passing grade on the REA tests even tho she is scoring well on the IC flash cards. We want to know if the
Clep is passable with the IC scores alone, or if the REA exams are a better score indicator.TIA

I deleted the above post because you are right, it was mean-spirited to accuse her of spamming when she did not shill or post a link.

Your daughter should try free-clep-prep dot com for extra practice.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
lilclark0707 Wrote:I'm a 15 year old Sophomore. I'm studying US History right now and want to take the US History I Clep. I have been using Instant Cert flashcards and have been getting an average 80-90% on them, yet when I take full-length practice tests (On Rea website, and clep book) I score around 30-40%. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?? All advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Have you studied US History as a formal course at the high school level (or above) before, or is this your first time? I have some suggestions, but your answer will help me guide you.

EDIT: I didn't read this thread before I replied. So, my question is to either the mom or teen- what curriculum did you use?
Cookderosa, this is my first year studying US History. I have read book 4 of the Mystery of History series (on US History), I also have been studying the IC flashcards for about two months, and I've watched the Hippo Campus videos. I have taken many tests on Collegeboard, and the Rea website and from the Rea book. My last online Rea exam was 30%. These were the subjects that they said I was weak in:

Economic developments
Social developments
Diplomacy and international relations
Political institutions, political developments, behavior and public policy

I have been studying this subject for around 2 and a half months. I just don't know why I'm scoring so low on the tests? We want to take the Clep, but only when I'm ready to take it. How do I know when I'm ready to take it? We really appreciate the help and advice! :-)
lilclark0707 Wrote:Cookderosa, this is my first year studying US History. I have read book 4 of the Mystery of History series (on US History), I also have been studying the IC flashcards for about two months, and I've watched the Hippo Campus videos. I have taken many tests on Collegeboard, and the Rea website and from the Rea book. My last online Rea exam was 30%. These were the subjects that they said I was weak in:

Economic developments
Social developments
Diplomacy and international relations
Political institutions, political developments, behavior and public policy

I have been studying this subject for around 2 and a half months. I just don't know why I'm scoring so low on the tests? We want to take the Clep, but only when I'm ready to take it. How do I know when I'm ready to take it? We really appreciate the help and advice! :-)

Ok, thanks for your answers. Let me help you (and your mom if possible) break this down the way I would do it if I were in your shoes.

I pulled up the outline for your textbook http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/wp-co...er_TOC.pdf and the thing I noticed immediately is that it is a full year of American History across 28 weeks. That's too light in my opinion. The exam you're prepping for only goes through the Civil War/Reconstruction, so in your text, that is weeks 1-12. To compare, a 16 week college class will cover a lot more than a 12 week high school class. You can, of course, review those first 12 weeks again- but I don't think that will help. You're likely missing large chunks of content, which is the issue. When your foundation is a little stronger, you can memorize facts and then intuit how they are part of the big picture. In my opinion, that is the missing link. You have facts that aren't connected floating around in your brain. You need that connection between them to help you.

REA and InstantCert are excellent, but if I were guessing, I'd say it probably feels like you're studying for a game of Trivial Pursuit instead of revisiting things you already learned in class. That's an indication that your class didn't fit the bill perfectly...but no worries, you can absolutely fill in those gaps.

My suggestion is to spend the next 2-3 weeks adding to your foundation. I don't know what your school schedule looks like right now, but if you have the time, you might want to watch this free video series that is VERY GOOD by Annenberg Media. I use this in my home as well as the study groups I've done in the past.
You may even want to take notes: Resource: A Biography of America

Second, you may benefit from reading a little longer content than what is in the REA guide. The REA is the absolute minimum/concise summary- but as you go through, it doesn't give enough back story, it's more targeted at helping you learn key points. My suggestion is to do a bit more reading from a free source I like called Sparks Notes. They have amazing US History summaries and quizzes to help you fact check as you go. Remember, don't go newer than the Civil War/Reconstruction for this exam! This link opens to a LOT of text. You don't need to read it all- but make sure you really pay attention to things that relate to the economic and political developments. Also, pay attention to BOOKS written in each time period- when a name like Harriet Beecher Stowe comes up, ask yourself why that book/author is significant? Remember, there was no such thing as the internet, so for something to "go viral" it must have really REALLY been a big deal. *this is where your gaps are in the social developments. Wink

Finally, I have a site bookmarked that is so good. It's full of US History quizzes written by an Advanced Placement history teacher. Again, it's a full year of content, so don't go newer than Civil War/Reconstruction. USQuizMainPAge

If you spend more time going deeper (not wider) in the material, I think you'll see your scores improve. Don't do any more REA tests (save them for later!) until you've studied more. When the time comes, take your last REA and see how you do. If you're still struggling, there are other brands of practice tests you can try, but I really do believe you need more time in the subject before you do any more CLEP prep.

Keep me posted! I'm rooting for you.

EDIT to add: layers are really the key. Layering curriculum with videos and helper books, and then topping off with test prep and practice exams. This video I did a long time ago explains what I mean- it's for your mom- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijP7dm5fXeQ&t=9s
[-] The following 1 user Likes cookderosa's post:
  • BigDaddy1
My 14 year old daughter took the History 1 CLEP last year. She got a 51 (which I believe was a miracle). I also helped her a lot for this CLEP. She crammed the information and barely passed. Not a good strategy. I personally don't think she was comfortable enough or prepared enough for this test. It was her first CLEP. The result kinda scared me a bit. Then she failed the Interpreting Literature CLEP. After that I decided to forget CLEPS for awhile. Since then, she has been taking courses through Study.com and passing every course. She has now 27 credits total. She is also learning the material which is the point of homeschooling anyway. We will probably continue with this route for College credit. It works for her and for me. No driving :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,572 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,115 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 515 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 518 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  From struggling academically to earning a Ph.D bjcheung77 0 315 05-22-2023, 06:19 PM
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 474 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  edX sale to 2U leaves both sides struggling smartdegree 7 1,021 01-25-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jsd
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,845 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  From 3 Struggling Public Colleges, a New University Emerges LevelUP 2 755 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: allvia