Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematics Teaching Degree WGU -in progress!
So after nearly a year of testing from zero to 67 credits and several different college options, I have applied to WGU and been admitted. Here is what the transcript evaluation looked like for whoever may be curious. I am shooting for enrollment May 1. This thread will be an accountability and info thread if in the future someone else is looking into teaching.

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">degree evaluation NONTRANSFERABLE.doc (Size: 141 KB / Downloads: 80)
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">degree evaluation TRANSFERABLE.doc (Size: 127.5 KB / Downloads: 73)
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Is this for there Bachelors Degree program? I am considering them for my Multiple Subject Credential or their masters degree with credential program.
teacher2 Wrote:So after nearly a year of testing from zero to 67 credits and several different college options, I have applied to WGU and been admitted. Here is what the transcript evaluation looked like for whoever may be curious. I am shooting for enrollment May 1. This thread will be an accountability and info thread if in the future someone else is looking into teaching.
Yes, it is for the Bachelors. I have friend who is looking into the masters in ed. as well but she is waiting to see how "my experience" plays out. I would love to see how yours goes if you go that route!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

Nice! I hope it goes smoothly for you! I am looking at several options honestly i am wanting to get picked up by a school district and offered a 5 year temporary credential while also completing a teacher prep program. I will be attending lots of job fairs before i decide which path to take.. Oh I wanted to mention that when i talked to WGU they did confirm that they give a 2,000 scholarship to those who have taken 4 SL courses or more and an additional $50 per course that you have took. There is also a 4,000 scholarship to apply for to help you with the fees for student teaching and various things definitely ask about these!
teacher2 Wrote:Yes, it is for the Bachelors. I have friend who is looking into the masters in ed. as well but she is waiting to see how "my experience" plays out. I would love to see how yours goes if you go that route!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cali86's post:
  • teacher2
Finished Orientation and have met my student mentor. I have not started the Degree planning with my mentor because of some tech issues on their side. But all in all going smoothly. I am wondering though if my plan to finish will be different from my mentor's. Here is what I initially had in mind. However, this plan may be idealistic and not realistic. Also my SM (Student Mentor) said that my first course is required to be math.

Edit. I am not crazy enough to attempt Calculus in a month! I was home-schooled using Saxon and the DIVE cd and have both of them in Calculus and will be working on that till September!

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">Mathematics degree WGU. 1.doc (Size: 49.5 KB / Downloads: 20)

My degree plan was opened tonight and I have been pleasantly surprised! WGU uses Thinkwell videos for their Calculus 1 like SL does. I am glad I did not go with SL and attempt to finish this in a month! Also they use vitalsource bookshelf like SL does. Still exploring!

Edit: Just learned that the Probability and Statistics 1 course is through Acrobatiq.

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • acamp
teacher2 Wrote:Finished Orientation and have met my student mentor. I have not started the Degree planning with my mentor because of some tech issues on their side. But all in all going smoothly. I am wondering though if my plan to finish will be different from my mentor's. Here is what I initially had in mind. However, this plan may be idealistic and not realistic. Also my SM (Student Mentor) said that my first course is required to be math.

Edit. I am not crazy enough to attempt Calculus in a month! I was home-schooled using Saxon and the DIVE cd and have both of them in Calculus and will be working on that till September!

Nice! I used Saxon and DIVE too in middle school
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
I HIGHLY recommend following the series through high school. Don't switch to MATH-U-SEE. I have taught MATH-U-SEE Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 but they are no where near as comprehensive as Saxon so I had to do a ton of supplementing!

I'm using Life of Fred and Khan Academy.
Life of Fred is supposed to be a lot more comprehensive than Saxon and I really enjoy it!
Not so sure about Khan... Smile
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
Hey everyone! Doing a update. I started WGU yesterday and have already completed Task 1,2, and 7 in Finite Mathematics. I have submitted Task 3,4, and 5 and am waiting on evaluation. This is what the coursework looks like for this class.

Sets and Operations; Task 1
Logic and Truth Tables; Prime and Composite Numbers; Task 2
Order of Operations; Task 3
Ordering Numbers; Task 4
Mathematical Systems; Task 5; Number Patterns; Task 6
Ratio and Proportion; Task 7; Graph Theory; Counting Principles

There is some other book work they "want" you to do but I don't think it is required. So far I am enjoying the work and WGU. Also another thing I like is the evaluation team grades my work within a couple hours of my submission. I am looking to finish this course within the week and move on to Geometry next week since both classes are performance tasks and I don't have my webcam in yet. After that, I will take the Critical Thinking and Logic course final.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 4 224 Yesterday, 06:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 261 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 362 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 977 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,282 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 534 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,275 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 434 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,237 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 989 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece