Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help: Planning a reasonable pathway to an online Bachelor's degree
For starters, I've got two AAS degrees (one in Cybersecurity, the other in Computer Networking) and want to pick up a Bachelor's degree in something less...specific. Hopefully, I can transfer as many credits as possible to a BS in Business (to facilitate a far-future plan to pick up an MBA).

I've been tossing a few names around in my head and doing a lot of digging, and I am liking the look of COSC and Excelsior specifically, but other options are fine so long as the costs are reasonable. Even if I can't test out of everything, I need something that won't cost my kidney and right arm.

My transcript is below:
ENGL 1301 - Composition I - A
MATH 1414 - College Algebra - A
GOVT 2305 - Federal Government (Fed. Const. and Topics) - A
HUMA 1301 - Introduction to Humanities I - A
SPCH 1311 - Introduction to Speech Communication - B
ITNW 1358 - Network+
ITCC 1371 - CCNA 1 (Introduction to Networks) - A
ITCC 1374 - CCNA 2 (Routing and Switching Essentials) - A
ITCC 2370 - Cisco CCNA Security - A
ITCC 2371 - CCNA 3 (Scaling Networks) - A
ITCC 2372 - CCNA 4 (Connecting Networks) - A
ITCC 2374 - CCNP Routing (Implementing IP Routing) - A
ITCC 2375 - CCNP Switch (Implementing IP Switching) - A
ITCC 2376 - CCNP TSHOOT (Maintaining and Troubleshooting IP Networks) - A
ITSY 2300 - Operating System Security - B
ITSY 2301 - Firewalls and Network Security - A
ITSY 2342 - Incident Response and Handling - A
ITSY 2341 - Security Management Practices (Capstone) - A
ITSY 2343 - Computer System Forensics - A
CPMT 1305 - IT Essentials I (PC Hardware and Software) - A
POFT 1329 - Beginning Keyboarding - A
ITMT 1370 - Configuring and Supporting Microsoft Windows 7 - A
ITMT 2370 - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 - A
ITMT 2371 - Administering Windows Server 2012 - A
ITMT 2372 - Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
ITSC 1316 - Linux Installation and Configuration - A
ITNW 2375 - VMware vSphere: Installation, Configuration, and Management - A

Basically, I'm looking for any Baccalaureate program that can leverage the work I've already done to complete as many of the requirements as possible, and a plan using available resources (CLEP, DSST, StraighterLine, Saylor, et cetera) to expedite the process and reduce costs. I'm more open to taking non-accredited courses for ACE or NCCR credit (e.g. StraighterLine, ALEKS, Sayor) than I am taking some CLEP/DSST exams (specifically the sciences, which have an abysmal pass rate).

As I've only got 16cr of Gen Ed, but 66cr of technical/vocational training, I'm really lost as to what the best program is for my case, and two months of research has just left me with a bunch of ideas swimming around in my noggin.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Well, the TESU BSBA is out, as it won't utilize most of these credits, and you'll have a ton of credits to do - practically starting from scratch. You only have 5 Gen Ed courses completed, leaving 45 credits to complete, and then you'll only be able to bring in 6 credits into the AOS, because you need 12cr of UL there. 6 more credits into Free Electives. So you're at 93 credits total to complete (31 courses).

COSC and EC will probably take more credits, but you still don't have very many Gen Ed's, so you may have the same problem as TESU. And they require even more UL credits which none of these will work for, so you have at least 30cr UL to take (10 courses). And they are less accepting of SL/Study.com etc as coming in UL.

I think you should consider WGU. You can transfer in an AAS, and they MAY give you a block transfer of your Gen Ed's, and let you move onto the Core, and even give you some credits there for these courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Do you have IT certifications (or others)? Most schools give some credit for them.

You are awesome! You should apply to Hodges and WGU for your Bachelors. I highly recommend either school for your IT degree. Once you get your degree, you can continue with WGU for an MBA or Hodges for an MIS degree. Actually, you can add in Patten for their MBA as it only requires a Bachelors with College Algebra and Microeconomics, decisions, decisions, but these are your best options for cheap, easy, fast Regionally Accredited degrees.

Note: COSC and Excelsior both provide a bachelors degree in cyber security, you should apply to them all and see which ones will grant you the most credit. Your best bet to get cheap/free application and or tuition to COSC, Excelsior/WGU and Patten is to use the Straighterline Scholarship/Partnership pricing, all you need is at least 4 courses at SL. Good deal!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In your shoes, I would go ahead and apply to both of them and send in your transcripts. That's the only way to find out exactly how COSC and Excelsior will apply your unique mix of credits. You could try TESU, but dfrecore really knows their BSBA, so you can count on it panning out as she says. You can also apply to WGU, just remember that you can't move to enrolled status until after you earn all external credits as they won't accept credits earned after your enrollment.

You've come to the right place to avoid losing body parts.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I'd apply to WGU's business and IT programs and see how much transfers over. You could spend a few months with Straighterline and knock out a ton of lower level credits (my son did 8 courses in one month and 7 in another), or it's possible they'll grant you credit for all of that with your current degrees. I know they do that with AS degrees, but I'm not certain about AAS. It's well worth looking into. And if you're able to put a lot of time into it, you could possibly complete your degree in one 6 month term which would cost $3,000.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
dfrecore Wrote:Well, the TESU BSBA is out, as it won't utilize most of these credits, and you'll have a ton of credits to do - practically starting from scratch...So you're at 93 credits total to complete (31 courses).
What would be the easiest way to complete the BSBA in General Management? Even though Gen. Ed. requirements need to be completed, it seems (per SL's partner page) that I could pick up the LL credits through SL and (maybe) ALEKS. I plan to CLEP US History I and II and will be finishing up Comp II, Financial Accounting, and Macroeconomics in the next few months.

dfrecore Wrote:I think you should consider WGU. You can transfer in an AAS, and they MAY give you a block transfer of your Gen Ed's, and let you move onto the Core, and even give you some credits there for these courses.

I've always been leery of WGU. From what I've heard, they proctor every test for every class (midterm and final) and that those tests are your only method of grading. If WGU is more like StraighterLine (most of the grade comes from coursework and the final is just a portion of the grade like a normal college class), this is less intimidating. I've always been a good tester, but hedging my entire grade for every class on one or two assignments is a truly daunting task.

Do you know any good resources about WGU's format?

In either case, is there any way to get credit for lab sciences online with WGU, TESU, COSC, or EC? I would just finish them at my CC, but they only offer them in the middle of the day Mon-Fri when I'm working.
Ideas Wrote:Do you have IT certifications (or others)? Most schools give some credit for them.

CCNA, CCNP, and CCNA Security. I know EC does, but I haven't found anything related to the Cisco or CompTIA certs through most others (not even TESU)
bjcheung77 Wrote:SNIP...Hodges and WGU...SNIP

I'll definitely take a look. With regards to WGU, have you taken courses with them yet? If so, how are the grades handled?
I think only one person on the forums has ever discussed their Hodges experience, and if I recall they were lukewarm on the program and didn't finish it. It's not popular at all here.

WGU is a bit more popular, however. Not as much as the Big 3, but you'll find lots of feedback. People seem to enjoy it (including myself).

As far as grades, there are none at WGU. It's pass/fail.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 497 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 386 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,351 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 305 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,686 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 741 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,738 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden