Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to begin studying for the US history 1 CLEP?
Hey guys!
I am beginning my preparation for the US History 1 CLEP. I haven't taken an American History class in forever and I guess I just don't know where to begin. I skimmed through a forum on it and while a ton of users made great suggestions, I still feel kind of stuck, as a lot of the stuff kind of went over my head. I don't want to purchase a study book because money is tight right now and I used the REA book for the College Mathematics CLEP and I HATED it. So anyway, if anyone has any advice as to how create a starting off point for myself that would be amazing!!!
Thanks in advance!! Smile
Try your library, or see if you can borrow one in another way like if a family member's library has it?

Or an old book for like $4-5?

I'm not sure how good it is, but Saylor used to have a course, and it's still up: https://legacy.saylor.org/hist211/Intro/

Hi good idea testing out of U.S history, there are a numerous free resources that this forum will tell you about if you know the search terms. It's often not what's available but what you should choose. Simple free U.S videos located here Resource: A Biography of America You'll only need the first 25 or so for US History 1. In addition these audio lectures https://archive.org/details/History_7b_S...C_Berkeley I found very helpful for History II if you do a web search for the lecturer there are U.S History lectures she did for U.S I also but I don't have time to search for those. Also remember that the Instantcert slides are well worth the money, I'm using them to study for a test right now!
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
The REA book for this test is awesome and it can be gotten on Amazon for about $10
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Hi good idea testing out of U.S history, there are a numerous free resources that this forum will tell you about if you know the search terms. It's often not what's available but what you should choose. Simple free U.S videos located here Resource: A Biography of America You'll only need the first 25 or so for US History 1. In addition these audio lectures https://archive.org/details/History_7b_S...C_Berkeley I found very helpful for History II if you do a web search for the lecturer there are U.S History lectures she did for U.S I also but I don't have time to search for those. Also remember that the Instantcert slides are well worth the money, I'm using them to study for a test right now!

Thank you for the info! By "slides" do you mean the flashcards? Or are there educational slides that I don't know about?
Thanks again Smile
I used "Crash Course" when I was studying for my Social Science and History clep. I was told that it's heavy on US history so I concentrated on that.

Crash Course is really, really good - super interesting, and does condense everything into a "crash course". I highly recommend these You tube videos.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
ptp123 Wrote:Hey guys!
I am beginning my preparation for the US History 1 CLEP. I haven't taken an American History class in forever and I guess I just don't know where to begin. I skimmed through a forum on it and while a ton of users made great suggestions, I still feel kind of stuck, as a lot of the stuff kind of went over my head. I don't want to purchase a study book because money is tight right now and I used the REA book for the College Mathematics CLEP and I HATED it. So anyway, if anyone has any advice as to how create a starting off point for myself that would be amazing!!!
Thanks in advance!! Smile

The REA book for college math is horrible, if that's the only experience you have with REA don't think they are all like that. All the other REA guides I used were excellent. I don't know why they did what they did with the math one but I couldn't even get through a chapter but also never ended up taking that CLEP either.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
This online textbook was AMAZING for me: American History [ushistory.org]

It has virtually all the information you need. You can stop reading at Chapter 36, the Gilded Age. What I did was keep a word doc open where I took notes as I read through the textbook, and then studied from that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,534 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,103 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 497 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 512 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 506 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 469 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,832 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 841 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Studying Through Brain Fog Stacie 35 2,965 08-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,298 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts