Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop, Proctored?
I have read a lot about Shmoops but I can't tell if the exams are proctored. Can someone please advise? Thanks! I just need to make sure the laptop to get.
Ekelley Wrote:I have read a lot about Shmoops but I can't tell if the exams are proctored. Can someone please advise? Thanks! I just need to make sure the laptop to get.

Nothing is proctored from Shmoop! Go get it! Go go go!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Has anyone here taken the US History I at Shmoop? My friend and I are considering signing up our 9th graders. We're trying study.com currently for Biology. It's their first class and they will be nervous about the proctoring.

We just want to know if there is a lot of busy work required, or if it is straight lesson-quiz repeatedly, followed by the final? I think we were previewing another of Shmoop's courses and were turned off by the project-work. That probably sounds lazy! It's just they both require a lot of work as far as extra time and video tie-ins, so, uh... yeah. Smile

Thanks.
bellbaby Wrote:Has anyone here taken the US History I at Shmoop? My friend and I are considering signing up our 9th graders. We're trying study.com currently for Biology. It's their first class and they will be nervous about the proctoring.

We just want to know if there is a lot of busy work required, or if it is straight lesson-quiz repeatedly, followed by the final? I think we were previewing another of Shmoop's courses and were turned off by the project-work. That probably sounds lazy! It's just they both require a lot of work as far as extra time and video tie-ins, so, uh... yeah. Smile

Thanks.

It's lesson and quiz, lesson and quiz, then after all 10+ lessons, there's a final. They just need 70% to get credit for the course.
The only downer about Shmoop is, the quiz/exams are worded really weird...in a very "funky" way, they're not 'traditional' at all.
Just make sure to have your quiz/exam open, and the course material open as well to refer to... it's open book!

bjcheung77 Wrote:It's lesson and quiz, lesson and quiz, then after all 10+ lessons, there's a final. They just need 70% to get credit for the course.
The only downer about Shmoop is, the quiz/exams are worded really weird...in a very "funky" way, they're not 'traditional' at all.
Just make sure to have your quiz/exam open, and the course material open as well to refer to... it's open book!

Yep, totally agree. Some weird test questions sometimes. Might want to be around when they take the exam in case they don't understand something (not that you always will either, I seem to remember an exam question without a question....).

An idea... My daughter did a copy / paste of the text content on each page and we turned it into a big searchable pdf she could use while taking the exam.
bellbaby Wrote:We just want to know if there is a lot of busy work required, or if it is straight lesson-quiz repeatedly, followed by the final? I think we were previewing another of Shmoop's courses and were turned off by the project-work. That probably sounds lazy! It's just they both require a lot of work as far as extra time and video tie-ins, so, uh... yeah. Smile

With Study.com, they only need about 56-59% on the final exam if they are careful with the quizzes.

I wouldn't suggest Shmoop yet. It can really hurt someone's confidence. There are threads where people really knew the subject, but didn't do very well on the Shmoop exam. This is because Shmoop has some really convoluted questions sometimes. They're trying to make it harder to cheat, but they end up making it frustrating.

Ideas Wrote:With Study.com, they only need about 56-59% on the final exam if they are careful with the quizzes.

I wouldn't suggest Shmoop yet. It can really hurt someone's confidence. There are threads where people really knew the subject, but didn't do very well on the Shmoop exam. This is because Shmoop has some really convoluted questions sometimes. They're trying to make it harder to cheat, but they end up making it frustrating.

Thanks for all the feedback. Smile
I'm surprised any college out there would accept this if they are an accredited school.
Collegelady2 Wrote:I'm surprised any college out there would accept this if they are an accredited school.

Haha, there are a few courses that are FREE and yet have college credit to them. ALEKS and Shmoop are cheap and non proctored.
Those are the only ones available that have credit for cheap without proctoring exams... get it while they last... that's all there is!

Collegelady2 Wrote:I'm surprised any college out there would accept this if they are an accredited school.

I thought so too about Shmoop, until I was taking a course there. Then you realize it's pretty hard despite being "open book".

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • a2jc4life

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 345 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com interrupted during proctored exam deeznoots 4 1,476 11-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study.com Proctored Exam Rules mikehart82 4 1,626 10-18-2022, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Notification window opened while on a proctored exam! carebear_007 7 1,326 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,478 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  SDC How long until you get your graded Proctored Final or Assignments back? daharamu 5 1,415 12-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Last Post: daharamu
  saylor proctored exams not available for wgu Hermanbrain 2 978 10-10-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Hermanbrain
  SDC Proctored Exam "Camera Disconnected" Dan A Million 15 2,385 09-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: utility
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,905 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,145 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin