Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop, Proctored?
txnicole Wrote:Yep, totally agree. Some weird test questions sometimes. Might want to be around when they take the exam in case they don't understand something (not that you always will either, I seem to remember an exam question without a question....).

An idea... My daughter did a copy / paste of the text content on each page and we turned it into a big searchable pdf she could use while taking the exam.

I did the same for the history courses. Even then you had to contend with wrong wording, convoluted interpretations, and (my most favourite) broken links to information referenced. IMHO Shmoop is fantastic for the end game they provide, but not for the content they give it to you in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22gunsonfire's post:
  • a2jc4life
Collegelady2 Wrote:I'm surprised any college out there would accept this if they are an accredited school.

You can't google the answers to Shmoop questions, you get them right or wrong based on the lessons. So proctoring wouldn't change anyone scores really. Shmoop style really really sucks, I don't recommend it and all proctoring would do is make the courses almost impossible to finish. No one care out of these choice what would George Washington most likely say... yes that was a type of question. Not what did he say what would he most likely say. Shmoop is doable and cheap so if you can suck it up its worth however many credits you can manage in the month. I got 3 courses down and started working on a English course but gave up because it was more of the same.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Collegelady2 Wrote:I'm surprised any college out there would accept this if they are an accredited school.

I have taken a lot of distance education courses in my life from a lot of accredited schools and have only ever had one proctored. I found the Shmoop history courses relatively easy because I am a history nut. The literature courses are something else. The Shakespeare course studies 9 plays and tests you in detail. It's not easy. The Women's Literature course has close to 20 required books.

They don't accept Shmoop credit (I don't believe they have any partnerships for direct credit, but I'm not 100% sure), rather they are accepting ACE's recommendation that Shmoop's content is credit-worthy. There's a difference, because of the reason a college awards CLEP credit, for example, is because of ACE's recommendation.
(05-16-2017, 12:23 PM)Old Guy Wrote:

I have taken a lot of distance education courses in my life from a lot of accredited schools and have only ever had one proctored.  I found the Shmoop history courses relatively easy because I am a history nut.  The literature courses are something else.  The Shakespeare course studies 9 plays and tests you in detail.  It's not easy.  The Women's Literature course has close to 20 required books.

The Shmoop US History is hard. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I do have a Bachelor's degree with a concentration in History, and the Shmoop questions are difficult. I would say that many people could get the same score guessing on the test as they could if they read ALL the material... because the questions are worded so that 2 are super obviously not the right answer and the other two are so close, flip a coin! I'm pretty sure the difficulty of the test makes it a lock as to why ACE will recommend it without proctoring. 

Did someone once mention on the group that Shmoop courses require just 70% for credit? Or am I confusing that with another site? I tried to check the syllabus but didn't see where they weighted it or drew it out?
I retyped two sample questions. Quizzes for US History don't go to the grade. But just as samples for those considering Shmoop...

Quiz sample:
When Christopher Columbus first hit land in the Americas, he actually thought he had hit
A) China.
B) India.
C) America.
D) Spain.

Test sample:
How does Columbus' treatment of his own sailors illustrate his complexity as a historical figure?
A) He treated them almost as badly as he did the Native Americans, which calls his prejudice against the Native Americans into question.
B) Although he lied to them, he had logical reasons for doing so, providing an example of how a difficult situation in another time period can justify actions that appear purely good or bad to us looking back.
C) He lied about the journey, but rewarded the sailors with land in the New World, making it unclear if he appreciated their work or was using them for his own means.
D) His abandonment of the sailors indicates regret at his actions in the New World and an attempt to right his own wrongs, but he still established the slave system that dominated America for centuries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bellbaby's post:
  • Ideas
(09-25-2017, 04:36 PM)bellbaby Wrote: I retyped two sample questions. Quizzes for US History don't go to the grade. But just as samples for those considering Shmoop...

Quiz sample:
When Christopher Columbus first hit land in the Americas, he actually thought he had hit
A) China.
B) India.
C) America.
D) Spain.

Test sample:
How does Columbus' treatment of his own sailors illustrate his complexity as a historical figure?
A) He treated them almost as badly as he did the Native Americans, which calls his prejudice against the Native Americans into question.
B) Although he lied to them, he had logical reasons for doing so, providing an example of how a difficult situation in another time period can justify actions that appear purely good or bad to us looking back.
C) He lied about the journey, but rewarded the sailors with land in the New World, making it unclear if he appreciated their work or was using them for his own means.
D) His abandonment of the sailors indicates regret at his actions in the New World and an attempt to right his own wrongs, but he still established the slave system that dominated America for centuries.

sees first question
Oh, that's not bad at all!

sees second question
Uhhhh. Well... flips table and walks away
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Thorne's post:
  • bellbaby, quigongene
(09-25-2017, 07:18 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 04:36 PM)bellbaby Wrote: I retyped two sample questions. Quizzes for US History don't go to the grade. But just as samples for those considering Shmoop...

Quiz sample:
A) China.
B) India.
C) America.
D) Spain.

Test sample:

sees first question
Oh, that's not bad at all!

sees second question
Uhhhh. Well... flips table and walks away

Right?!!!
Yep, I am currently trying not to go insane over Literature in the Media. I kinda like it -- if I were doing this for fun. For credit, it's maddening. On the last unit, I literally answered every question on every quiz correctly almost without thought, except one (a line from a poem, and I couldn't remember which poem) -- and then completely bombed the test. :/

But yes, 70% is required overall to pass.
And I agree that I have taken a number of unproctored exams through accredited distance courses. My AAS required a certain percentage of final exams be proctored. 10%, maybe? Something like that. The others were all unproctored.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com interrupted during proctored exam deeznoots 4 1,472 11-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study.com Proctored Exam Rules mikehart82 4 1,618 10-18-2022, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Notification window opened while on a proctored exam! carebear_007 7 1,297 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,473 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  SDC How long until you get your graded Proctored Final or Assignments back? daharamu 5 1,411 12-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Last Post: daharamu
  saylor proctored exams not available for wgu Hermanbrain 2 975 10-10-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Hermanbrain
  SDC Proctored Exam "Camera Disconnected" Dan A Million 15 2,384 09-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: utility
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,903 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,133 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin